Are shrimp really intolerant of large water changes? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Are shrimp really intolerant of large water changes?

Are they really that sensitive to large water changes and really do need water params to be kept relatively stable or else they will die?

Sensitive Caridina I can understand, but I thought Neocaridina are very hardy?

I am pretty sure many people do keep Red Cherry Shrimp (Neo) in EI dosed planted tanks and do large water changes weekly right and no ill effects?

I usually do 50-80% water changes on my tanks. Just wanted to hear more from shrimp keepers and their experience with shrimp and larger water changes.

I am guessing it might depend on the strains of color morphs of Neocaridina Heteropoda/Davidi as some are more interbred for desired traits. Or do you think all Neos should still be relatively as hardy as the commercial RCS and be able to tolerate large water changes perfectly well?

Reason for asking is I wanted to put them in a community tank (yes, shrimp-"safe", micro fish), but I still would prefer to do 50%+ water changes every week or two.
A shrimp only tank I wouldn't really mind doing 10-20% water changes, but still can Neos really not handle larger water changes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 02:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I keep fire red cherry shrimp in both my community tank and also a 20 gal tank on their own(no fishes).
I perform 50 % water changes in both with no ill effect's judging from number's.
I do not dose full EI for my tank's are low energy NON CO2.(moderate light)
Maybe I add 1/4 EI to both tanks.GH 12 ,pH 7.6 from the tap.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 03:22 PM
Doesnt Abide

I think it would depend on how close in chemistry the tank water vs new water is and how slow the new water is added. @roadmaster Do you drip your new water in? I want to do larger changes but the last time I did I had a shrimp die so I am going to start dripping my new water in and go back to 30% changes. I had read that shrimp are intolerant of water changes as well. Maybe that is the answer for @WaterLife is slow addition of new water when doing larger changes. I'm curious myself.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 03:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

My water comes from the tap through Aqueon water changer.
I just try and keep water temp warm when re-filling and add enough Tetra pond safe for the tank's volume rather than that which I removed.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 04:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I do exactly what roadmaster outlined. ~50% water change from the tap, dose my dechlorinator, go on about my business. No issues with my shrimp. They are actually reproducing, so I can't call them finicky.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 05:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

IMO...
The water changes need to be very consistent to work for shrimp better. They are better if that especially includes the amount. I think this 50-80% is detrimental to them.
EI REQUIRES 50%, but the Zorfox recently told me that less is possible for lower doses of the EI. Example: I have med level of plants and no injected. So I dose two doses of
3ml of a solution which calls for three doses of 5 ml per dose. The second dose combo is
after I skip one day and primarily is for the micros which don't last a whole week.
Concept disclaimer...LOL...I no longer keep shrimp in this tank. I introduced a micro
predator fish(1) into this tank and since have not been successful in keeping shrimp in there.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My shrimp (Amanos and cherry shrimp) do not seem to like big water changes. It's not that they die, but they hide and are less active. They just seem happier and more active if I change a little a day rather than 50% a week.

I like EI dosing, but I am switching to PPS, to accommodate smaller water changes.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 06:13 PM
Planted Member

In my community tank i have amano and my rcs culls. Its EI dosed, diy co2 injected and daily capfull of excel. The tank is too heavily planted to really see if they are hurting but even after my weekly 50% water changes i can still count all 10 amanos and at least 15 rcs. I think I've put about 20-25 in there so far,and i have seen some new shrimplets. In my experience these shrimp are enchanted with magic cause they've survived a lot of my newbie mistakes.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 07:14 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
IMO...

Concept disclaimer...LOL...I no longer keep shrimp in this tank. I introduced a micro
predator fish(1) into this tank and since have not been successful in keeping shrimp in there.
What micro fish did you put in? I'm wondering if my CPDs are killing the shrimp I try to introduce.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 07:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Very definately. They can smell when a shrimp molts and they attack it while it's defenseless. At times they seem to be contented/w the regular fish food because of programming through the regular feeding that they grow up on in captivity.
But it's in their blood to hunt.
This is a link to my fish. Okefenokee Pygmy Sunfish for Sale at Sachs Systems
You will notice that these fish are listed as "live food only" so good luck on keeping shrimp in/w them. They only get 1.25" but that doesn't mean they don't
harrass the poor shrimp to death/w bad nerves...LOl...

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 08:22 PM
Planted Member

I usually do not do such big water changes...

Stability is the key for the shrimps. Even the NeoCaridina - which is very hardy - can suffer from big changes, and IMO, 50% is too much.

As long as you have cycled your tank, install a good filtration and check water parameters, I don't see any reason why you change water every week. From my side I top up the tanks when necessary, and change 10-15% water every 3/4 weeks.
No losses so far, and very active shrimps

Just my .02
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 08:37 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matuva View Post

Stability is the key for the shrimps. Even the NeoCaridina - which is very hardy - can suffer from big changes, and IMO, 50% is too much.

As long as you have cycled your tank, install a good filtration and check water parameters, I don't see any reason why you change water every week. From my side I top up the tanks when necessary, and change 10-15% water every 3/4 weeks.

Just my .02
yep, exactly what I do as well. just top off w/ RO water

my buce addiction: it is contagious, expensive and beautiful.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 08:48 PM
Planted Member

Even with EI dosing methods?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 09:20 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramflowz View Post
Even with EI dosing methods?
Honestly I can't tell in that case. I don't dose a lot in my tank, just a few Flourish Excel.
I'm happy with that and with the shrimp colonies thriving, I have enough nutriments for the plants

In the case of EI dosing, yes, weekly water changes may be a must
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 09:26 PM
Doesnt Abide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matuva View Post

Just my .02
I change mine because with the driftwood in the tank the ph is steadily dropping. The ph in mine has dropped from 8.4 to 8 maybe almost 7.8 in less than two months. I am afraid if I dont keep up with it that it will drop at an accelerated rate as the buffers are used up causing even bigger ph swings when I do a change. I think that this ph difference is what caused one of my shrimp losses after a water change of 40% or so. Going forward I will be dripping my new water in. I am not 100% sure that the water change caused a stress death but seems plausible and maybe probable.

Last edited by thedood; 11-19-2015 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Grammar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode