Mystery snail eating banana plant rhizome? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Mystery snail eating banana plant rhizome?

Today I found one of my mystery snails eating my banana plant's rhizome (the fat tubes). I had noticed that the tubes had been slowly changing to a kind of yellowish color over the past month. Is my banana plant dying and the snail is just taking advantage? They've never eaten any other plant in the tank in the four months I've had them. They get fed shrimp pellets, algae wafers, zuchinni slices, and calcium supplements, so I know they are getting enough food. Should I remove the banana plant? Besides the nomed on rhizome, the plant looks healthy. Thanks for any help.

I have no idea what I'm doing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 02:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If the snail never hurt your plants before, and the tubers turned yellow, I'd guess it's feeding off part of the plant that is already dying.

Don't give up on the banana plant yet. Sometimes they grow new "bananas" when the old ones die. I'd just leave things be for now.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randym View Post
If the snail never hurt your plants before, and the tubers turned yellow, I'd guess it's feeding off part of the plant that is already dying.

Don't give up on the banana plant yet. Sometimes they grow new "bananas" when the old ones die. I'd just leave things be for now.
Thanks for the help. I'll leave everything alone for now. Hopefully the plant will make it. Thanks again!

I have no idea what I'm doing!
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 05:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

My banana plants tubers did that. Then they feel off. The plant kept growing and putting out leaves but never got the bananas back. Doing some research I found out that this is very common. Sometimes they grow them back but a lot of times they don't. Mystery snails will not eat live plants unless they cannot get other food. There are some types of Apple snails that do eat plants but those get very big.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode