Snail ID? - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
PTrader: (1/100%)
Snail ID?

Over the last couple weeks I've started seeing a few tiny snails in my tank. I'm not quite sure where they came from since I haven't added anything except a retail-sealed thermometer to the tank since July. I think they are pond/bladder snails but I'm not sure.

I've attached a pic of the first one that was big enough to show any markings. It's about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch long. My main concern about them being there is that they may increase the bioload since, as the picture illustrates, they seem to defecate a huge amount.

I've mostly only seen them on my floaters, but I have seen one smaller ones on the glass.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unidentified snail.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	523265  

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 05:11 AM
Algae Grower
PTrader: (1/100%)
Yup looks like pond snails. Lure them with some blanch cucumber or just pick out what you can see. Chances are they got some eggs laid in your tank.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 06:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
PTrader: (0/0%)
Yup, bladder snails.
Like miataisalwaystheanswer said, there were probably eggs that hitched on plants and the babies have now just become visible. I had some that came in a clump of Java moss. It took about a month or so before I could actually see the less than 1/8 inch babies.
I let them be, they help to clear algae from the leaves. Yes they poop, I see it as the algae being recycled into nutrients for the plants.
Snail numbers should not explode if you don't over feed your tank livestock.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!

hitchhiker, pest snail, snail

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode