The Planted Tank Forum banner

After months of trying...assassins!!!!!

5K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  SteveCorle 
#1 ·
I'm so excited tonight. I looked over and saw this:

They're finally laying eggs for me after months of trying!!!! I've got two females actively laying assassin eggs!!

Don't worry though, they have plenty of food available:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#5 ·
I've seen an occasional one here and there on a rock, but I've never seen it like that either, she literally went and laid eggs in every crack and crevice she could find it seems. All I could think about was it almost looked like Christmas decorations :hihi:

Errmahhhgerdddd snerlsssssss
Oh I've got snails, let me know if you need any rams horns LOL :icon_twis

sweet I have two assasins and I saw a bunch of those a while back, didnt know what they were. hope they survived and I see them all grown up soon.
They should take 21-30 days to hatch depending, then you won't see them until they've grown a good chunk. Everything I've read indicates they go into the substrate much like MTS normally do to eat and grow and then once they're bigger they start being easier to see.

#12 ·
Cool! I've never seen any actual eggs before but I have a mess of juvenile assassin snails in one of my tanks right now.

What method did you use to sex these snails? Everything I read has said that no one knows how to tell the difference in the sexes so to breed them you need a grouping of four or five to be sure you have a mix. How did you figure that out?

#14 ·
I figured out these were the females when I caught them laying eggs, that's about the only way that you can do it. There's about 8-10 adults in there, so I was pretty sure I hat at least a few females and males

Bump:
Congrats!

Looks like they like tight crevices to lay eggs in. Maybe you could incorporate a pile of rocks for them to lay eggs in or some other object with tight grooves (mesh, hair comb, etc.)
That's very good to know! I'll have to see what I can do to incorporate that into that tank to make them happy :hihi:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.