The Planted Tank Forum banner

Snails able to walk on Eco-complete substrate?

10K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  fishhes 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if snails have trouble moving across Eco-Complete substrate?

I believe its crushed lava rocks and probably sharp.

I know with gardening with lets say tomato plants, they say to make a border around the plant with crushed egg shells so the snails won't eat your tomato plants. Basically the crush egg shells are suppose to be sharp and cut the snail so they will avoid and save your tomato plant.

I am thinking of getting 1 or 2 snails to eat the flakes however I am wondering if maybe I have to cover the bottom of the tank with a smoother substrate in order to allow the snails to walk over it.

Does anyone with Eco-complete confirm if the snails avoid the substrate or are able to walk over it?

Thanks.

#2 ·
Many many moons ago, I saw a picture in a book(pre-internet days) of a snail "walking" across the edge of a razor blade with the edge facing straight up. Typical garden snail.

#7 ·
I have a 120 with eco. snails are fine. I have a 55 and used that black diamond blasting sand....they even are fine on that stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.