how do you get rid of scuds? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

how do you get rid of scuds?

I have a tank that has yellow shrimps in and I noticed 2 days ago that there are a whole mess of scuds climbing all around the substrait (plain aquarium rocks). I took all the plants out and carefully inspected them and placed them in a seprate container and then fished out all the shrimps. I then took the rocks and placed them in very hot water for 30 minutes and cleaned the aquarium down. I put everything back together and grabbed water from another tank - but darn it! I still saw a few still climbing around. The yellow shrimps are in a breeding tank sitting in another tank until I can figure out how to get rid of them suckers. Any suggestions? Lucky for me, this is a 2 gal tank that I am working with.
Another question, Would moss and HC survive a bleach dip?

Eheim Pimp #304
Victor Pimp #21
55gal planted, Eheim 2215,2-65w coralife 6700k cf,flourite w/super naturals tahitian moon sand, EI dosing, Angles, Ottos, Neon Tetras, SAE, Yoyo Loach
35gal high planted, Eheim 2215, 1-96w coralife6700k cf, flourite sand, RCS
2 - 10gal planted shrimp tanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 11:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

they are probably hiding in the gravel so i doubt you could remove them without destroying your biological filter. Why would you want to remove them? HC probably won't do well with bleach, moss is usually ok if its a quick dip.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've read that they do attack baby shrimps. Besides, they are kinda creepy to me.
I did take all the gravel and placed it into very hot water - trying to kill them. I think that I might have missed quite a few when I pulled the plants out. Either that, or hot water will not kill them (superbugs?). I was going to bleach dip the plants before doing this again. I guess that the moss and hc will have to be placed in a separate container until I can determine if they are infected or not. Do you think bleach dipping the other plants (crypts) will kill them? And should I boil the substrait this time around? or just get all new substrait?
My biological filter is already shot to heck. So I am basically starting from scratch again. Lucky for me, I have only 21 yellow shrimps, so having them in a breeder net should be ok for a few weeks (I hope), just until I can cycle the 2 gal tank.

Eheim Pimp #304
Victor Pimp #21
55gal planted, Eheim 2215,2-65w coralife 6700k cf,flourite w/super naturals tahitian moon sand, EI dosing, Angles, Ottos, Neon Tetras, SAE, Yoyo Loach
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 12:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

or put the shrimp in the net for a few days and buy some fish. Fish will eat them .
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

a gravel vac would get a lot of them. You could also take out the plants and freeze the rest of the tank w/o h2o or shrimp so you won't kill off the bacteria and kill the scuds. the vac the bodies out after thawing. You should also give the plants a 3% bleach solution dip to kill of any remaining scuds on those too.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 01:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilfinger View Post
I did take all the gravel and placed it into very hot water - trying to kill them. I think that I might have missed quite a few when I pulled the plants out
Doing so will kill all of the beneficial bacteria, which means you'll have to "mini-cycle" all over again (assuming you still have bacteria in the filter).

I'd try to siphon as much of the gravel as you can to try and get rid of them.

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 01:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

wow, all this hassle to accomplish such an easy task! First get the tank recycled and then add half a dozen neon tetras for a week. Whala.

This user has been suspended indefinitely due to the abuse of the Swap and Shop forum.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsandwitch View Post
wow, all this hassle to accomplish such an easy task! First get the tank recycled and then add half a dozen neon tetras for a week. Whala.

Great idea but then I'm stuck with the fish when they accomplished their task. I did have a betta in the tank before the shrimps and apparently the betta did not take care of the scuds. I had moved him to the bigger tank (55 gal planted) when the yellow shrimps came in. There were no scuds with the shrimps so it leaves me to believe that they came with one of the plants (crypts, HC, mosses). The betta should of taken care of the scud but apparently he did not.

I have taken the tank and drained it and stuck it outside. It is currently 6 degrees outside (wind chill -2). I think that it should freeze pretty good in this temp. The plants in the mean time have all been dipped in bleach solution and the moss and HC are in a jar for QT.
I will have to take one of my mollies and stick it into this tank to cycle it all over again (he's not going to like the smaller tank). Hopefully this will all take care of my problem with scuds. I think that it came with some of my mosses because the crypts were dipped before going into the tank. The HC are so small, I don't think that I could miss a scud on those plants. The moss was the only thing that I threw in as a clump.

Eheim Pimp #304
Victor Pimp #21
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

so has anyone actually seen the scuds eat baby shrimp or is this another theory thats out there?
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

Patriot Missiles...

Tommy

><;;;"> <9))>>{

Eheim Pimp #204.
58 gal planted Oceanic
Red Turquiose Discus, Japonica shrimp, assorted Blue Eyed Rainbows, Tetras, Hatchets, Danios, Rasboras
10 gal low tech planted Celestial Pearl Danio (Celestichthys margaritatus) & Emerald Dwarf Rasbora (Microrasbora erythromicron)
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS6 Tommy View Post
Patriot Missiles...

Tommy
I was waiting for someone to say that
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

? I don't get it.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblongshrimp View Post
? I don't get it.
How old were you during the first Gulf War?
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

any good LFS would take fish back...

This user has been suspended indefinitely due to the abuse of the Swap and Shop forum.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 12:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

I was 7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode