how do you get rid of scuds? - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 07:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HI
Posts: 705
put a slice of zucchini in the tank overnight, scuds love the stuff and will be covering it in no time. before the light comes on, slowly net it out (I use a tweezer to slowly lift slice into a fine mesh net and remove). they cling to the slice and most will remain. rinse in a tank of fish as food or simply rinse under a faucet to get rid of them. put the slice back in the tank and repeat until you find only a few attached after a night. by that point you will have knocked back the population quite a bit but you will never get rid of them unless you nuke the tank. I like dwarf gourami's and loaches so I use them as a ready live food source. but I have lost entire tanks of shrimp to them when I ignored them too long. I really hate the little bastards.....
dhavoc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 06:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhavoc View Post
put a slice of zucchini in the tank overnight, scuds love the stuff and will be covering it in no time. before the light comes on, slowly net it out (I use a tweezer to slowly lift slice into a fine mesh net and remove). they cling to the slice and most will remain. rinse in a tank of fish as food or simply rinse under a faucet to get rid of them. put the slice back in the tank and repeat until you find only a few attached after a night. by that point you will have knocked back the population quite a bit but you will never get rid of them unless you nuke the tank. I like dwarf gourami's and loaches so I use them as a ready live food source. but I have lost entire tanks of shrimp to them when I ignored them too long. I really hate the little bastards.....
Scuds are easily spooked and extremely fast. No way on earth will netting them with a bait will ever worked.

On other note: Betta is a weak slow swimmer. If you want to add fish add tetras.
CookieM is offline  
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 06:44 PM
Invert Warrior
 
MABJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 3,886
how do you get rid of scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieM View Post
Scuds are easily spooked and extremely fast. No way on earth will netting them with a bait will ever worked.

On other note: Betta is a weak slow swimmer. If you want to add fish add tetras.
The above method works with a jar as a trap.

*Retired for now*
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline  
post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 07:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HI
Posts: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieM View Post
Scuds are easily spooked and extremely fast. No way on earth will netting them with a bait will ever worked.

On other note: Betta is a weak slow swimmer. If you want to add fish add tetras.
not when they are feeding, kinda like crays, they cling to the food until you raise it out of the water, trick is to lift slowly into the net or jar while in the tank then lift out. a few will escape, but IME, you will get almost all that were attached to the zuch.
dhavoc is offline  
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 09:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
auban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 596
remove shrimp, add sparkling soda.

the CO2 levels skyrocket to insanely high levels instantly. ph instantly drops to incredibly low levels. plants sometimes suffer, but are usually ok if you leave the lights on. best part is, no chemicals left over.

its like cranking the CO2 up, only much faster and more dramatically. you have to remove the shrimp though...
auban is offline  
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Algae Grower
 
trueblu8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by auban View Post
remove shrimp, add sparkling soda.

the CO2 levels skyrocket to insanely high levels instantly. ph instantly drops to incredibly low levels. plants sometimes suffer, but are usually ok if you leave the lights on. best part is, no chemicals left over.

its like cranking the CO2 up, only much faster and more dramatically. you have to remove the shrimp though...
Wow. This sounds like an awesome method. Anybody tried it yet?

I'm new to scuds and I'm desperate. I think they're eating my mini pellia, and my oebt's. Their population has gotten out of control. I was thinking about adding some guppies. But auban's method above seems like a much better option. I've got seltzer water and tonic water. How much should I use 1 liter or 2 liters? Tank is a 10 gallon.
trueblu8 is offline  
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 06:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 732
Use carbonated water if you're going to try it, not tonic or anything else that has sugar and stuff in it.
Puddles is offline  
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 06:22 AM
Algae Grower
 
trueblu8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 123
So basically seltzer water right, without the twist of lemon or lime?
trueblu8 is offline  
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 05:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Soothing Shrimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 6,607
" How much should I use 1 liter or 2 liters? Tank is a 10 gallon. "

Good question!

RAOK Club and BBRR Club! My thinking has been invert-ed!
Soothing Shrimp is offline  
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 09:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 805
Seriously just add fish to get rid of scuds. Remove shrimp prior to adding fish. Using all these chemical method and you'll regret it later on.
CookieM is offline  
post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 09:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: alamo, CA
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieM View Post
Seriously just add fish to get rid of scuds. Remove shrimp prior to adding fish. Using all these chemical method and you'll regret it later on.
What chemicals? All this is is co2 water. As long as you get all the shrimp out and any super sensitive plants maybe they will be fine. It'll be over in an evening, tank only needs 45 mins maybe for the scuds to suffocate. Then swirl the water with your hand and dump the animals back in.
mr.bigglesworth is offline  
post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
auban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 596
when i did it, i added the carbonated water (sparkling soda) in 4 oz increments. i cant remember how much i used, i think it was less than a liter though.

i imagine the exact dose would vary. either way, the scuds first darted for cover, then started looking like they were trying to crawl out of the tank, and then started dying. it didnt take very long. just be sure to bubble the water and check the ph to make sure its back to normal before you add your shrimp back in.
auban is offline  
post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 09:37 AM
Algae Grower
 
trueblu8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 123
An evening of just adding co2 sounds good to me. Although adding fish and watching them hunt down and munch on those scuds sounds fun who knows if they would ever get them all, especially if you have lots of thick mosses and hiding places like I do. You could be waiting forever. And they may never get them all. And then what would you do with your shrimp for all that time? I'm going to try this method. But I'm going to wait an extra day or two for the tank to rebalance itself before reintroducing shrimp. That way I could give the pH and oxygen levels a little more time to return to normal.
trueblu8 is offline  
post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 04:26 PM
ADA
Wannabe Guru
 
ADA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblu8 View Post
An evening of just adding co2 sounds good to me. Although adding fish and watching them hunt down and munch on those scuds sounds fun who knows if they would ever get them all, especially if you have lots of thick mosses and hiding places like I do. You could be waiting forever. And they may never get them all. And then what would you do with your shrimp for all that time? I'm going to try this method. But I'm going to wait an extra day or two for the tank to rebalance itself before reintroducing shrimp. That way I could give the pH and oxygen levels a little more time to return to normal.
Sounds like an excellent method. Great idea.
ADA is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome