Originally Posted by oblongshrimp View Post
I was 7
Lol. That MIGHT be why.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scud_missile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 01:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Back on topic, I don't see how scuds would be an issue. They're not much bigger than baby shrimp anyway. Personally I think they're kinda cool and cute too.
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

this is why I wanted to get rid of the scuds...

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ds-shrimp.html

dhavoc states
"you dont want to mess with them. yes they are easy to breed as feeders, but they are also IMPOSSIBLE to eliminate from any tank they are introduced to. and remember, they are plant eaters (especially mosses). and the big negative... if they cant get enough food, they WILL become carniverous, they have wiped out my opae ulae tank (yes they can adapt immediately from fresh to brackish water). they also will attack newly molted shrimp.

they are not worth messing with, go with daphnia if you need a live food source. scuds are just too hard to get rid of. "

I did not want them eating my plants or the shrimps. This is a small 2 gal tank and not much plants in the tank to begin with (2 baby crypts, 20 stems of hc, half of a golf ball size of moss)

Eheim Pimp #304
Victor Pimp #21
55gal planted, Eheim 2215,2-65w coralife 6700k cf,flourite w/super naturals tahitian moon sand, EI dosing, Angles, Ottos, Neon Tetras, SAE, Yoyo Loach
35gal high planted, Eheim 2215, 1-96w coralife6700k cf, flourite sand, RCS
2 - 10gal planted shrimp tanks
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 07:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i wrote that a while back and i still agree with it. i just nuked another tank just to get rid of them, and coincidentally it was my yellow shrimp tank. i have been trapping the scuds from that tank to feed my dwarf puffers, chanoides bettas and chocolate gouramis for 6 months now. but even with removing 100+ a day, they still overan the tank (15g). there were only shrimps in there so no natural predators to keep them in check. last straw was when i caught them taking down another newly molted shrimp. breeding had gone down as the scud population went up, and i hadnt had any recent babies survive at all in a month. could be water conditions, but i dont think so. scuds only become an issue when there are no predators (fish) to keep them in check. i have them in all my planted tanks, and they are not a problem because of the fish. its only in my shrimp only tanks i need to make sure they dont get in.

with the plants you have, only the moss is really in danger, they will eat it to the stem in no time. i have found that they dont touch fissidens, so that may be another option instead of the moss if you cant erradicate them.

they infest pretty much any tank you come across here in Hawaii and many freshwater streams and lakes as well. the way i keep them out of a new tank is to rinse plants well under a good current of water, then put in a clean container for a few hours, rinse again, and repeat for a couple of days. rinsing removes the adults, but its the babies (so small you would barely notice them) that are harder to remove, and thus require multiple washes. it only takes a few to start an infestation all over again. just be patient and rinse well or do a bleach dip. good luck.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I had noticed that they will survive in a tank that has not been cycled yet. They had survived in a tank that had ammonia was at 1.5, nitrite was at 2.0, and nitrate was at 20. So, they are tuff little buggers! But I think that I have finally got them (I hope). I did place the tank with substrait out into the cold single digit weather for several hours, and then let it thaw in the house. It has been a couple of days and I have left it sit empty of water for a few days. I will fill it up tomorrow and we will see how it goes. I know that I will have to start the cycle thing from scratch - but that isn't a problem.
A quick question, How long can you keep 21 shrimps in a breeder net (with a little bit of moss)? Should I feed them everyday?
Thanks dhavoc for your observations and posting them! The information saved me from having shrimp lost to them scuds!

Eheim Pimp #304
Victor Pimp #21
55gal planted, Eheim 2215,2-65w coralife 6700k cf,flourite w/super naturals tahitian moon sand, EI dosing, Angles, Ottos, Neon Tetras, SAE, Yoyo Loach
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 08:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

no problem. as for your yellows, if they are in a cycled tank, they can survive pretty much indefinitely in the breeder net. i use them myself and have kept shrimp in them for months on end.
post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Shrimp Tank Obsessed

Interesting idea and hopefully it will work for you. I am pretty sure Scuds carry eggs like shrimp and don't "lay" them so as long as they are all dead now you should see no more.

Bio-Film... It's whats for dinner.
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Deactivated

If you have co2 you can always crank the co2 way up at least that works for killing other shrimp.Yes, I learned the hard way. I do not know the effect it would have on the biological filter, it didnt seem to harm mine.
post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

no, no co2 - this is just a small 2 gal tank.
I'm adding water back into it today. I'm crossing my fingers and hopeing that everything turns out fine. If not then I'm ditching the gravel and scrubbing the hell out of the tank and adding all new gravel (starting from square one).

Eheim Pimp #304
Victor Pimp #21
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

Interesting dhavoc. Come to think of it I do have a tank of tiger shrimp with scuds and I haven't seen any baby shrimp in there....I was wondering why and that could be the reason. Guess I will have to remove them and get some hungry fish in there to eat them, or just gas them with CO2.
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

UPDATE. tank is up and running... no signs of scuds. Looks like freezing them did the trick!
Thanks for your help everyone!

Eheim Pimp #304
Victor Pimp #21
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 05:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblongshrimp View Post
so has anyone actually seen the scuds eat baby shrimp or is this another theory thats out there?
I hope that is just a myth because I have a plethora of baby crs in my tank which also has unfortunately acquired scuds. :0/
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 05:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

i totally just found one in my pfr/crs tank... i don't see anymore tho.. anychance that i only have one?
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 06:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I dealt with scuds before. The only best way to get rid of them is temporary move your shrimps into another tank with water from the old tank, at least half and bring old filter or sponge over. Then add a bunch of aggressive fish, use a rod/stick to stir up the gravel and keep doing it over 2 days.

I try other methods and no success, scuds are extremely fast and able to burrow in the soils. So there are no other way of removing them than by the method above.
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 11:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

If I'm going through the trouble of netting all the shrimps out, I'd do it with fish for way more than 2 days. It doesn't take many of them to reproduce back in full force in a few weeks.

I personally witness they attack a juvi size fire red about 1.5 - 2 month old. About 4 or 5 clinched on the shrimp and won't let go. The fire red was losing the battle after only a minute or two, I netted it out, left it in a feeding dish (with no scud), two days later when I finally remembered, I checked and the shrimp was still alive and kicking. Put it back in the tank and it swam away.... I still don't have a good way to control these things, reduce feeding worked to certain degree but there are still a lot of them in the tank.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode