Mexican Dwarf Orange Crayfish, Cambarellus patzcuarensis - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1
Mexican Dwarf Orange Crayfish, Cambarellus patzcuarensis

Tell me about these please. I just bought a pair of them. I have seen a couple articles, but I am looking for firsthand experience on their care. What do they eat? Best water parameters? Ok with soft stem plants & HC? They will be the only critter in the tank. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

CPO is what they are called
hard to breed and they dont allways breed true.
expensive, at more than 50 a pair
should be fine in nuetral water, and fine with shrimps or plants or fish

This user has been suspended indefinitely due to the abuse of the Swap and Shop forum.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfaller1 View Post
Tell me about these please. I just bought a pair of them. I have seen a couple articles, but I am looking for firsthand experience on their care. What do they eat? Best water parameters? Ok with soft stem plants & HC? They will be the only critter in the tank. Thank you
Hi Carole,

Southerndesert just purchased a pair within the last month. He has posted some information on these guys and gals at his web site. One thing I did read on CPO was that the babies will eat each other during a molt if they are not given enough hiding places.

Best of luck with them!

The most important things are the hardest to say, because words diminish them. S. King
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 08:51 PM
Algae Grower

crayfish are nice looking. Where do you get them?
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 09:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquagirl View Post
Hi Carole,

Southerndesert just purchased a pair within the last month. He has posted some information on these guys and gals at his web site. One thing I did read on CPO was that the babies will eat each other during a molt if they are not given enough hiding places.

Best of luck with them!
Cannibalism is quite normal for Most Crayfish. Marbles are peaceful though as they clone themselves. Also Cherax Sp. And there young are pretty peaceful too.

Here's a great web site for you guys:

www.bluecrayfish.com/forum/index.php
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 09:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to Natty Send a message via MSN to Natty
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquagirl View Post
One thing I did read on CPO was that the babies will eat each other during a molt if they are not given enough hiding places.

I think this applies to most crayfish species, even the larger variety. That's why it's highly recommended to supply them with a good amount of hiding places due to this. However, they're not completely helpless during molts, they can still flick their tails during a molt to move somewhere else, I've seen it.

Dwarf species act pretty much the same as the normal ones, however, their size effects their potential if you know what I mean....

So:

1. Hiding places
2. Unlike dwarf shrimps, you cannot crowd them together, they aren't exactly communal towards each other or similar size creatures. They fight a lot.
3. I would say they require more food than dwarf shrimps. From my experience, they seem to wonder around and become slightly more aggressive if there's no immediate food at hand when they're hungry.

If you don't feed them enough they will probably go after snails and nibble a bit on your plants. Like I said though, due to their size, their potential is actually much less, that's why its not a big concern.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Lots of great answers and info everyone. I do appreciate it.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Congrats! I have what I thought was a pair, but now I think it is two females. Either way, I've got a male coming next week for them

I keep mine in a 10 gallon with lava rocks that provide lots of hiding places, moss and guppy grass. They seem to love climbing around in the guppy grass. I feed them shrimp pellets and crab & lobster bites, and I have found some empty ramshorn snail shells in the tank, so I believe they are snail-eaters. For the most part, they get along really well and only squabble occasionally over food.

Good luck with them! I think they are awesome little guys

Edited to add: This is some of the best info that I have found on them, but there isn't really alot of info on them because not too many people have them. http://www.petshrimp.com/discussions...bdc97f43dad2dd

Morgan

7 gallon in the works ~ planted ~ CPO's & Gardneri Killifish
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 10:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i have several and they are breeding regularly now. i keep them in a 10g with alot of driftwood and plants plus ceramic pots (the cheap orange orchid type). they are climbers and pretty spunky little guys. if you want to breed them and have most of the offspring survive, you need to remove the berried females to a breeder tank or net, and remove the female as soon as she drops the hatching fry (they are food for her if she catches them). move the fry to another tank or provide alot of moss/plants and hiding places while they grow. cpo's are like any other cray and are opportunistic feeders. keep them well fed to minimize the cannibalistic urges. havent seen one munch on a plant yet (my c. shulfeldti's either) but i dont doubt they would if hungry. they do breed true for the most part, unlike the blue morph available occasionally from germany.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Very cool. I am looking forward to getting them. I wanted something interesting for this tank. Thanks for the replies.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Shrimp Tank Obsessed

I have 6 in a 15 tall with Lava Roch and a half dozen caves. They do not bother plants or each other for that matter other than some mock fighting over the caves if one intrudes. They will be moved to a 60 gallon soon....

I have not bred them yet and Darrin your info was very welcome. I was hoping the lava rock would supply hiding spots in the large tank, but perhaps I will follow your advise to assure a higher survival rate. How long does the female carry the eggs before they hatch in your experience?

Cheers, Bill

Bio-Film... It's whats for dinner.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hi Bill,
I was going to make my way over and give you a congrats at your site today. Good luck with them. Any pics? Did you get yours from Heather?
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

A guy on another forum used straws for his blue cray babies. Basically, he just grabbed a handful of straws and tied them together in the middle, that way both of the ends were open. It was a quick easy way to provide lots of hiding spots for the babies, and the adults aren't able to get to them. I thought it was a pretty good idea, and I might try it if I get a batch of babies. Here is the link http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/bree...ourney-19.html

Morgan

7 gallon in the works ~ planted ~ CPO's & Gardneri Killifish
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Shrimp Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfaller1 View Post
Hi Bill,
I was going to make my way over and give you a congrats at your site today. Good luck with them. Any pics? Did you get yours from Heather?
Thank you Carole! I got a pair from Heather and 4 from Jason (shrimp-n-it)

They are some of the coolest inverts ever! Though more peaceful than most Crays I have had experience with.

Cheers, Bill

Bio-Film... It's whats for dinner.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Haha..killer pic! I have dealt with Heather several times, her invert food is a favorite with my shrimp. They prefer it over just about anything. I have also dealt with Jason, I got my blue pearls from him.
It's a small invert world...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode