Crystal Shrimp - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Crystal Shrimp

Hi everyone, its been a long time since I have been here but thought I would take some time and do some reading and posting which I will do in the next while.

I have been in the "aquarium hobby" for more that 20+ years, in that time had many different kinds of fish etc and breeding some as well. I also have a 2 gal pico saltwater tank that is very neat as well, the saltwater hobby is whole other ball game.

But recently I have wanted to get a few Crystal Shrimp, so at the moment I have a few red and black crystals. I see many people are keeping and breeding these shrimp very well in soft water. I do not have soft water from the tap, years ago when I was breeding Angel fish I attempted to soften my water for these lovely fish so they can rear some young, time and time again I lost every single baby that became free swimming, so enough of that and before I decided to throw in the towel completely I decided to leave well enough alone, do water change and do nothing but treat the tap water and see what happens. Low and behold over time I had more babies than I knew what to do with. I kept this going for a while till I no long enjoyed what I was doing and then from that point on just kept a single freshwater tank for pure enjoyment.

So where this is leading is, for people like myself that do not have naturally soft water and yes there are many things to soften the water but then you get that darn ph swing everytime, if I were to leave it be like I did with the angels will these shrimp ever have young?

I do have mopani in my tanks, so that lowers the ph naturally but I don't add anything else in my tank for them except water conditioner and I use prime. I also so weekly water changes and they are fed a balanced diet. I have seen many molts, the 3 adults I have are doing well, the two teeny tiny babies I was given are growing very well too. So they seem quite happy but have not seen any eggs as of yet with the females. I have only had them for approx 4 weeks as well. I have Christmas moss on my wood which they love to dig around in and use a sponge filter for them too. Water temp is 76 i have not tested the ph in the tank.

I do have Indian Almond Leaves which I certainly can use if needed but as far as adding anything else to lower the ph I sure do not want to do it for the fear of that bounce happening.

So will these shrimp once use to this water have young?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 05:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

You need to use RO water for these shrimp. Then remineralize with a product of your choice. The two most common are Salty's GH+ and Mosura Mineral Plus. While people have managed to keep CRS alive in various tap waters, you will not likely have a thriving colony until you use RO water and remineralize.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, that is good to know. I just talked with the fellow I bought these from he uses half RO and half tap water treated. Is this what you mean?
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsy View Post
Thanks, that is good to know. I just talked with the fellow I bought these from he uses half RO and half tap water treated. Is this what you mean?
There's something called a remineralizer that adds shrimp specific ionic compounds back into your water for your shrimp to shed their shell properly. Usually you do a certain amount X to bring your hardness of your water (which is 0 because of R.O water) to a certain amount.

Some people simply do half RO water and half tap because their water has all the magical minerals needed and mixing it gives their total volume of water the right hardness and TDS. HOWEVER.....using a remineralizer eliminates the chances of the presence of other minerals not needed or even harmful to the shrimp and is considered the cleaner way to go.

Just because the guy you bought it from uses 1/2 tap 1/2 RO doesn't exactly mean you can because your water may vary from his. best bet would be to test out your water using a kit to determine gH and pH. There's other parameters to measure such as kH and tds, but you can start with gH and pH first.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 06:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananariot View Post
There's something called a remineralizer that adds shrimp specific ionic compounds back into your water for your shrimp to shed their shell properly. Usually you do a certain amount X to bring your hardness of your water (which is 0 because of R.O water) to a certain amount.

Some people simply do half RO water and half tap because their water has all the magical minerals needed and mixing it gives their total volume of water the right hardness and TDS. HOWEVER.....using a remineralizer eliminates the chances of the presence of other minerals not needed or even harmful to the shrimp and is considered the cleaner way to go.

Just because the guy you bought it from uses 1/2 tap 1/2 RO doesn't exactly mean you can because your water may vary from his. best bet would be to test out your water using a kit to determine gH and pH. There's other parameters to measure such as kH and tds, but you can start with gH and pH first.
well said! tap water really means nothing from person to person or even house to house.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode