Prime water conditioner - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Prime water conditioner

Hi, has anyone had any negative experiences with prime and shrimps? Any other water conditioners people recommend with shrimp?

Also, for people using pure RO water, is using a water conditioner such as prime necessary?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 12:10 AM
Obsessed? Maybe
Prime is my preferred product for shrimp. If you overdose, it can bind up a lot of oxygen really quickly. I tend to use an airstone or increased surface agitation if I ever have to use it in a tank where I've got shrimp.

No real negative experiences, though others have had some. (Or maybe it's with other products - because I can't recall specific incidents with Prime)

If your RO/DI filter is working properly, there's no reason to use a dechlorinator. For peace of mind, though? Doesn't hurt anything to add a dose of Prime or Safe to your RO/DI reservoir.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 12:13 AM
Algae Grower
I use tap water with prime in my shrimp tanks. I keep cherry shrimp and tiger shrimp in two separate tanks. Never had any problems at all with prime.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 01:31 AM
Wannabe Guru
I'm using it all the time. Even in RO water. Dosage for me is: .5ml per 5gal water. Reason: my tap water has 3.5-4 PPM chlorine in it. I have 3 inline carbon filters before RO/DI unit in order to keep reasonable clean water for 6 months. No ill effects with PRIME. Never dose it directly in the tank, thought.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Ok, thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode