Pregnant RCS

Pregnant Ghosts

Front View

Left Side

Right Side

Hangin’ out

See less See more
#31 ·
Er... if your main goal is to raise Aura Blue shrimp I definitely would not use the CO2. Nikki showed CO2 will definitely affect shrimp, whether it be breeding or otherwise.

#32 ·
Yeah I have heard that before but I have had no problem with my RCS, even though they are indestructible. The reason I have it set up like that is to lower my ph. Didnt really want to spend for new substrate. I have peat moss but when I do my test it doesnt seem to affect it. The co2 isnt running real fast. Nikki is where I am getting the shrimp from btw.

#35 ·
If you don't shut it off, even if you slowly acclimate the shrimp they will slowly die off. So you need to shut it off, let the CO2 gas out, then introduce the shrimp. Afterwards you'll have to slowly ramp the CO2 back up.

#38 ·
Yea, after you introduce them with the CO2 off, you can slowly increase the CO2 back up to any level you feel appropriate. However, if you were to reintroduce more shrimp down the line, now you have to ramp it back down. If you just suddenly stop that stress might also kill them.

#41 ·
I can't keep anything picky LOL. Still attending grad school and I live in an apartment so I don't really wanna invest in an RO unit... yet. My tap is quite soft though, ~150TDS which I hear is pretty darn good. My tap has quite high kh and gh as well. But I don't use buffering substrate either. So it's safest to just go with neocaridina or other non-picky shrimp like regular tigers.

Wish you best of luck with Aura Blues. Have you kept any other pickier shrimp before?

#42 ·
Wish I had tap water like that! Yeah Im gettin my RO water from the lfs for the meantime. Not so bad since its only a 10g.

This is my first time with picky shrimp. I only bought 2 just in case. I almost bought a whole dozen on a impulse buy but luckily came to my senses in time. So Im gettin some super tigers, pumpkins, and yellow shrimp as well. Which I already have yellows, just wanted to thicken the gene pool.

#46 ·
This is my first time with picky shrimp. I only bought 2 just in case. I almost bought a whole dozen on a impulse buy but luckily came to my senses in time. So Im gettin some super tigers, pumpkins, and yellow shrimp as well. Which I already have yellows, just wanted to thicken the gene pool.
Hope you don't end up with all females o_O Or your tigers might end up breeding with the aura blues, might be interesting to see what comes out of it. Where are you going to house the pumpkins? Or are you going to let them mix with the yellows?

My tap water is ~20 tds, 6 pH and 0 gh 0 kh. Nothing like having RO from the tap :p
Wow... I thought mine was good. Your tap is like perfect. Do you still use an RO unit Liam?

Not to derail this thread, but thank you Diwu13.
Makes me wonder how high or low their co2 injections were now as I haven't seen any adverse effects on my end. But again, my injections are incredibly low as I run low light set-ups for em.

Definitely something to ponder about now with future set-ups. I may test this theory :-D

Thanks!
No problem! I'm sure your shrimp are breeding fine. But in this case Knuggs has really really expensive and picky shrimp so I think breeding would be a top priority.

If the Tom is Tom Barr I would believe it, plus Im sure Nikki would would know as well. But always fun to experiment yourself. You never know. Definitely some useful information.
Yea, I did quote that from Tom Barr :p. And then Liam and Nikki the shrimp experts too :D!

#45 ·
Nice, Im a lil envious ;)

Makes me wonder how high or low their co2 injections were now as I haven't seen any adverse effects on my end. But again, my injections are incredibly low as I run low light set-ups for em.

Definitely something to ponder about now with future set-ups. I may test this theory :-D

Thanks!
If the Tom is Tom Barr I would believe it, plus Im sure Nikki would would know as well. But always fun to experiment yourself. You never know. Definitely some useful information.

I wouldnt mind hearing from anyone who has kept Aura Blues or tried and what their experience was like?

#44 ·

Thanks!

#47 ·
Heres some new pics of the tank, def not a show tank. I hope its ready for the Auras. I managed to get the ph below 6.2 my test doesnt go any lower than that, so not really sure of the actual ph. I used some superpeat, its suppose to be for the filter but I said f it and threw it in the tank.

#48 ·
What's all that brown crap on the top of the tank? And the writing on the glass o_O

And I'd definitely get a more accurate pH kit. You don't want the pH in there to be like 5 and have the shrimps die in an acid bath

#49 ·
The brown stuff is Sera Super Peat I used probably 300g of it. It will eventually sink to the bottom. The writing is me keeping track of the ph in different scenarios. I dont think it would be that acidic. Would definitely be nice to see how low it was though. Gotta get some food tomorrow, I see what the lfs has. Not sure how many test will go under 6.2. Maybe I could try a airstone to bump it up a lil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.