Pure red lines - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Question Pure red lines

I recently purchased a couple of APB Pure Red Lines from Alpha pro breeders.... Here's a couple of photos of these PRLs.. Can anyone provide a bit of insight into the coloration of these PRLs?

Edit - Should've waited at least a couple weeks to post this. Apologies to Ron/APB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fb185143fbf2b211f0aca486cb8065380dd78e1c.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	205001  

Name:	c6d5e2fe9925bc31c51c20505fdf8db1ca137051.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	205009  

Name:	d1092ff5e0fe9925244d489835a85edf8cb17151.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	205017  

Last edited by 20241hqw; 09-11-2013 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Updating
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 06:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

And how are you expecting them to look different from regular CRS? Do you know exactly what the term PRL means? It just means that they have not been crossed with goldens and don't throw any golden babies. Sometimes the quality will vary, some PRLs will have better, more solid whites but not always. What were you expecting them to look like?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

most of the time, their colors will turn out better like raven said. However, u gotta give them time to mature/calm down from shipping stress.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
And how are you expecting them to look different from regular CRS? Do you know exactly what the term PRL means? It just means that they have not been crossed with goldens and don't throw any golden babies. Sometimes the quality will vary, some PRLs will have better, more solid whites but not always. What were you expecting them to look like?
Well my understanding is they should have better color than regular ones, and they should be a bit more stable than regular ones
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananariot View Post
most of the time, their colors will turn out better like raven said. However, u gotta give them time to mature/calm down from shipping stress.
I guess I'm being somewhat paranoid about them
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 07:04 PM
I v(^o^)v shrimp

From your picture , I can see that it is young shrimp , not adult .
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytruong87 View Post
From your picture , I can see that it is young shrimp , not adult .
You are correct, but how did you see it?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Pure Red Line means they haven't been mixed with Goldens and others for an extended period. Pure doesn't mean they're going to look better than regular Crystals. Not without generations and generations of culling and selective breeding.

If you're expecting something like you see in Benibachi photos, you're going to have to shell out hundreds of dollars.

Sounds like you didn't understand what you were buying and got a bit upset because of that. As others have suggested, give them a week or two in order to adjust and they'll color up.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 07:10 PM
I v(^o^)v shrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20241hqw View Post
You are correct, but how did you see it?
Because I know young shrimp is easy to adapt new water.

You can check this link. His shrimp is really nice
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=429377
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Pure Red Line means they haven't been mixed with Goldens and others for an extended period. Pure doesn't mean they're going to look better than regular Crystals. Not without generations and generations of culling and selective breeding.

If you're expecting something like you see in Benibachi photos, you're going to have to shell out hundreds of dollars.

Sounds like you didn't understand what you were buying and got a bit upset because of that. As others have suggested, give them a week or two in order to adjust and they'll color up.
I understand PRLs, I didn't include culling as a factor though.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 07:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I understand PRLs, I didn't include culling as a factor though.

Culling is a factor with any shrimp. As already stated, sometimes their color can be better. But better color does not make a shrimp PRL and not all PRL have better color. PRL is merely a breeding term that has to do with if the shrimp have been crossed with goldens or throw goldens. Seeing as how almost ALL CRS have been crossed with goldens (because it can make their whites better according to some breeders), as Jake said, it's basically that they haven't been crossed for many generations, therefore resulting in no goldens being thrown. I can go devote a tank right now to CRS and after a few years could have my own PRL line. It's all about culling. If I have a bunch of CRS that don't necessarily have solid white but they haven't been bred with goldens, aren't throwing goldens and I keep breeding those together for generation after generation I would have PRL with standard white more than likely. Not the super duper bright thick whites you see on some. Again, it has to do with culling and what one breeder culls for doesn't have the be the same as what another culls for.

You say you understand PRLs but if you don't understand about culling and are expecting them to look like Benibachi PRLs or something similar as Jake brought up, then perhaps you haven't researched enough. I'm not saying that as an attack, it just seems like you are getting upset because of a lack of understanding of what PRL means.

And juvenile shrimp are easy for a lot of folks to spot as their bodies simply aren't fully developed, nor is their color. Yep, even from a photo it can be somewhat easy to tell.

Last edited by ravensgate; 09-10-2013 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Huge goof!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
Culling is a factor with any shrimp. As already stated, sometimes their color can be better. But better color does not make a shrimp PRL and not all PRL have better color. PRL is merely a breeding term that has to do with if the shrimp have been crossed with goldens or throw goldens. Seeing as how almost ALL CRS have been crossed with goldens (because it can make their whites better according to some breeders), as Jake said, it's basically that they haven't been crossed for many generations, therefore resulting in no goldens being thrown. I can go devote a tank right now to CRS and after a few years could have my own PRL line. It's all about culling. If I have a bunch of CRS that don't necessarily have solid white but they haven't been bred with goldens, aren't throwing goldens and I keep breeding those together for generation after generation I would have PRL with standard white more than likely. Not the super duper bright thick whites you see on some. Again, it has to do with culling and what one breeder culls for doesn't have the be the same as what another culls for.

You say you understand PRLs but if you don't understand about culling and are expecting them to look like Benibachi PRLs or something similar as Jake brought up, then perhaps you haven't researched enough. I'm saying that as an attack, it just seems like you are getting upset because of a lack of understanding of what PRL means.

And juvenile shrimp are easy for a lot of folks to spot as their bodies simply aren't fully developed, nor is their color. Yep, even from a photo it can be somewhat easy to tell.
Yes, I said I know what PRL means, and I said I did not include culling as a factor, I'm not saying I do not know what culling is. I did not mention Benibachi anywhere in my post. At least I cannot see it.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

I mentioned Benibachi as a reference point, so there's no need to be defensive.

Understanding pure lines means you should be satisfied with the critters you got - not questioning the authenticity of the shrimp and thereby implying that a vendor sent you something different than what you bought. And you also know that they'll color up once they've adjusted and will look better with age.

Being a pure line doesn't mean their coloration will be any better than any other Crystal.

All that said, I often have my own pure line shrimp that look ten times worse than the ones in your photos turn out to be gems upon reaching adulthood.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

+1 (x a million) to somewhatshocked

Quote:
and they should be a bit more stable than regular ones

OP, what do you mean by this statement?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 10:28 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

My money is on those shrimp looking better than any Pure Line I have.

References:

Because most of mine look waaaay worse than the photos you shared when they're young and/or fresh out of a shipping container.

Tags
line, prl, pure, red, shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode