The Planted Tank Forum banner

Toni's Shrimp Adventures

11K views 99 replies 16 participants last post by  mosspearl 
#1 · (Edited)
So there are shrimp winging their way to me in the mail from Soothing Shrimp... I've been making the final preparations to their new homes. Can't wait until they get here! Thought I'd get a head start on their introduction by posting pics of their tanks, then when they get here on Tuesday (according to the USPS), I'll take pics of them and post them here.

They'll be moving into two 2.5 gallon tanks. So far the only fauna in them are snails. Here's the one for the five Blue Velvets:

And here's the one for the five Yellows:

I apologize for the photos... I'm just learning how to use the camera on our phone. Already, even though sometimes they're a bit blurry, they're better than our regular camera, which is kind of sad.

Anyway, I'm very grateful to Soothing Shrimp for starting me on shrimping. I'm looking forward to a long, enjoyable hobby with the little critters.

See less See more
#5 ·
The mountain rock is all one piece, Tabberwok... found it in the garden. Did all the appropriate cleaning, boiling, etc. It was a lucky find. :) Makes the layout in the yellow tank a bit pathetic. LOL

The smaller rocks are those decorative stones from Walmart. They do kind of look like mushrooms. I tried to make little caves, Soothing Shrimp.

Chey... yes, I need more moss. I have some subwassertang (a big clump in the yellow tank on top of the rock), a small clump of flame moss in front of the rock in the yellow tank, and a small clump of java in front of the mountain in the BV tank. The moss arrived from a trade I did a few weeks ago, so it hasn't had much time to spread yet. I've also started some subwassertang on the two red lava rocks in the back of the BV tank. In a month or so it should start to fluff out. I'm hoping the shrimp will be happy with the hornwort and the rest of the green stuff in there. :)

#78 ·
So cool! My 7-year-old daughter and I are are huge Dr. fans and her jaw dropped at that pic.

I hereby dub this body of water: "Emily Pond".

#15 ·
I am so jealous of that Tardis, currently I have nothing but driftwood, plants and rocks in my tanks but I would completely evict something to put a Tardis in one of my 10 gallons!

The tanks are looking great, good luck with your adventure into shrimp. :)

#18 ·
The shrimpies are here!

Soothing Shrimp packs them very well! That cottony gray stuff completely surrounded the bags of shrimp (wrapped in newspaper in the photo).

Finally I unwrapped the bags.

The little guys were zipping all over the place. Wow, they're fast!

I took pictures of them while they were drip acclimating, but the cell phone didn't do a great job considering the containers were pretty much in the dark on the floor. It only took me a few minutes to figure out how to make the airflow control valves work at the proper speed.

Soothing... what kind of moss did you include? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

Most of the shrimp pics I took were blurry messes, but here are a couple:

I'm sure they'll color up a bit once they settle in. Shipping couldn't have been very fun.

I know the two youngest kids and myself are having a great time with them so far. The rest of the family probably think we're insane. LOL

Thanks again, Soothing Shrimp! You've helped create another happy shrimper!

#22 ·
@Duck5003... Thanks! I had planned on getting stock from Soothing for a long time. :)

@jkan... I was nervous, since I've never had shrimp before. I'm so glad it all went so smoothly!

@Soothing Shrimp... Yeah, surprisingly, they went right to grazing in the tanks. I think they were just happy they weren't being tossed about in a box anymore. :) What kind of moss was in the bags, do you know?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.