Shrimp Supplies - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Shrimp Nut

Shrimp Supplies

Alright, I just came into a little money. I Have just purchased/In amazon shopping cart for sure buying:

• TDS Meter
    • Filter Brush
  • GH/KH API test
  • Flourite Sand

Question: I want to order everything I can for shrimp in one shot to save on the shipping if I can. I am unsure about TDS, GH/Kh and how to raise it. I can lower it using RO water into tap, I live in Florida and I know I have hard water. (When my fish get tired of swimming they go for a walk!) So, What should I need? My Ph is 7.4. So, I know I won't need to raise it.
I want to keep some kind of tigers. Tigers, TT, or Something in the Caridina family with my Neos. I know the parameters are stable, They are breeding and molting normally.

So I guess I need to know Which product to use for

How to raise TDS?

How to raise Gh/Kh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Don't worry about pH - just focus on hardness. Once you have a GH/KH test kit, then you'll have a feel for where you are.

If you want to keep something other than Neos, you'll definitely need to know more about your hardness.

TDS will likely be where you need it to be based on the products you use if you're remineralizing RO/DI water. If you use RO water for Neos, you'll want to use something like Kent R/O Right, Seachem Equilibrium or Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+.

If you have a Tractor Supply nearby, you could use Black Diamond blasting grit ($8 for 50lbs) instead of Flourite Sand - that could save you some $.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Shrimp Nut

Sorry, I guess I didn't put that I am currently using tap with Prime. I can Get Cheap RO water near my house if need be. I really only listed Flourite sand because I am putting it in another tank and 1 bag will do me with a cap.
I was just wondering if there was something like an all in one, or something I could put on the list I know I'll use.

I really was just trying to order anything you think I could use for the raising of the TDs and the Gh/kh.

I was thinking of blasting grit, But I have sweet little cories!! And I would be afraid for their barbels and tummies!!

Last edited by Oceangirl; 07-02-2013 at 06:34 PM. Reason: add
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 06:45 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Nah, it won't harm your Cories. Tons of us keep them with Black Diamond. I even have Corydoras habrosus breeding on it (and with pool filter sand).

If you need to raise hardness for Neos for some reason, you could try Kent R/O Right or Seachem Equilibrium. They're both cheap and would suffice. They're a bit dirty but you can't beat the price. If you want something specialized for shrimp, Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+ from Salty Shrimp is my favorite.

Should you have money left over, consider getting other things like a Fluval telescoping shrimp net. They're my favorite cheapies and are great for the average hobbyist. Battery-powered air pumps (the cheap ones) are great to have in the event of a power failure. They can even be connected to small sponge filters. Cooling fans are always great to have. Pre-filter sponges, depending upon your setup. A spare HOB.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Shrimp Nut

What does dirty mean? How do you raise TDS? What is TDS? I know it means Total dissolved solids. But that is about it. GH/KH is really important. Which one controls Molts and shell development?

I have been keeping my eye out for shrimp stuff in the for sale section for stuff people are getting rid of. I have a brine shrimp net for now. But I am sure others might be getting rid of stuff all the time. It just a matter of waiting

My thought about ordering something along with the Gh/Kh test, is What if I do the test once I get it in the mail. Then realize I need a Gh/Kh raiser or Lower, then have to wait for it to come. Feeling like a bad shrimp mom the whole time.

Last edited by Oceangirl; 07-02-2013 at 06:54 PM. Reason: add
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 07:00 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

First thing: Go read the shrimp sticky. Then read it again.

TDS is a combination of everything dissolved in your water. GH, KH, et al.

You should not try raising GH/KH or TDS until you know what your tap water currently sits at and what your tank currently sits at. If your Neos are doing well, you likely don't need to bother with anything.

As long as you have a GH of 5-6 at a minimum, your shrimp will be fine.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Shrimp Nut

Do you have any preference on Tigers? Or any of the Caridina Shrimp? I would like to add another kind of shrimp. My Neos, I know are doing Ok. I just have heard Tigers can be more sensitive and wanted to be prepared. Thats the main reason why I wanted to get all this stuff.

Last edited by Oceangirl; 07-02-2013 at 07:18 PM. Reason: add
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 07:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

http://shrimpkeeping.com/water-params/

Find out what your parameters are using the API gH and kH Test Kit you are ordering.

Then find a shrimp that can work within the range of your Neos using the link above. Neos have a larger parameter range than other species of shrimp, so if you really want another shrimp species like Caridina then meet the parameters for both shrimp halfway.

But, it would make your life easier if you don't tweek your parameters and just off the bat get a shrimp that works with Neo parameters directly.

And if you want to be prepared read the sticky XD
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Shrimp Nut

That link was really helpful!! I am ordering tonight and will post once I get the test kit and do a test. Here is what I am thinking:
Test shrimp tank 1
Test Shrimp tank 2
Test Straight out of the tap
Test gassed off for 24 hours.

Sound like a good plan?
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 08:08 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

No need to worry about allowing water to gas off. You're just testing for hardness.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Shrimp Nut

Thanks! I have ordered supplies and they will be here Mon or Friday. (just ordered an hour ago) Then I will see about testing and all the fun stuff you guys do! Wish me LUCK! I will post once the results are in.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Shrimp Nut

I just tested the TDS, it was at 450! Wow, I had no idea. I tested my tap, it was 250-287 I think. I pretty much ran around the house and tested every source of water I had! LOL! My husband thinks I am nuts!!
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 12:11 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

Ha! Welcome to the world of having a TDS meter.

Really opens one's eyes to the complexity of water quality.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 12:14 AM
The Security Dude

Yes it really opens eyes to what solids are in your water...... I did the same thing when I got mine tested all mine took it to all my friends and parents

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD

55 Planted Rummys,2 GBR,8 Corys,4 Discus PFR Culls
Many shrimp tanks
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...half-done.html
Finnex Pimp #8
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Shrimp Nut

I just started vacuuming, a lot of poop has settled to the bottom of the tank.The poop blended so well into the sand, I didn't see it. I am going to do gradual vacuuming of the Sand (over a week), to try to lower it. I didn't realize the little guys pooped so much!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode