The Planted Tank Forum banner

my rabbit snail

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  somewhatshocked 
#1 ·
so i was filling the tank the other day and my yellow rabbit snail was out in front and so i thought i would share a couple pics.
parameters are: ph 8, gh7, kh2, temp 68, tds about 300

See less See more
#5 ·
so i was filling the tank the other day and my yellow rabbit snail was out in front and so i thought i would share a couple pics.
parameters are: ph 8, gh7, kh2, temp 68, tds about 300

That's an Orange Poso rabbit snail, Wicca. It's from the same lake (Poso) as the Yellows, but that is definitely an orange. Both are undescribed species.

I doubt it is very happy at 68F. They are found at 84F in the wild.

#6 ·
it has been in that temp well temp ranges from 68-72 since i got it and its very active, and is a good size shell is just guessing cause i have not been in there in a week about inch or so long and doubled in size since i got it over a year ago. and it was in a tank for a good 8 month with a ph of 6 i moved it when i moved the crs out to start breaking down tanks for the move. by all accounts the crs should not be in those parameters but they are doing quite well to.

#9 ·
Honestly, it looks like you're beginning to see some shell pitting or poor shell development because you're keeping them in less than ideal parameters.

While it can take a couple years for them to reach full adult size, you're likely inhibiting proper growth because you aren't providing proper parameters and are keeping the temperature way too low.

Just because you can keep something alive in a particular set of parameters doesn't mean you should. Especially when it comes to critters that aren't exactly common in the hobby. And when you could very easily bump your KH up and keep them in a tank with a heater with relative ease and little cost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.