Rescape, any ideas? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Rescape, any ideas?

I just rescaped my tank yesterday, took me an hour in a half to tear down and re plant everything. I know my moss looks a little dead, but that's how it was shipped to me, and never again will I get my stuff from aquatic magic. It was cheap, but as you can see, not worth the two week wait.

Anyways this is my rcs,sakura,pfr tank, wich I may end up putting some other type of shrimp in there, not sure yet. This is the before picture.

And this is the after picture, after I was done yesterday.

What d you guys think I should add to my new re scape, I have been wanting to do some manzanita but can't really find any nano pieces cheap, for a 5.5 gallon. I would like to do a tree.

Anyways what are your guys thoughts?

must....have.....more....moss n shrimp!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 07:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

First I would paint or use sticky vinyl for the back to hide all those equipment.
Also your plants doesn't seem to be healthy. What's soil you're using?
Anubis grows better with leaf above surface.

I re-scaped my tank today.

From this:

To this:

I know I regret turning the driftwood other way around >.< but I don't want to mess up with the soil anymore it will cause a big dust storm =)
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'm using flora max, no one sells the more expensive soils around here, and I'm on a bit of a budget.

Most of the plants in here, minus the fissidens, and tiger lily are new additions I received from members on here and are still adjusting to the tank. The fissidens are just now finally starting to grow out, I don't use co2 in this tank because it is a shrimp tank, and last time I gassed them to death.

But I do dose leaf zone once a week at a quarter dose.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I literally just spent all my money on Father's Day gifts, so I won't be able to re scape or add dirt for a while, so how can I beef up my plants using what I have as well, without killing ANY of my shrimp.

I'm also a bit new to planted tanks, I started last October, my 55 looks way better than my shrimp tank, and plants are much happier, minus my freaking balloon Molly plant eater f*cker.

Last edited by Subtletanks91; 06-15-2013 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Added text
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 07:26 AM
Planted Member

looks ok just need a few more plants or some more growth. id move the heater to the back wall where it can be hidden by plants better. but also try to keep it by the filter flow to help spread heat.

your light doesn't cover your tank very well. the plants on the sides really dont seem to be receiving enough light. this will usually cause them to lean towards the light making scaping hard.

if you would like a piece of small wood i have some to sell. its very branchy and pre-soaked in my 125g. here is the link to where my sale page is that has mostly plants but also the wood listed. i know i have one picture of the wood up. hope this isnt out of place
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...425&highlight=

edit.. might want to dose more then just leaf zone as its only potassium and iron.

8g Fluval 1M CT Betta
125g 5 Blood parrots, 1 Green Severum, 8 Dension Barbs, 10 Yoyo Loaches, 1 RTS
75g Angelfish, 3 EBGR, 4 Siames Alage Eaters, 12 Harlequin Rasboars, 1 BN Pleco, 1 Swordtail
33g long cherry shrimp, 8 pygmy corys, 5 ottos
15g 2 GBR
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

HHS that's funny because I have seen your sale add before.

Yeah my light is one of those standard hood/ light fixtures, it does have a 12watt build though daylight, so it's easily like 2.1 watts per gallon on a five point five gallon tank. I wish I could have an open top with a finned or led on the top, but this tank sits on the DVD tub in my room and my daughter likes to play with it as it is( I have a stand but my carpet makes it i sturdy and I don't know how to fix that or I could have an open top)

All the pieces at the bottom of your page seem very large for my tank I'm looking for something like this, but not so many little branches on the top

Or this manzanita nano

post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 07:44 AM
Planted Member

you can get a glass top and there are other fixtures that will work or... idk how DIY you are but you can cut the inside on the finnex legs and that should work with a glass top. if you feel it necessary you can then glue the legs to the actual fixture to make sure they dont move but i dont think you would need to.

the wood is very big but i can cut up into some smaller stems and you then tie them together to get a branchy effect. ill pm you a link to my 8g tomorrow to show you a example i did.

8g Fluval 1M CT Betta
75g Angelfish, 3 EBGR, 4 Siames Alage Eaters, 12 Harlequin Rasboars, 1 BN Pleco, 1 Swordtail
15g 2 GBR
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 07:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I went to Orchard Supply and got 2 pieces of glass cut to fit two 10g as glass top for only $7. Then you can put the light dome on top of it. Easy and cheap.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

This is the stand I have, but instead of a flat bottom it has a 1x4 in the center of the bottom. And I would like to use this but kinda hard to on soft carpet. Ay idea how to fix it so I could use an open top?

I'll take a look when you send me the link, I would really love to have one piece of wood though, it makes things so much easier.
The hood I have doesn't have a reflector on it either, another downfall of cheap light hoods, my fiancÚ made me buy. She doesn't understand my obsession with the hobby.

post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I could always use the old t8 from my 55 gallon, I upgraded that to a t5. It's just going to be a hell of alot longer than the tank.

post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 08:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtletanks91 View Post
This is the stand I have, but instead of a flat bottom it has a 1x4 in the center of the bottom. And I would like to use this but kinda hard to on soft carpet. Ay idea how to fix it so I could use an open top?

I'll take a look when you send me the link, I would really love to have one piece of wood though, it makes things so much easier.
The hood I have doesn't have a reflector on it either, another downfall of cheap light hoods, my fiancÚ made me buy. She doesn't understand my obsession with the hobby.
I think it's time to be a man . Only fiance and she already being the boss.
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

FiancÚ and mother of my child, shes right in one aspect though, I spend faster than I make lol

post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 09:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

well darn, i'm waiting on a package from aquatic magic right now. hopefully it doesnt look like poop when i get it =\ anyways about your scape, most of your plants are foreground plants. but buy the wood because the wood is basically the focal point of your scape and you work around that.
If i could draw something i totally would. but your stem plants, but them together in that far left corner. so keep each in a bunch to make two different bunches and do kind of what cookiem did with the fern. also the anubius was really nice. and maybe put those broad leafed plants near and around the base of that wood piece you have. then you can arrange those other small plants around the base of that plant with the long leaves that looks like a sword or something in the right hand corner. then put the moss as the carpet
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I just got mind f*ckd lol. I kinda understand what your saying, part of the problem is I'm having trouble getting the plants to stay in one spot, I need more substrate. So your saying out all my stem plants in the left corner behind my ill piece of wood with anubias nana on it. Take my moss and put it towards the right corner for a carpet. And my crypt in the right corner? Where would the tiger lily go? I have some glosso, maybe when I get the fugeray I can take some substrate from my 55 and plant it in the front. I'm still at a loss, my 55 was easier for my to scape out, but also because my hard scape is to big to put in my five gallon it doesn't make it easy.

I'm also looking to buy a fugeray right now. 45$ isn't bad but my main problem is going to be the open top and my daughter unless I can fix my stand to the wall without my in laws getting pissed

post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 09:31 AM
Planted Member

i have two metal pipes that attach to my stand that come up and hold the light. so you dont have to mount it to the wall.

8g Fluval 1M CT Betta
15g 2 GBR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode