Deliberate theft? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
ShrimpRetirement

Deliberate theft?

If it's one thing I detest most, it's people who steal other peoples hard work to make their own for monetary gain . It's not so much stealing when you ask first, but to deliberately take someone else picture without permission and crop out the owner's watermark/copyright, and post it in their advertisement... is just plain thievery in my book. How is one suppose to feel?

As some of you may remember, this has happened to my shrimp pictures in the past and I just found out from a fellow follower of mine that it's happening again. This time across the pond from the UK . Take a look at the photos here and see if you guys recognize them:

Red Tiger Shrimp
http://www.shrimptoast.co.uk/index.p...er-shrimp.html

TT

OEBT
http://www.shrimptoast.co.uk/index.p...es-shrimp.html

Royal Blue Tiger

Extreme BKK
http://www.shrimptoast.co.uk/index.p...ee-shrimp.html

I feel at a loss when things like this happen. Not sure what I should do, or can do. I've tried the extra large watermarks that cover 1/3 of the whole image, and I didn't like it. I'll have to work harder to make one that I like and stick with it, even though it ruins the picture.

Thanks for listening guys.

Nick

Last edited by speedie408; 05-21-2013 at 04:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 04:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to assasin6547
Yep sure enough I've seen your amazing pictures everywhere! There's probably not much you can do - but I feel you. I've even seen them on other forums where people pretend they took the pics.

Maybe try putting your watermark in the very center?

How I feel about non-planted aquariums.
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 04:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Talk to a lawyer and have them type up a nice cease and desist order on an official letterhead, and snail mail it so that you have a post mark. Give them 30 days. If the pics don't come down you may have a suit against them, although being across the big pond makes it much more difficult to pursue. I have a good friend who is an automotive journalist and the cease and desist order works every time.

The Fraternity of Dirt
Check out my open-source Arduino-Powered Light Controller Guide for Current LED+ and other IR switchable lights.
post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Algae Grower

Maybe try putting a watermark over the entire picture so it doesn't happen again :/
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 04:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You can hire a lawyer, But is it worth the money?

As for watermark, You can just do a low opacity watermark over the center of the image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnRon
Well if you're going to be a noob I guess you should go all out........
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
ShrimpRetirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by assasin6547 View Post
Yep sure enough I've seen your amazing pictures everywhere! There's probably not much you can do - but I feel you. I've even seen them on other forums where people pretend they took the pics.

Maybe try putting your watermark in the very center?
I hardly go to any other forums except TPT and a couple local forums. I was unaware this was still going on. PM me some links if you happen to remember. Thank you for letting me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indychus View Post
Talk to a lawyer and have them type up a nice cease and desist order on an official letterhead, and snail mail it so that you have a post mark. Give them 30 days. If the pics don't come down you may have a suit against them, although being across the big pond makes it much more difficult to pursue. I have a good friend who is an automotive journalist and the cease and desist order works every time.
I'm aware of a cease and desist letter, but like you said, across the pond may be a different story. Do we have any lawyers on here with some insight?
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
ShrimpRetirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neevie View Post
Maybe try putting a watermark over the entire picture so it doesn't happen again :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulonocara_Freak View Post
You can hire a lawyer, But is it worth the money?

As for watermark, You can just do a low opacity watermark over the center of the image.
Tried it. I didn't like it. I guess I'll have to stick with it, but the way I see it, if they want it badly, they will do what it takes.

I don't think I can afford a lawyer, let alone my own rent sometimes.
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 04:48 PM
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would follow Indy's suggestion & talk to one of your lawyer buddies to compose a letter.

I've had some of my documents plagiarized before. Filing suit will work, but requires a bit of persistent and it's just too much of a hassle for most people to bother with.
  • Unfortunately the only thing you can do is to RUIN the picture by placing a watermark/copyright symbol directly on the photo subject. Otherwise there's NOTHING you can do.

I can crop a picture in less than 1-2 seconds.

If I were you, I would RECRUIT the help from a couple LAW students from England.
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
ShrimpRetirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post

If I were you, I would RECRUIT the help from a couple LAW students from England.
Any Law student's from England on here?

Time to spread the word on my end.
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 04:53 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

If you host the images on your own web server, there are a couple things you can do to prevent theft short of screengrabs. May not be handy for forum use, though you can use htaccess files in some instances.

While watermarks can be dreadful, it may be a last resort to stop this sort of thing. Sticking the watermark along side each shrimp in your pictures may end up being necessary. Seems like a good idea in light of these shady people constantly swiping what's not theirs.
post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 04:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You don't really need to hire a lawyer; a cease and desist would probably be done by a paralegal or secretary anyway... all you need is an official looking letterhead and a signature. I'm sure you can get in touch with someone who can hook you up if you ask around.

The Fraternity of Dirt
Check out my open-source Arduino-Powered Light Controller Guide for Current LED+ and other IR switchable lights.
post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 04:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Like already said, this is your only option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Example to show.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	516.4 KB
ID:	146010  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnRon
Well if you're going to be a noob I guess you should go all out........
post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
ShrimpRetirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
If you host the images on your own web server, there are a couple things you can do to prevent theft short of screengrabs. May not be handy for forum use, though you can use htaccess files in some instances.

While watermarks can be dreadful, it may be a last resort to stop this sort of thing. Sticking the watermark along side each shrimp in your pictures may end up being necessary. Seems like a good idea in light of these shady people constantly swiping what's not theirs.
I will have my web developer look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

I hate watermarks but yes, it's gonna have to stick and stay moving forward. The feeling of helplessness is not a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indychus View Post
You don't really need to hire a lawyer; a cease and desist would probably be done by a paralegal or secretary anyway... all you need is an official looking letterhead and a signature. I'm sure you can get in touch with someone who can hook you up if you ask around.
I'll see what I can do. Now to find an address to send to...
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
ShrimpRetirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulonocara_Freak View Post
Like already said, this is your only option.
I'm afraid it's going to have to be more intrusive than that.

I can get rid of that in about 5 seconds in photoshop.
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 05:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm not sure how UK addresses work, but this is on their contact page:

Shrimp Toast,
Berkshire,
Wokingham,
UK

No numbers or anything... not sure if that's typical for UK addresses or not. You may have to order something or request a mailing address.

The Fraternity of Dirt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode