Deliberate theft? - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
Altering the image with watermarks or copyright information is easily bypassed. Prevent them from getting the image to start with. Google "prevent images from being downloaded". There are many ways to do just that. I would also include a spyder or robot file in the root directory which tells things like google images not to index your images directory.
Include a crippling virus with your posted file
I post smaller files, things that I would not care to have swiped, never large ones.

Google can help some, but.......

Regards,
Tom Barr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 06:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
Anybody ever heard of a screen capture? All the 'disabling right click' functions in the world won't prevent someone from doing a screen capture and crop. Easy peasy.
Absolutely correct. Luckily the image resolution is too poor for print quality though. Many small ecommerce owners either don't realize it's illegal *insert laugh here* or doesn't think it impacts anyone directly. A simple well worded email usually does the trick. Also, allowing them to use your images with a watermark or link to your site is great advertisement.
post #33 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 06:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
Thanks for the reality check Jaime. You phrased it to the T.

This is not going to deter me from taking pictures though. I may just delete all my old picture files, or make them private for now. Not sure how this will effect the forums where my pictures are posted such as this one, but maybe it's time to start a new picture thread again and delete the old.
You are the goose that lays the golden egg, so..........
You can also make it harder for them(water marks etc) to steal AND OFFER DINKY sized pics.

Most of these folks are hobbyists, I do not treat them the same as business or someone making $ off the item (as the case here), so..........I've done a little bit of my own policing. Most were cool about it.

A few have plagiarize/stolen written works, that really pisses me off.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #34 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 06:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

It would be great if they included a note that said "pic by Nick Zyong" or something, did you contacted them to have the credit at least?

Sorry this happens man, I make music... Its a similar situation. Once I made a whole song and included a couple of sounds from a friend, he published the song on his name "featuring" me... Luckily we both had labels interested in the work so a single call fixed the "featuring" to "and or VS"...

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!
post #35 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 07:17 PM
Ram Breeder

I don't think you need to go to the trouble and expense of hiring an attorney. We had someone who actually bought fish from us, then a year later, used our photos from our ads in their ad on Aqua Bid. A quick e-mail to the moderator of the site and the ad was pulled. I'm sure that if you wrote an e-mail to the moderator of the site in the UK, they too would probably pull the ad. Most sites are very specific about not using other peoples photos in their own ads without permission.
post #36 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

personally with your photography skills on your shrimp, there is no way I would add your pictures to robots.txt - having them index could be your best potential advertising stream. You just need to make sure everyone knows who stunning shrimp those are in the picture.

I think you need to dump the copyright watermark and add a QR-code watermark in a position in the photo. Why would this work? well most thieves are incline to remove something so important as a "name" like "speedy inverts.com" or whatever. A QR-code still wont shaun away these people from taking your content but it also wouldn't make them go through the hassle of trying to remove it from the picture. Got to remember, thieves are usually lazy - they steal for a reason because they can't create it themselves. So now, They are hoping the traffic won't scan it, but you're hoping people will.

Anyways, if this is scanned it will redirect the person to your page, knowing exactly where that referral came from with analytics. You can then either contact the person with said photo and deem him/her to take it down or tell him to give you credits in his description.

Why not turn a negative into a positive I say. I know QR Scanning is becoming more mainstream and will only increase with how mobile devices and information is being delivered. Also another thing to get more viral is to content lock your pictures with a share/like button. You want to become a "wildfire" spreading across the web branding your name to those variations. Right now how people are replying to you, you are just going to be a little campfire, trying to put rocks around it to contain yourself.

Last edited by Vermino; 05-21-2013 at 07:40 PM. Reason: adding some more modivating dialog. TO ARMS! lol
post #37 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What about watermarks like these?

I do not find that they detract from the actual image, as I can see right through it and see the image as it would look without it ... and you can get them even less visible than that ... just then it sort of defeats the main purpose of it ... but I mean it's STILL a kick a$$ picture and it shows ...

ₒᴑᴼοₒᴑᴼοₒᴑᴼοₒᴑ
ٴٴٴ˚~Alyssa

SAPS | sfbaaps | SAS
My Tank(s) Blog
| TPT Clubs: RAOK Club #7 | Fraternity of Dirt #62 | ADA Club #2 |
post #38 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 07:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

It's definitely a nice picture, but it's just one of those things that doesn't fit in a picture. Regardless of if it takes away from the photo or not, it's just something that shouldn't/doesn't belong in it.

But yeah, that seems like one of the other options to prevent more photo stealing.
post #39 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 07:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah man it's sad that people can't take their own pics.....
I've even seen my crap iphone macro pics show up on ebay posts -.-"

Sad to say but maybe alyssa's design is the only solution. One right through the image
post #40 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Re: Deliberate theft?

I would ask for compensation based off sales... But definitely start with an email.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #41 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
ShrimpRetirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
You are the goose that lays the golden egg, so..........
You can also make it harder for them(water marks etc) to steal AND OFFER DINKY sized pics.

Most of these folks are hobbyists, I do not treat them the same as business or someone making $ off the item (as the case here), so..........I've done a little bit of my own policing. Most were cool about it.

A few have plagiarize/stolen written works, that really pisses me off.
lol I suppose. Only those eggs are only "golden" for them and not me because I'm not seeing anything from their end.

The thing with using dinky images is that it can't display my work to the viewers as well. You won't be able to see fine hairs off the antennae of the shrimp anymore if I start doing this.

That website looks like a business to me. I let them know to either take down my pictures or pay me for the rights to use them. Let's see what they have to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerrey View Post
It would be great if they included a note that said "pic by Nick Xyong" or something, did you contacted them to have the credit at least?
Having gone through the trouble of removing my watermarks, very unlikely they'll be referencing me anywhere on their commercial site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt13 View Post
I don't think you need to go to the trouble and expense of hiring an attorney. We had someone who actually bought fish from us, then a year later, used our photos from our ads in their ad on Aqua Bid. A quick e-mail to the moderator of the site and the ad was pulled. I'm sure that if you wrote an e-mail to the moderator of the site in the UK, they too would probably pull the ad. Most sites are very specific about not using other peoples photos in their own ads without permission.
Yes, I'll be contacting the site admin next if things don't progress with the owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermino View Post
personally with your photography skills on your shrimp, there is no way I would add your pictures to robots.txt - having them index could be your best potential advertising stream. You just need to make sure everyone knows who stunning shrimp those are in the picture.

I think you need to dump the copyright watermark and add a QR-code watermark in a position in the photo. Why would this work? well most thieves are incline to remove something so important as a "name" like "speedy inverts.com" or whatever. A QR-code still wont shaun away these people from taking your content but it also wouldn't make them go through the hassle of trying to remove it from the picture. Got to remember, thieves are usually lazy - they steal for a reason because they can't create it themselves. So now, They are hoping the traffic won't scan it, but you're hoping people will.

Anyways, if this is scanned it will redirect the person to your page, knowing exactly where that referral came from with analytics. You can then either contact the person with said photo and deem him/her to take it down or tell him to give you credits in his description.

Why not turn a negative into a positive I say. Very easy way and it still lets your pictures be public because I seriously LOVE looking at them.
Thank you for the QR-Code suggestion. Though I'm sure it's well beyond my scope, I'll have my web designer look into it. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
What about watermarks like these?

I do not find that they detract from the actual image, as I can see right through it and see the image as it would look without it ... and you can get them even less visible than that ... just then it sort of defeats the main purpose of it ... but I mean it's STILL a kick a$$ picture and it shows ...
That looks obnoxious! *kidding*

After the last incident, I developed a few large watermark samples, but never got down to commit to using them 100% of the time and later I just kinda forgot about them. I'll have to pull them out again and start slapping them on all my pictures moving forward, and keep them on.
post #42 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 07:55 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I will have my web developer look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

I hate watermarks but yes, it's gonna have to stick and stay moving forward. The feeling of helplessness is not a good one.

I'll see what I can do. Now to find an address to send to...
I'm sorry to hear that, look at this link below for help and steps that you can take.

H is for Help! My Work has been Stolen!: http://www.stahlelaw.com/h-help-work-stolen/

The DMCA Takedown Notice Demystified: http://www.sfwa.org/2013/03/the-dmca...e-demystified/

Stock DMCA and Cease and Desist letter: http://www.plagiarismtoday.com/stock-letters/

Another Cease and Desist Letter (Copyright Infringement):
http://www.utsystem.edu/ogc/intellec...ight_agmts.htm

Misc: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=867775

Good luck !!!

There is no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness.
post #43 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 08:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Thank you for the QR-Code suggestion. Though I'm sure it's well beyond my scope, I'll have my web designer look into it. Thank you!
http://codecanyon.net/item/qr-color-...or/1616490?sso

easy way to generate a QR-code (can even do your phone-number, throw in logo's in the middle of the code, etc etc)

http://codecanyon.net/item/social-lo...dpress/3667715

social locker to get people to share your content before they see it - or give them a sneak peek.

also very rough photoshop of what QR-code could look like on your pictures. It's scannable and goes directly to your black impact page
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	speedy-shrimp-QR-Code.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	146074  

post #44 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 08:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

Sorry, I didn't realize you had a web developer. Put him on it . Honestly, if I were buying shrimp the watermarks wouldn't deter me at all. In fact, I think it actually adds a professional flair.
post #45 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 08:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
Sorry, I didn't realize you had a web developer. Put him on it . Honestly, if I were buying shrimp the watermarks wouldn't deter me at all. In fact, I think it actually adds a professional flair.
Agreed.

10G - Low Tech Planted [ Chocolate Neos, MTS, Tracked Nerite / Anubias Nana, Windelov Java Fern, Water Wisteria, Dwarf Sag ]
29G - Non Planted Native Tank [ Creek Chub, Yellowfin Shiners, MTS / Water Wisteria ]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode