Deliberate theft? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 05:04 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

I sent you their contact information via PM, along with details for their hosting provider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
I'll see what I can do. Now to find an address to send to...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 05:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

Altering the image with watermarks or copyright information is easily bypassed. Prevent them from getting the image to start with. Google "prevent images from being downloaded". There are many ways to do just that. I would also include a spyder or robot file in the root directory which tells things like google images not to index your images directory.
post #18 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 05:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm afraid it's going to have to be more intrusive than that.

I can get rid of that in about 5 seconds in photoshop.
+1

the cease and desist makes sense

anyone proficient in photoshop can take out that water mark

its really sad but you should be flattered

It is better to travel well than to arrive.

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]
post #19 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
ShrimpRetirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
I sent you their contact information via PM, along with details for their hosting provider.
Thanks Jake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
Altering the image with watermarks or copyright information is easily bypassed. Prevent them from getting the image to start with. Google "prevent images from being downloaded". There are many ways to do just that. I would also include a spyder or robot file in the root directory which tells things like google images not to index your images directory.
Does this mean I won't be able to post on forums without risking the same thing happening? This stuff is not what I like to do. It's frustrating when this is what it has to boil down to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone870 View Post

its really sad but you should be flattered
Flattered that they stole my pictures to make their own? If they would have left my watermarks that would have probably been fine.
post #20 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 05:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Obviously your shrimp and photography are beautiful or they wouldn't be stolen so often.

But yea short of tagging the shrimp themselves with watermarks, theres not much you can do. Threatening legal action is your best bet at this point.

10G - Low Tech Planted [ Chocolate Neos, MTS, Tracked Nerite / Anubias Nana, Windelov Java Fern, Water Wisteria, Dwarf Sag ]
29G - Non Planted Native Tank [ Creek Chub, Yellowfin Shiners, MTS / Water Wisteria ]
post #21 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 05:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

Happening again?:/ You have reason to be upset, that's forsure, but that just goes to show the quality of your pictures, as well.

I'd agree that threatening legal action would be the best bet. Maybe work something out as you said if they left your watermark, you would've been okay with it?

If only my cousin who's a lawyer was in the Bay Area still, I'd ask him about it and what you could do. Unfortunately, I don't have any of his contact info besides that he's in Socal for awhile

Not sure what else to do besides that and trying to make your photos not downloadable.

Best of luck Nick!
post #22 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 05:39 PM
Algae Grower

What do you think would be a fair compensation for using your images to sell shrimp on their site for however long they've been doing it? Send them an invoice for that amount. This sometimes gets a fast reaction.
post #23 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 05:45 PM

Just send the webmaster of the offending sites where your photos are coming up an email explaining that you have pictures that are stolen. Stealing IP is getting pretty serious lately. If you email them and let them know those are your pictures and you're not getting credit for them, I'm sure they will be promptly removed or altered to give you your deserved credit. I've seen this happen before to photographer friends, and usually it is resolved with a terse email to the forum/website admin. I think only after you have notified the site with no response should you consider legal action.
post #24 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
ShrimpRetirement

^^ Thanks guys.

rah-bop - at this point I'd rather just draw up a cease and desist letter, but thanks for the suggestion. I figure if they wanted to buy the rights to use my pictures in the first place, they could have easily looked me up on google or via my website instead of deliberately cropping off my watermarks.
post #25 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
ShrimpRetirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelub View Post
Just send the webmaster of the offending sites where your photos are coming up an email explaining that you have pictures that are stolen. Stealing IP is getting pretty serious lately. If you email them and let them know those are your pictures and you're not getting credit for them, I'm sure they will be promptly removed or altered to give you your deserved credit. I've seen this happen before to photographer friends, and usually it is resolved with a terse email to the forum/website admin. I think only after you have notified the site with no response should you consider legal action.
I will def look into this as well. Thank you lub.
post #26 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 06:05 PM
Algae Grower

I've seen some site where you can't right click to copy and paste the picture, wondering if you can do that on your site? But then you post pics here as well so they probably steal them from here too
post #27 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 06:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Does this mean I won't be able to post on forums without risking the same thing happening? This stuff is not what I like to do. It's frustrating when this is what it has to boil down to.
Unfortunatley, yes. I don't see a way on this site to prevent it. I would guess the majority of your stolen images come from sites like google images. If your'e looking for an image of something where do you go? Most people use google images or similar sites. Protecting your images directory from sites that use robots like this would prevent a lot of this.

For example, To block google images from indexing your entire site add a file called robots.txt in the root directory and add this to it...

User-agent: Googlebot-Image
Disallow: /

or to remove specific images add this..

User-agent: Googlebot-Image
Disallow: /images/Shrimp.jpg

That alone would prevent a lot of theft.
post #28 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 06:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Anybody ever heard of a screen capture? All the 'disabling right click' functions in the world won't prevent someone from doing a screen capture and crop. Easy peasy.

As for the person who said Speedie should be flattered you obviously don't know anything about Copyright law. I quit doing professional photography years ago and one of those reasons was due to getting tired of theft. If you didn't push the dang shutter button on the camera it is NOT yours to do with what you please, I don't give a rip where you find the image. ESPECIALLY using a photo to generate money, that's where you get your butt sued.

Speedie, I've got no advice, just gotta say sorry to hear you're going through this yet again.
post #29 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
ShrimpRetirement

Thanks for the reality check Jaime. You phrased it to the T.

This is not going to deter me from taking pictures though. I may just delete all my old picture files, or make them private for now. Not sure how this will effect the forums where my pictures are posted such as this one, but maybe it's time to start a new picture thread again and delete the old.
post #30 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 06:26 PM
Planted Member

Really, if you want any sort of ownership over your photos, you have to watermark. Even major companies are having concerns over image theft. My DH is a photographer and works for a national photography company and they have constant debates over using the Internet for marketing while protecting their images from being stolen. One of DH's current projects is designing their watermark. Unfortunately, you kind of have to make them as obnoxious as possible, otherwise they aren't effective.

I'm sorry your images were stolen. It really just sucks to put your hard work out there and have someone claim it as their own.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode