Nitrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Nitrate

Sorry if u have had this post before im just wondering can anyone give me an insight to there thoughts on keeping nitrates low for shrimp? obviously the regular water changes and filter rinsing. Ive been told of Api Aqua Detox pillows used as filter media is extremely good at removing nitrate and it can be recharged? has anyone here tried these and are they a worthy solution?

on my api test kit the test result is slightly orange but i cant really tell between 5-20 and 5 is ok and 20 is too much, so its pretty hard to tell if its ok or not?

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 01:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Plants can help lower and keep it low. Also WC's as needed. Unless you have nitrates in your tap, you're overfeeding, or you have lots of shrimp in the tank, you really shouldn't be having much issue with nitrates that some plants and weekly WC's can't take care of.

EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 07:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Certain plants are more efficient than others at attacking Nitrate levels. Red Mangrove pods are apparently vacuums for it, as are any high demand plants such as duckweed (which is a love/hate relationship for many)

Also keep in mind that those cute little pillows you are referring to also remove as much Ammo and Nitrite as they can along with the Nitrate. I am not sure I would want to starve the BB to save 10 minutes of a water change, and spend more in the long run.
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 03:25 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via Skype™ to vamcbride
water change

nothing takes the place of routine water changing

Veronique
150 gallon angels and clown loaches
30 g Neons, planted tank - 1st attempt with C02
46 g platies, mollies, guppies Raphael, angels
65 g platies, mollies, angels, shrimp
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 04:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
best thing to use is live plants. filter media only last so long and you will have to replace it. once it stops absorbing the nitrates it will dump them back in the tank and kill stuff if you know test all the time.

good plants are floaters, hornwort is my fave, duck weed is good but a pain in the but to get rid of. frog bit is another one i use cause its easy to get rid of. my shrimp seem to like horn wort the best cause of all the tiney leaves.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 01:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

Size tank, what type of filter(s), how much water change per week/month?

I'm not into the image, but into the hobby...
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 12:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
....filter media only last so long and you will have to replace it. once it stops absorbing the nitrates it will dump them back in the tank and kill stuff if you know test all the time.
False. The only reason that any sort of nitrate absorbing media would release anything back into the water is if the material itself starting breaking down (which if thats happening you have other issues besides nitrates) or if another compound that has a higher affinity for the media comes along and bumps the nitrate molecules off. Which once again means you have other water quality issues that need attending to.

10G - Low Tech Planted [ Chocolate Neos, MTS, Tracked Nerite / Anubias Nana, Windelov Java Fern, Water Wisteria, Dwarf Sag ]
29G - Non Planted Native Tank [ Creek Chub, Yellowfin Shiners, MTS / Water Wisteria ]
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 01:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nitrate

^^^^ 100% correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 05:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

my cabomba furcata is a nitrate sponge, too - I struggle to get any nitrate reading at all, despite fertz dosing. if my ammonia & nitrite were't firmly pegged on 0, i'd worry for my lack of nitrate readings.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 05:27 PM
Planted Member

Anyone know THE best nitrate sucking plants? I have anacharis in my tank but it's not doing too good of a job.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 05:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Anything that floats will demolish nitrate. Water sprite, duckweek, Salvinia, red root floaters, frogbit, etc.

The faster the plant grows the better.

10G - Low Tech Planted [ Chocolate Neos, MTS, Tracked Nerite / Anubias Nana, Windelov Java Fern, Water Wisteria, Dwarf Sag ]
29G - Non Planted Native Tank [ Creek Chub, Yellowfin Shiners, MTS / Water Wisteria ]
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
carbon will only work so long that is why they make the toss out pads, once they stop working they leach it back in the tank. i use sponge filters in all my tanks. even my hot magnum only has the blue sponge in it. and no i dont get nitrate probs. but all my tanks are planted and some have floaters.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 08:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

Nitrate

Hello,

Imma quote myself here, this is a topic that is been brought up so so so much:

"Shrimp and no3"

Sorry to disagree with the nitrate thing.

No3 is not really harmful to them, is the nh4 and no2 that came before no3 what is poisonous. So test for nh4(ammonia) and no2(nitrite), because if there is no readings for no3 yet but there is ammonia and nitrite then the water is no good.

No3 is at the end of the cycle. We really need to be careful with the previous nitrogen compounds.

This is why people can keep shrimp with more than 150ppm of no3 from ferts. If that was coming from ammonia and nitrate then it would be toxic, not the no3 but the previous nitro compounds.

Anyhow, my point is: testing for no3 in a non cycled mass of water is not enough as a preventive measure.

Based on:

Shrimp and no3
Shrimp and kno3

Nitrates, how high is too high?
Nitrates, how high is too high???

What is a safe range of nitrates for CRS/CBS: (this thread has more conclusive info)
what is the safe ppm range of nitrates for crs/cbs?

Similar to the posts above:
How much Nitrate is too much for shrimp?

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 08:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
carbon will only work so long that is why they make the toss out pads, once they stop working they leach it back in the tank. i use sponge filters in all my tanks. even my hot magnum only has the blue sponge in it. and no i dont get nitrate probs. but all my tanks are planted and some have floaters.
You're correct that carbon will only absorb so much. They make toss out pads and tell you to change them so frequently to make more money mostly But nothing leeches out of the carbon when it is exhausted, that is a myth. All activated carbon does is bind on the atomic level to certain compounds that have an opposite charge and high affinity for the carbon surface. These bonds don't just spontanously break because all of the free area on the carbon is saturated with molecules.

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 12:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nitrate

Correct, once carbon in no longer active it becomes a biological filter, but it will never leech back into the water column. it's a great myth that I am sure was created by the Carbon filter manufacturers to scare you into changing your carbon filter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode