post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Can I keep cardinal shrimp in my water?

Straight from the tap -

TDS - 126
Ph - 7.8-8.0
Kh - 1-2
GH - My new kit is defective :/

Living in Florida, the well water has always been hard. I've tried cardinia with a low amount of success. Neos as always, have been easy, but lately they've been incredibly boring. The original copper pipes in my house were replaced with pvc and I no longer have a problem with 550 tds and an undetectably high ph lvl. Cardinal shrimp have recently caught my eye. I'm thinking of dedicating a 10 gallon to them. It's been up a week with 53 watts of light, sand/gravel sub, Eheim 2211 with 2213 prop (more flow), and some anacharis. As far as I know, having the tank cycle for awhile and a good amount of rocks/crushed coral would complete the tank for cardinals. If anyone who has/is keeping them can say their tank/water specs, I'd appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 09:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I suppose if you can raise the hardness a lot and keep it hot.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 09:36 PM
Algae Grower

I currently breed them. It's very important to keep the water temp pretty warm. I keep my at 80, but 78 to 82 is good. My water is as follows:

Temp: 80 degrees
pH: 7.8
TDS: 200
GH: 8 / 160 ppm
KH: 7 / 70 ppm

I'm very fortunate, as they are very healthy and have never stopped breeding.
post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProduceGuy View Post
I currently breed them. It's very important to keep the water temp pretty warm. I keep my at 80, but 78 to 82 is good. My water is as follows:

Temp: 80 degrees
pH: 7.8
TDS: 200
GH: 8 / 160 ppm
KH: 7 / 70 ppm

I'm very fortunate, as they are very healthy and have never stopped breeding.
Awesome, thanks. Any ideas on how I can raise KH?

Temperature shouldn't be a problem. Just haven't put the heater in yet. That was my main problem with CRS/OEBT, the tank temps would hit 82 in the middle of summer, without a heater!
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer551 View Post
Any ideas on how I can raise KH?
People are using Salty Shrimp Sulawesi Mineral.
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 11:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

If you just want to raise KH you can use baking soda. Salty Shrimp Sulawesi Mineral is great if you are starting with RO water since it adds everything you need.
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblongshrimp View Post
If you just want to raise KH you can use baking soda. Salty Shrimp Sulawesi Mineral is great if you are starting with RO water since it adds everything you need.
Right, thanks.

One more question, is it safe to assume that since my KH is low out of the tap, that GH will also be low or somewhere around that ballpark?
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 01:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer551 View Post
Straight from the tap -

TDS - 126
Ph - 7.8-8.0
Kh - 1-2
GH - My new kit is defective :/

Living in Florida, the well water has always been hard. I've tried cardinia with a low amount of success. Neos as always, have been easy, but lately they've been incredibly boring. The original copper pipes in my house were replaced with pvc and I no longer have a problem with 550 tds and an undetectably high ph lvl. Cardinal shrimp have recently caught my eye. I'm thinking of dedicating a 10 gallon to them. It's been up a week with 53 watts of light, sand/gravel sub, Eheim 2211 with 2213 prop (more flow), and some anacharis. As far as I know, having the tank cycle for awhile and a good amount of rocks/crushed coral would complete the tank for cardinals. If anyone who has/is keeping them can say their tank/water specs, I'd appreciate it.
Sorry to rain on your parade, but at least 9 out of 10 people fail when trying to use tap water for these shrimp. Save your time and money and don't make the same mistake that I made when I first tried keeping them.

Your best bet is to use RO water or distilled water from the Grocery store with Salty Shrimp Sulawesi Mineral 7.5 or 8.5. I use 8.5 and my params are pH 8.5, GH 7-8, temp 82, and TDS 150-180. Mine are breeding like crazy in those params.

Good luck!

"Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. Well I say that there are some things we don't want to know. Important things!" Ned Flanders

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=338362
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexinverts View Post
Sorry to rain on your parade, but at least 9 out of 10 people fail when trying to use tap water for these shrimp. Save your time and money and don't make the same mistake that I made when I first tried keeping them.

Your best bet is to use RO water or distilled water from the Grocery store with Salty Shrimp Sulawesi Mineral 7.5 or 8.5. I use 8.5 and my params are pH 8.5, GH 7-8, temp 82, and TDS 150-180. Mine are breeding like crazy in those params.

Good luck!
Thanks a lot! I suppose it takes a lot of the guessing out of things, even though the stuff isn't cheap.

What are your reasons for choosing 8.5 rather than 7.5?

Also, how exactly do you mix the stuff?
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 02:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

The 7.5 is much easier to mix the the 8.5 which is harder to get to dissolve properly. The 8.5 was designed for the harder to breed Sulawesi shrimp and the cardinals do well in both the 7.5 and 8.5.
post #11 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 02:17 AM
These pants? are fancy.

I use the 7.5, works great, but my pH is over 8 even though it's called 7.5, haha.

Most critical part is keeping them over 80 degrees.
post #12 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
I use the 7.5, works great, but my pH is over 8 even though it's called 7.5, haha.

Most critical part is keeping them over 80 degrees.
Sounds good, heat is easy to provide!

What is your kh and gh? I suppose you would have to pay little attention to these while using salty shrimp, correct?

How often do you/should I perform water changes?
post #13 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 04:11 AM
These pants? are fancy.

I've never done a water change in over a year for my cardinals. And there's hundreds in there.

My gh is around 8, I don't know my kh.

I do have to top off quite frequently because of the high temps, even though I have a cover on the tank.

Here's a video
post #14 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Over a year?!?! That contradicts everything I've read so far, lol. Do you know your TDS? You top off with RO water correct?

I'll certainly be interested in some of your shrimp once my tank is cycled.
post #15 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 05:42 AM
These pants? are fancy.

Yah, over a year, haha, and it's only because it's the top tank on this rack, and my water change tube doesn't reach it, and I'm really not keen on manually removing the water.

But it seems to work fine for the shrimp, I've never had a problem breeding them!

Last i checked the tds it was around 450.

I use tap water for top offs, but my tap is basically RO (tds around 10 this time of year)

I have another 20 gallon tank I'm thinking about converting over to sulawesi so I can double my breeding, but I have like 15 pounds of akadama to pull out of it, and I haven't felt like getting muddy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode