Shipping shrimp: Common to lose a few or not? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Shipping shrimp: Common to lose a few or not?

What is the best way to prepare yourself for your shrimp arriving and the proper way to introduce them to the tank?

In the last month I've placed two small orders of shrimp. Both were shipped priority mail and arrived within 2 days. Both packages I had held at my post office and picked them up there within a few hours of them arriving in order to spare them a bumpy all-day ride on the mail truck.

However, both shipments (from different breeders) had shrimp that died within a few hours of introducing them to my tank. It would seem to me this may be due to stress of shipping and I was wondering if these losses are normal or what I can do to better acclimate the shrimp to their new home?

My first order was 5 CRS. Within hours of placing them in the tank, three of them shrimp were already dead. This was weeks ago and the other two remaining have thrived and gotten much bigger.

My next order I got today was for 8 cherry shrimp. Again, within hours two of them are dead. The rest appear okay for now, but I wouldn't be surprised if another couple died within the next 24 hours. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it shipping stress or my tank? If it's my tank, it must be healthy enough to support long term life, but perhaps the parameters are shocking? I'm leaning toward it being the result of shipping stress, which is why I want to know if it's typically to lose a few shrimp shortly after getting them.

Looking forward to the responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 08:17 AM
These pants? are fancy.

That's not a normal experience.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 08:30 AM

I got a BUNCH of PFR culls from a helpful member here and every single one arrived alive and so far I've had a 100% survival rate. Several were even berried. If they are all arriving alive, perhaps there might be a problem in your acclimation procedure and/or water parameters.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 09:03 AM
Planted Member

Even though I had 100% live arrival, I had a high death ratio after acclimating until I tried this method. I'm thinking adding the Prime as soon as I opened the bag really helped. Now I lose very few shrimp.

http://msjinkzd.com/news/acclimating...heir-new-tank/
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, Russell. I'm going to try this with my next order and cross my fingers that I don't find any more dead when I get up tomorrow.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

i have lost one or two in the past while in transit but generally they arrive alive.

i had lost 1 or 2 in the next 2-3 weeks after but they were mainly juvies. never lost any newly acquired adult shrimp.

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I've never had an issue until I got my Blue Diamonds. I got 11 of them, had one DOA and I have lost I don't even know how many. I only ever see two at any one time in my tank so I don't know if that's all I have left, they don't seem to like coming out.

EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 02:45 PM
Planted Shrimp Nut

http://www.planetinverts.com/Acclima...%20Shrimp.html

This is the one I use because they swim out on their own. I only use the plant they cling on if I trust the seller. Other wise I shake everybody off and dip the plant.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 03:17 PM
Algae Grower

I never experienced death hrs after intro but I do have deaths of new shrimp here and there. Out of the 11 orgininal crs I had only 2 have survived and out of 4 mischling I only have 1 left but man are neo's good. Got them at infant stage and all of them survived thus far. I think I'm starting to get it down now though with the water condition/quality.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I am expecting 10 or so CRS from a ROAK tomorrow any tips for acclimating would help. I read that as soon as I open bag I should put a few drops of prime in to ofset amonia spike is this true? These will be my first shrimp and sorry I seem to be a thread hijacker this morning.

Jason
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

This is cut and pasted from Msjinkzed...

"The following is the method which has yielded the highest survival rates for my purposes. First have a net, water conditioner, a container (bucket or pitcher), and some airline available. Immediately upon opening the shipping bag, add a few drops of water conditioner to detoxify the ammonia. Which product is not important, though I use Prime. From this point on it is preference. I prefer to then pour the fish into a net (over the bucket as they are quite jumpy) and add them directly to a dark tank. Typically they are adjusted and acting relatively normally, sometimes even willing to feed, within about 20 minutes. Many prefer the drip method. I have no issue with the drip method, but in order for it to really be effective, it should be done over a minimum of several hours.
To drip acclimate, simply add the fish to the holding container with enough shipping water to cover it (be sure you added the dechlorinator/ammonia binder). Then take your airline and start a siphon from your quarantine tank. Next you tie a knot (or use a two-way adjustable air valve) in the airline to provide a slow drip into the holding container. This allows for gradual increase of temperature, and a more gradual change of total dissolved solids."

I've used both. My person best success is with the drip acclimation. That's what I'll be using today when my super tigers arrive.

EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 03:28 PM
Planted Shrimp Nut

I highly suggest drip too.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Algae Grower

Shrimp are delicate... so you should use the drip method..... It is what work the best for me with fish and shrimp... just be patient....
I think you should check your parameters and do a water change/clean tank before you receive new shrimps... specially if they are expensive...
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 03:42 PM
CPD
Planted Tank Obsessed

I use the drip method and out of numerous shipments I have only had 6 tigers die due to my own tank problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 03:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think the most important thing is to have a healthy cycled tank for your new shrimp to go into and that the parameters are relatively the same as the source. If they are not, then prepare for a longer drip acclimation. Personally, I do faster drips 45-60 minutes and don't have any problems with shrimp dying on me. With adult shrimp, you do have to do longer and slower drips.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode