Seeking a gentle introduction to snails - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Seeking a gentle introduction to snails

I'm scared of snails, lol. OK, not actually. I wouldn't mind a couple of snails in each tank, but I know that some species multiply quickly. And that is what I want to avoid.

I'm guessing I should stay away from ramshorn, trumpets, and pond snails. In my research I came across info that says nerite will not reproduce in freshwater. I really like the markings on some of the shells I've seen. Is Nerite the only choice for someone like me? I'd totally take some nerite, I'd just like to know my options before making a decision.

I have 2-5g and 1-14g. Approx how many per tank? One of the 5g is a male betta tank, and the other is cherry shrimp. The 14g is a community tank.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 02:26 AM

Nerites won't breed in freshwater, but they lay ugly eggs all over. Try sourcing some pixi snails. I have 2 and they have yet to breed or lay eggs. And they're super pretty to boot.

I don't have tons of experience, but they don't appear to be prolific like ramshorns (the only other snail I've kept). Plus they'll eat hydra if you ever get them.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

pixi snails? They sound interesting. Thanks for the tip, I'll look them up/

Does anything eat the nerite eggs? Do they lay them on glass or other surfaces?
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 08:17 AM
Planted Member

Nerites will lay eggs on anything glass, wood, rock or plants. I've never come across anything that will eat their eggs either. You might try apple snails for your larger tank they lay there eggs above the water line so if you keep your tank full you won't have any babies.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 08:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Apple snails will lay eggs on your tops if you have them. They'll even crawl out and lay them if they get a chance to. Some of them get very large and can reproduce just as fast as those other pest snails. Don't underestimate them lol. Careful with some species of apple snails. I know over here in Texas, they're illegal to keep, sell, buy, or trade because of how invasive they are being that when they reproduce, they have a lot of offspring and eat plants. Check with your PWD to see if the species you want is illegal or not.

I love nerites. They come in a lot of patterns to choose from. They're a great option, but as mentioned, they will lay eggs and their eggs are white. It can get annoying, but in a well planted tank, you won't notice it too much. They are great algae eaters too. They will work over a tank covered in diatoms in a few hours! The only thing I've found that they won't eat was hair algae.

SunSun Pimp #82|RAOK Club Member #89|Eheim Pimp #543

210G|1.5G Iwagumi DSM|5G Fluval Chi
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 08:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

i think he is speaking of spixi snails they are neat but hard to find as they are illegal to ship across state lines
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 12:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Just get some MTS, Ramshell, or pond snails. They do a great job. Just don't over feed and you won't have an issue.

EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 03:50 PM
Invert Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to dougolasjr
You could try Japanese Trapdoor Snails.

BAMA AGAIN!!!
ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
-Doug
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Snail like any other live animal or plant need to managed. They all reproduce based on food levels. Food is not limited to fish food flakes. Limit food sources to Alage growth and snails are a wonderful addition to the clean up crew.

I keep Blue & Red/Gold Ramshorns(separate tanks) and MTS. I've recently noticed a Micro version of a Ramshorn that stay very small and the shell tends to lay on it's side as they feed.

When I feel I need to Cull, I put an algae wafer in a fishnet and put it in the tank overnite. In the morning it's full of snails. In my 40 I have about 12 adult Ramshorns that seems about right to control algae in that tank.

When I see my MTS snails out & about doing day hours I know it's time to cull them.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 06:19 PM

Oops yeah I meant spixi snails. Silly auto correct. I like my rams horn snails too. They are prolific but I don't feel like my tanks are over run with them. If the population explodes I cut back on feeding the tank in general and a few days later I notice a few empty shells
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you everyone for the replies.

I know it's probably silly, but way back when I was a kid my mom had a heck of a time with snail control in her fish tank. And now I am skittish about them in a tank. I am not sure I could smash them against the glass as I've read about others doing. I'm cool with the cycle of life, but I'm just not sure I can be the one that actually snuffs them out. :/ The other reason is I have "crunch" issues. If I take my dog for a walk at night and it's rainy, there are always tons of snails on the sidewalks. I HATE crunching them. I try to avoid stepping on them, but sometimes it's too dark. Funny little quirk of mine, huh?

I had also always thought they were tough/hardy. Will they really die if you don't feed for a few days? I only feed EOD as it is because that is the best way I have found to ensure that there aren't leftovers on the floor.

And are there other snails like nerite that don't breed in fresh water? I think I could deal with clutches of eggs that need removed. I'm really thinking I may just go with nerite as an easy start, and I like how they look as well. I'm just looking for advice from those who know.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 08:35 PM
Planted Member

I just got my first nerite this weekend. My tank has been struggling with diatoms, despite having otos. Well, that one little snail has cleaned all the glass in my tank! I love that little thing!

I have pond snails too, but I've never had more than a dozen or so (the biggest one is the size of a pea). I'm careful not to over feed and I think the cories in my tank have a taste for the eggs, because ever since I added them I never have baby snails. I've actually seen my cories slurping the eggs up!
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFish View Post
I just got my first nerite this weekend. My tank has been struggling with diatoms, despite having otos. Well, that one little snail has cleaned all the glass in my tank! I love that little thing!

I have pond snails too, but I've never had more than a dozen or so (the biggest one is the size of a pea). I'm careful not to over feed and I think the cories in my tank have a taste for the eggs, because ever since I added them I never have baby snails. I've actually seen my cories slurping the eggs up!
Good to know. I have cories in my community tank. I'd think that snail eggs would be a nice healthy snack for them.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 08:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am also a fan of Ramshorn snails.

Pros:
-Kinda cute in an odd way
-Cleans up detritus in the tank (including uneaten food and dead plant material)
-Does a great job of pruning injured or dead leaves on the plants without harming the good leaves
-Gives you a good visual indicator of the quality of your feeding schedule/amount, and makes the health of your plants readily obvious

Cons:
-I suppose they could get sucked into a filter at the right size, stopping it.
-Can breed readily, but that is dependent on food availability as mentioned above
-Will make you very conscious of the amount of food you feed. (is this really bad?)
-Will make you conscious of how good/bad your plants are doing.

Again, you would likely have a population boom at first with them. If the numbers continue to climb, it means you're not doing something right. Either too much food or not enough cleaning.

I got mine by accident, but I love them. They are the litmus test for my overall tank health.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

gStitch - You make a really good case for ramshorn snails. I will keep in mind what you wrote because i do see the value of them when you put it that way. I'll have to see if I can brave up to crush snails. Really, I have a hard time with anything that has an exoskeleton that might need crunched. It truly squicks me out and I'm not sure if there is a work around. I have seen pictures of some really pretty pink and purple ones.

Today I went to the lfs to buy a gh/kh test kit. They also had one lonely zebra nerite. So I brought it home as well. It will be a good test run for me to make sure I can handle getting rid of their eggs. I hope that only one of them will mean it's only a small amount of eggs to get rid of. Crossing my fingers anyway.

What kind of acclimation do snails need when introduced to your tanks? I just treated it more like a fish than shrimp to acclimate it today. Then I let my daughter drop it in the water where it promptly landed on its back. I nudged it into upright position and shortly after it began making itself at home.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode