Amano aggression? - The Planted Tank Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Amano aggression?

Anyone ever experience REALLY aggressive amanos? I just looked in my tank and the biggest Amano I have is eating one of my OEBTs....the full molt is half inch away. Clean molt, looks like the amano grabbed the shrimp as soon as it molted. This tank is fed every single day because of the aggressive nature of the tigers as it is....anybody seen anything like this? I didn't witness it so perhaps the shrimp had some issue, but the whole molt is there and clean, doesn't look like a bad molt at all. But these suckers are about to find their way to my outside tank cause I'm about over this. This is the second OEBT I've found in the mouth of an amano....the last one I don't know what happened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 06:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

Amano aggression?

My Amanos are pretty aggressive, I don't keep them with my shrimps tho. I keep them in my betta sorority, and they steal food from them! If They held their ground against bettas, I wouldn't trust them with dwarf shrimps lol
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Maybe I can move this big monster in with the betta. Didn't even think about that. I might just move all 3 of them over there and Robby the betta can see what he thinks. I've lost all love for them right now.
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 06:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

Amano aggression?

Aww, don't hate them. They are just big cute bullies lol.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 07:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

My amanos have killed 4 TT males that just molted. They are surely aggressive. Even if I keep them well fed 0.0
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananariot View Post
My amanos have killed 4 TT males that just molted. They are surely aggressive. Even if I keep them well fed 0.0
They're all coming out today. I have a bad, bad feeling that rotten thing ate my favorite girl that I've rescued from death more than once, my precious Ms Thang as I can't find her. I will be furious and heartbroken if it was her. Only shrimp I have an actual 'pet' attachment too.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

yes my Amano's aren't afraid of anything in my tank and they will steal food. I kinda like that heartiness about them.

So a guy walks into a Pet Store

Guy: "I have Algae on my drift wood!"

Pet Clerk: "Take two Plecos and call me next week."

EHEIM Classic 2213
Check out my blog
tsturgeonblog.wordpress.com/
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I don't care about them stealing food, killing expensive shrimp I DO care about.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 08:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow so sorry to hear :-( Really hoping Ms thang didn't get murdered, what a terrible way to go after everything she has been through. I used to have like 5 amanos, they would steal all the food and chase other shrimp. They all jumped out of the tank over time. I found one in my closet a solid 8 foot away. Can't really say they are missed as they were never replaced. You just cannot catch a break with oebt. Looks like I should be able to send you quite a few babies next round, mine seem bullit proof.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Oh thank GOODNESS I just found Ms Thang. Oh I was going to have such a sad day if it had been her. Amanos still gotta go, but thank goodness it wasn't my sweet girl. WHEW
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 09:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm glad Ms. Thang is okay.

I been thinking of buying Amano shrimp for the hair algae problem I have in two of my tanks and now I may need to find another solution. I really like my Neos and I would hate for them to be killed.

18g (Red Cherry Neo Shrimp | Malawa Shrimp)
7.5g (Yellow Neo Shrimp)
3.2g (Pumpkin Neo Shrimp)
2g (Snails)
11.4g (new home soon for the Pumpkin Neos)
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 11:28 PM
Planted Member

Funny that you bring this up today, I found one of my amanos eating a CBS shrimplet earlier today
But Im glad Ms. Thang was ok!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBliss View Post
I'm glad Ms. Thang is okay.

I been thinking of buying Amano shrimp for the hair algae problem I have in two of my tanks and now I may need to find another solution. I really like my Neos and I would hate for them to be killed.
My amanos wouldn't touch my hair algae
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I got mine for hair algae and they kept it gone, but good grief, I'll just pull the hair algae out. I had been keeping a close eye on them because I'd heard they could be aggressive with babies but these two oebts were adults.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 12:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
Anyone ever experience REALLY aggressive amanos? I just looked in my tank and the biggest Amano I have is eating one of my OEBTs....the full molt is half inch away. Clean molt, looks like the amano grabbed the shrimp as soon as it molted. This tank is fed every single day because of the aggressive nature of the tigers as it is....anybody seen anything like this? I didn't witness it so perhaps the shrimp had some issue, but the whole molt is there and clean, doesn't look like a bad molt at all. But these suckers are about to find their way to my outside tank cause I'm about over this. This is the second OEBT I've found in the mouth of an amano....the last one I don't know what happened.
A freshly molted shrimp is the weakest in terms of energy (due to pre-molt fasting) and the most vulnerable (due to having no hard skeleton). Also, the body of a defenseless shrimp is much more attractive than its molt. So, I would say what you have seen is just nature.

May be you can also add more hiding places to the tank.

BTW, having a diet high in carbohydrates will help to alleviate the effect of starvation due to fasting.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdnet View Post
A freshly molted shrimp is the weakest in terms of energy (due to pre-molt fasting) and the most vulnerable (due to having no hard skeleton). Also, the body of a defenseless shrimp is much more attractive than its molt. So, I would say what you have seen is just nature.

May be you can also add more hiding places to the tank.

BTW, having a diet high in carbohydrates will help to alleviate the effect of starvation due to fasting.

The whole tank is nothing but hiding spaces....trust me, TONS of mosses and cholla logs all throughout as well as IAL leaves they can get under, dual sponge filters, moss balls, etc. And they are fed every single day. As a matter of fact food was in the tank when this occurred. There is no fasting day for this tank due to the species in it and their aggression towards each other when hungry (and not the amanos being the cause for this). Their diet is varied every single day and they are fed protein twice a week, again, because tigers will cannibalize if not fed enough protein. It certainly wasn't lack of food that caused this, again, food was in the tank at the time. That's why I have no guilt throwing them in with the betta.

And I know shrimp are at their weakest after a molt, I've filmed them, photographed them, and know when they are about to molt when I keep a close eye on the tanks throughout the day. And yes, I agree, just nature, nothing personal but still, no sweat off my back moving them. Even the tigers themselves aren't that aggressive.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode