The Planted Tank Forum banner

CPO vs Cajun dwarf cray?

2K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  Soup12 
#1 ·
Are they the same thing? If not, what more popular, size, easier to breed?

#2 ·
Not the same thing.

CPOs are a different, more aggressive diminutive species.

DCCs are another diminutive species that is less aggressive.

Both breed, popularity is arbitrary.

#6 ·
Your experiences and views may vary. Plain and simple. I've never owned anything more aggressive than my CPO. Even a puffer attacking snails isn't as vicious as the CPOs.

I've seen very docile DCCs.

Do extensive research before purchasing any animal.

#8 ·
I only kept my CPOs with plants, and they didn't eat them.

I'd say if you get CPOs, try a 10-20g specifically for them with lots of hiding places. Tons of rocks, caves and lots cholla wood.

They'll definitely breed in there.

The one thing they have going for them is they're hardy buggers.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
CPOs are mean little [EDITED] IME

But like the thread says....Your miles may vary.

I have heard DC are tamer but I've had both and boy oh boy are the males mean.
IME the female are a lot nicer but the males I have kept will attack anything that moves...

If I had to choose one I'd say DCC are nicer, I see a lot more inter specie aggression with CPO and a lot of my snowball shrimp and cherry shrimp are missing limbs.......

#10 ·
i had CPOs and breed cajuns today.

have about 30+ in a 10g moss jungle along with cherry shrimp.

CPOs remind me of the highlander... 5 were kept in a deep blue 5 partition tank as i didnt want to breed them just yet before setting up a separate 10g however the male spent the day trying to climb into the next compartment to duke it out. I would literally lose 1 cpo a day for a week until there was one...

the Cajuns started out in a bare tank for a few weeks with driftwood, plants mosses and shrimp added over several weeks... they have been continuing to breed so i would wager their aggression is way lower than the CPOs. im not sure if this is common or just the ones i had, but the Cajuns are slightly smaller than CPO if only by 1/10th of a tail fin.

I absolutely love their posturing raising their claws at each other , with niether wanting to take the first swing... they are very entertaining and pretty much leave everyone else alone.

#13 ·
Popularity is only gauged by the person who says the supposed popularity.

There are no real concrete numbers unless you create a poll yourself.

If your whole goal is to breed just to sell, I do believe you're setting yourself up for failure in the hobby.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.