Are my parameters OK for OEBT? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Question Are my parameters OK for OEBT?

I might be getting some OEBT! Yay! In addition to the question the title says, would I have any trouble acclimating the shrimp if these are his parameters?

My parameters (btw this is out of tap, no RO):
ph 7.8 (a bit high...)
kh 4
gh 6
TDS 160

Breeder's parameters:
ph 6.5
kh 1
gh 5
TDS n/a

He says that my params will not work, but my understanding is that they prefer a slightly higher kh and ph? What do you folks keep them in?

How I feel about non-planted aquariums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 06:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I personally wouldn't keep them in your conditions, your pH is far above what i would keep them at, your kh is far too high, and I we don't even know what the temperature you keep them at is yet.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 06:57 PM
CPD
Planted Tank Obsessed

Are my parameters OK for OEBT?

My parameters are:
pH- 7.6
KH- 3
GH- 5
TDS- 155
My only suggestion would be to drip acclimate them at a slow rate. Mayb over a couple of hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 06:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You want to match the breeders for best results. Your KH is too high needs to be 0-2. pH is slightly high and especially with them coming from such a lower pH they probably won't adapt as well with that big of a difference.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 08:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'd try to match the water as close as possible. Then, once the shrimp are very settled and doing well, you might be able to VERY SLOWLY (likes weeks or months) adapt them to your tap water or at least a tap/RO mix. But really, the breeder's parameters are easy to obtain with RO, remineralizer, and some buffering substrate so it might just be as easy to maintain them.

EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 08:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
You want to match the breeders for best results. Your KH is too high needs to be 0-2. pH is slightly high and especially with them coming from such a lower pH they probably won't adapt as well with that big of a difference.
Agreed. The breeder's params are just too far off what you have out of tap. Unless you go remineralized RO or have some type of buffering substrate, I wouldn't test it.

the difference in pH isn't just a change of 1 pH, you gotta remember pH is on a logarithmic scale so a change in 1 is actually very large.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 10:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My breeder's was ph 6.8 kh 0-1 gh 5 and I am very successfuly keeping them in ph 7.4 kh 4 gh 6 tds 210 temp 68.5. All females stay berried and I have atleast 20 babies in the tank right now. I do a slow drip 20% water change twice a week. People have told me just about everything I have done from before I got them was wrong. But they are thriving and I have not had a death in months. Maybe I'm just really lucky I guess
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ugh maybe I should just buy from a breeder who has similar parameters. According to shrimp keeping, http://www.shrimpkeeping.com/ I would be OK (other than ph) but I agree it would be very stressful to make a transition. So how do I lower the kh without using RO? Would driftwood help?

Do small shrimp adapt better than adults?

Thanks for all the opinions, experiences, and stuff.

Last edited by assasin6547; 04-01-2013 at 12:23 AM. Reason: .
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 12:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by assasin6547 View Post
Ugh maybe I should just buy from a breeder who has similar parameters. According to shrimp keeping, http://www.shrimpkeeping.com/ I would be OK (other than ph) but I agree it would be very stressful to make a transition. So how do I lower the kh without using RO? Would driftwood help?

Do small shrimp adapt better than adults?

Thanks for all the opinions, experiences, and stuff.
It can be done. I think a good acclimation would be crucial. Perhaps a very slow drip.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

OK here's a bit more info and more questions.

I can't really read my Ph test but it looks like a wine red color, or dark crimson but not quite purple or brown. Also, my tap's parameters are actually different from tank params, why is this? I don't have any non-inert decor, substrate etc.

Tap:
Ph 7.4
Kh 1
Gh 2
TDS 60
Temp is 65. Is that too cold?

How do I lower Ph and Kh without using RO water?
Do young shrimp acclimate better than adults?

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 12:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

young shrimp do acclimate better than adults, and there is no good way to lower the Kh of water without using RO or distilled water
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 01:25 AM
The Security Dude

I say go for it, 7.4 is not bad I would do a GH no less than 5 and kh0-2 get pee wees or juvis they will acclimate to it not a problem. Keep your temps no higher than 72 is best

55 Planted Rummys,2 GBR,8 Corys,4 Discus PFR Culls
Many shrimp tanks
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...half-done.html
Finnex Pimp #8
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Also, since I'm a new OEBT owner how do I make sure that the shrimp breed true? I contacted one guy earlier this month and he said 90% of the offspring were blonde... not the case with this seller (I hope) but I need some reassurance.

I think I'll buy a pair and try it out.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 01:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

OEBTs don't breed true....Benibachi has some that do but they're $50 a piece and out of stock last I checked. But those are the only ones I've ever heard of breeding true. OEBTs will throw different shades of blues and blondes.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I also posted this in my journal.

I wanted to find a way to lower my ph and my kh so I could house some OEBT, however I have heard weird things about using API's ph down or really any other chemical "ph down". Here are some questions I wanted to answer and I couldn't find much info online so I decided to do an informal experiment. BTW I really have no idea why I have this, it was just sitting with all my other chems.

1. How long does the it affect the parameters assuming nothing (stones, dw, etc) is buffering the water. Will it (the ph) bounce back?
2. How many drops required to lower the ph a certain amount?

I have 2 one pint jars both filled with tap. My tap ph is 7.6+ so I added ph down until it read 6.0 (4 drops). I measured kh, and sure enough the one with added ph down read 1, whereas the control needed 2. In order to make sure it's not a random occurrence I tested multiple jars. 3 jars for adjusted ph and still 1 kh. 3 jars for controls, all same results. So I think I can assume that the stuff lowers both kh and ph.

I will check ph and kh again tomorrow to see if there are any differences, as in if it's only a temporary fix. The idea is that buffering substrates will not absorb stuff forever if you change water using tap, so why not adjust the tap's kh and ph? In addition to a longer buffering soil, sensitive shrimp will not be as stressed after a water change because I'm not changing in 7.6 ph water.

I really really hope that this will end up good. So I won't have to use RO.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode