Question about cycle a new tank for shrimp - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Question Question about cycle a new tank for shrimp

Hello,

If I bought a new 5gal tank, use the water from current running cycled tank with moss, driftwood and filter media .

Can I use this new 5gal tank instantly with shrimp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 06:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If the stuff being transferred is fresh from a running tank with some sort of bioload, then yes, you can add shrimp.

EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Nubster. Good to know .
post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah, shrimp have a pretty tiny bioload so as long as there is bacteria present on the media and plants/wood, you are good. There shouldn't be any risk of a mini-cycle. How long has the other tank been running and do you have livestock in it now?

post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The currently cycled tank has been running for a year, it's run for Neo shrimp (red fire) .. so I want to create another new tank (without wait for normal cycle) to use for the new shrimp of Neo (ex: yellow rilli)

Question: The only new item in this new tank is the soil and/or sand/gravel .. does this will make any different?
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

No. I've started a number of new tanks with new sand and old filter media and never had a problem. They were all shrimp tanks too.

post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ah that's good.

Do I have to wait for a day or two before put shrimp in the new created tank? BTW, what kind of sand do you use for your shrimp? what is the kind of your shrimp?
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Might not hurt just so you can let everything settle and check parameters just to make sure things are good to go. I'd set it up one day, check things the next and if ok, add the shrimp.

post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Look like you have the yellow neo shrimp tank, this is what i am going target for .. umm I am not sure where I can find the Black Diamond blasting media substrate .. does it do good for yellow neo?
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Seemed to. I had some breeding with them but they are a little more picky to keep. I don't have them anymore. Now I just have PFR. I'm getting ready to setup a nano tank and thinking about trying either snowballs or blueberry and I'd love to try Tigers again or maybe try my hand at Cardinals. I got my Black Diamond from Tractor Supply Company. 50 pounds for $8. I have loads of it left. I could send some to you for the cost of shipping which would be a USPS flatrate medium or large box to cover a 5g tank. Bad thing is, that will cost more than what the 50 pounds cost me...lol...just an option if you want. Otherwise, it's more money, but I had good luck with Petco black sand and Tahitian Moon Sand.

post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yeah PFR is easy to keep same as with rilli, I hope I can get success with yellow because i havent play with yellow before which I heard it hard to keep and breed too right?

I will try petco black sand, it should have here in portland, oregon. how much cost for petco sand?

Last edited by Master503; 03-26-2013 at 08:28 PM. Reason: edited
post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 08:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If I remember right, it was like $15ish for a 20# bag which would be more than enough for a 5g tank. They have smaller bags too.

Tahitian Moon is about the same price and honestly, I think I like it a little better. Petco should have it too so you can compare.

post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 08:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'm sorry to say something different. I set up two Fluval Flora (7.9G) 10 days ago, one with inert substrate one with Fluval Plant Stratum, both tanks will be for shrimps.

I use the bio media from a 1 year old Neo tank, I added some pure ammonia to get the NH3/NH4 to about 4ppm. Then I've been testing NH3/NO2/NO3 almost daily.

The inert tank got a nitrite spike on the second day, with probably 1 - 1.5ppm NH3/NH4 left and about 1ppm of nitrite. The FPS tank was slower but also see some nitrite the second day.

Now almost 10 days later, the inert tank is ready, it can deal with 2ppm of ammonia in 24 hrs (i.e. no NH3/NH4/NO2 in 24 hrs), I'll do a 100% WC today to get rid of the nitrate (~80ppm) then add plants in there, blast with light maybe 24hrs a day for 2-3 days and will add shrimps.

The FPS tank is still not ready, may need another week or so. It's understandable as the PH is lower which will require a longer cycle period.

Does it mean you'll have to redo the cycle process? Probably not, 90% you'll be fine as long as you don't get a ammonia spike, the existing bacteria in the established media should be able to handle small amount of ammonia/nitrite. But I like to be safe so I took the extra step.
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 08:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

But I think the issue is, unless you have loads of shrimp in the tank that you pulled media from, the bacteria isn't seeing loads like you placed on them in the new tanks, so of course they couldn't handle the high ammonia and had a mini cycle. If there are a decent amount of shrimp in the established tank, and you pull media from it and place in a new tank and only lightly stock, there should be plenty of bacteria to handle that light load.

That's not to say the way you did it is wrong and certainly a safe way to ensure that your tanks can handle about any thing you throw at it, but I also think that the bioload of say 10 neos won't even register enough to be of any concern when using well seeded media.

post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Let say, if I have 10-15 new neo yellow put in new created tank after 2-3 days, would it cause the issue of the cycle?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode