Question about cycle a new tank for shrimp - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 09:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

In my experience you may still get an ammonia spike in the new tank. The best thing you can do is just add a little Tetra Safe Start to be sure it doesn't happen. This stuff is concentrated nitrifying bacteria and will instantly cycle your tank, and will lead to a stable cycle. Just add the shrimp and the Safe Start at the same time. Petsmart carries it. The stuff works like magic. Nutrifin makes something comparable as well.

"Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. Well I say that there are some things we don't want to know. Important things!" Ned Flanders

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=338362
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

I agree with what you say, Nubster. I just didn't want to take the chances, and as I said, I think 90% or more it's okay without the extra step. The media I moved from was in a tank with 300 PFRs in a 20G, running for 1 year, just for reference.

New shrimps in new tank are under a lot of stress, no need to add ammonia or, worse, nitrite to them. In my case, it's a few high grade chocolate female I don't want to mess with.
post #18 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 09:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Right, you definitely did it the safest way and not bad advice at all.

EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

post #19 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 09:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master503 View Post
Let say, if I have 10-15 new neo yellow put in new created tank after 2-3 days, would it cause the issue of the cycle?
IMO, it won't be an issue. Being that you are getting yellows, you may want to get the bacteria in the bottle like Lexinverts suggested or dose your tank to a low ammonia concentration like randyl did (although he dosed to a high concentration for extra precaution) to see if you have the bacteria to handle the load you are placing on it. Get it up to .25ppm-.5ppm and see if things go to 0 within 24 hours. If so, you should be good to go. Do a big WC to get nitrates back down low and add your shrimp. If things don't level out in 24 hours, then you need to add the bacteria or wait out the mini cycle before adding shrimp. Especially yellows since they are a bit finicky.

post #20 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I did see Tetra Safe Start @ petsmart, but I have never use this before. So this product is make your tank cycle instantly?
post #21 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 09:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I did see Tetra Safe Start @ petsmart, but I have never use this before. So this product is make your tank cycle instantly?
Yes.

"Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. Well I say that there are some things we don't want to know. Important things!" Ned Flanders

post #22 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Lexinverts, thanks for great suggestion. But how do you use this product? Let say, if I start a new 5gal tank (does not consider use some old stock from existing cycled tank).

How do you dose ? and how do you know it's done with cycle? Do you mind let me know. thanks
post #23 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 09:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Lexinverts, thanks for great suggestion. But how do you use this product? Let say, if I start a new 5gal tank (does not consider use some old stock from existing cycled tank).

How do you dose ? and how do you know it's done with cycle? Do you mind let me know. thanks
They sell different sized bottles for different sized tanks. I think there is one that is good for up to a 10 gallon tank. Just add the shrimp and dump the whole bottle in at the same time. Do an ammonia test the next day to make sure that you didn't get a bad bottle, but most of the time you will have perfect parameters by the next day. Just read the instructions on the bottle or at Tetra's website for more information.

post #24 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just did a quick research about TSS, for fresh/new tank. If I added tap water with Prime, fill up the water into the tank, let it run with filter for 24 hours and then dump the amount of TSS bottle (maybe entire bottle) + 1 stock in (fish and/or shrimp)

My questions are:

How long do I have to have wait to start test the ammonia and nitrates?
What are the ammonia and nitrates number I should see from the start/reg?

I do understand the ammonia/nitrates should become 0 after that few days?

Thanks Lux.

it seem like TSS is good reviews from the research.
post #25 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If the stuff works, I'd think it should be zero. You shouldn't see any ammonia or nitrites since you are adding the bacteria to the tank and they should be taking care of any ammonia produced by the shrimp from day one.

If nothing else, and I hate using livestock to test tank quality, but you could always put 10 of your cherry shrimp into the tank and see how the biofilter handles them. If everything is good, take them out and replace with the yellows.

post #26 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 10:14 PM
Invert Warrior

Question about cycle a new tank for shrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
No. I've started a number of new tanks with new sand and old filter media and never had a problem. They were all shrimp tanks too.
+1 I have only ever cycled one tank. It has been in my line of tanks since

---

Edit :I'm a firm disbeliever in bacteria in a bottle. There's one new product that might... But I doubt it.

*Retired for now*
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
post #27 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 10:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
+1 I have only ever cycled one tank. It has been in my line of tanks since
Yeah, honestly, once I have a mature tank, I just seed media and use that and to date have never had a problem. I do understand taking the extra steps to make sure and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. Better safe than sorry. But I honestly think with seeded media plus plants and driftwood, only adding 10 shrimp, you should be just fine. Of course, for your peace of mind, take the extra steps if you want. Only thing you're out is a little money and time.

If I was concerned, I'd set up the new take and dose with pure ammonia and see how that works out. It would literally take just drops of ammonia (.1ml to dose 5g water to .5ppm, there's 20 drops in 1ml, so 2 drops is all you'd need) to dose up to .25-.5ppm, just enough to get a reading on a test kit, wait 24 hours and re-test and if it's at 0 you're good. But, if you don't have it, you'll spend almost as much on a bottle of ammonia as you will on the bottle of bacteria.

post #28 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 10:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I just did a quick research about TSS, for fresh/new tank. If I added tap water with Prime, fill up the water into the tank, let it run with filter for 24 hours and then dump the amount of TSS bottle (maybe entire bottle) + 1 stock in (fish and/or shrimp)

My questions are:
How long do I have to have wait to start test the ammonia and nitrates?
What are the ammonia and nitrates number I should see from the start/reg?

I do understand the ammonia/nitrates should become 0 after that few days?

Thanks Lux.

it seem like TSS is good reviews from the research.
Ammonia and Nitrites should be zero in about 12 hrs. You should never see high ammonia or nitrites, since the SafeStart bacteria break it down as soon as it is produced by your livestock. There is more information on the bottle as to how long it should take.

It's important you add the bacteria at the exact same time as the livestock, otherwise the bacteria will starve, for lack of ammonia and nitrite to feed on in the new tank.

post #29 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

umm Prior dump the entire bottle of TSS into the new water tank, if you test the ammonia/ Nitrites should it has some kind of reg number from beginning? I thought it's still Zero too? what you think?
post #30 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 10:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
umm Prior dump the entire bottle of TSS into the new water tank, if you test the ammonia/ Nitrites should it has some kind of reg number from beginning? I thought it's still Zero too? what you think?
Yes, it should be zero from the beginning. However, you might have a little ammonia in the tank within a few hours of adding the TSS and livestock.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode