The Planted Tank Forum banner

Essential tools for the average shrimper

23K views 57 replies 24 participants last post by  MABJ 
#1 · (Edited)
I see lots of threads repeatedly asking for help, and lots of great replies. My goal here is to spread some knowledge to those who aren't in deep yet about where to invest so to speak.

There are a bunch of factors in shrimping which allow a keeper to see his flock grow. One essential thing is the choice of the tools you use.

There are worthless tools, fancy tools, basic tools and confusing ones, but if you invest in this list, you'll at least have an easier time keeping your aquarium up.

So here's a list with a brief reason as to why. They are in no particular order.

1.) Test kits. More specifically, Nitrate, Ammonia, GH, KH and PH. Keeping these on hand helps you diagnose an issue or prevent one from happening.

2.) Food dishes. This is a tool so paramount in a shrimp tank I can't express it enough. Although I recently started using mine, I see a decrease in critters like nematodes and I see no mess. My shrimp get all the food they can, and the snails mop up the rest. Nothing falls through the cracks.

3.) Backup equipment. If you could get a battery powered air pump, you'd be saving yourself strife next time your friendly neighborhood hurricane knocks out power in your home. If you have a backup filter, you can also quickly replace one if it breaks.

4.) Aquascaping tools. Specifically, tongs and scissors. These are SUPER important. Most shrimpers keep plants, most plants need trimming. Scissors are a quick way of trimming. Tongs are the most useful tool I've ever had. Whenever you can keep your hand out of the tank, the better off you are. I use my tongs at least once a day. (Not to mention my shrimp attack them lol)

5.) TDS Meter. Just do it. You know you want to. There are some cheap ones around, but these are the second most useful things I've ever used. TDS is a quick way of gauging tank status. Usually if something is off, the TDS will reflect it.

6.) A good sterile bucket. For nano keepers, a 1g black bucket costs $1 at the dollar tree, and for the people who keep bigger aquariums, home deopot has handy dandy 5g+ buckets. I use my bucket for everything. Water changes, water mixing, planting, acclimating, you name it.

7.) Tupperware. Just keep a few around, and you'll thank me someday. I buy it when I find a good deal. I got about 10 for a buck the other day. They're disposable things you can do good things with. Give a shrimp to a friend? Here take this for the road. Plants? This is an easy method. They're also great hospitalization tanks, as you can clearly see what is going on and access it.

8.) Some type of syringe like a turkey baster or a handy scooper. For when you need to do water changes or fills, this is an easy way that doesn't disturb your water.

9.) A sewing kit. Even one of those little tiny zip up kits. You never know when a little needle/thread might be useful. The tiny scissors help as well.

10.) Lots of paper towels. I don't use things I've washed in the laundry to clean my tools. I take out a paper towel every time and wipe down my tools after I'm done using them so they're dry.

11.) Shrimp/Small net. Fluval makes one, someone makes a copy of it. They're telescopic, so you can keep them short or long. SUPER useful in nanos, or larger aquariums too for shrimp wrangling.

12.) Need I say it? Thermometer. Most shrimp like it around or just below 70. Above and you'll need a fan. But make sure if you dip too far below to purchase a heater for use during cold months.

13.) Cooling fan. As I mentioned in the post above, if you don't have AC, a cooling fan will be important for you in the summer months.

And just a bit of advice, keep your tools tank-specific tools.

If anybody has something to add, I think this would be a helpful thing to cultivate.

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks! It's just a snippet of how I'll start plotting out my chapters to formulate helpful things.

I'll be adding it to my signature and invite others who wish to also do so. There's also a 'Sage advice for shrimp keepers' thread ill be adding to my sig.

#9 ·
Problem with shrimp dishes.....shrimp don't always leave the food in the dishes. Only shrimp I've ever had leave well enough alone were neos with a few CRS in with them. My CRS and tibee tanks now you can forget it. There's always a thief who will pull it out so shrimp dishes, though I DO recommend them just don't work in all tanks.

I'd like to add plant tweezers to the list (good for removing food, any dead bodies, etc)

#13 ·
White vinegar is what I use to clean all my tools and my fishtanks when I do 100% changes. It's antibacterial, rinses clean and even if there IS a small residue it's not harmful to fish or invertebrates. It's a 'stripper' of sorts so say you wash your hands with soap in soft water...doesn't feel like the soap is off half the time....vinegar cuts right through it and gets it off...and again rinses easily. To each their own, but it's what I use to disinfect all my tools and nets, so just a suggestion:) I didn't say it needed to be added TO the shrimp tank;)

#17 ·
I'm a new shrimp keeper. I've been stalking this forum a LOT. You guys have gorgeous tanks and shrimp. This list is insanely helpful!! Thank you!!!

I have a question specifically about the feeding bowl. (I hope you don't mind that I ask here.) I like the idea and want to use one since I have no fish to help keep other inverts under control. What is something good to use for this?

#20 ·
Asking here is encouraged :). The bowls are little Pyrex dishes I believe. Two sellers that I know of sell them on the forum now.

H4n and MissNemoShrimp, I think is her name. Browse the for sale thread and find feeding dishes.

I use plastic ones as they're several millimeters smaller than the glass ones.

#22 ·
Lol I might swing by our bio dept. or when I take batty lab next semester.

The plastic ones sink, actually. They're buoyant to a certain extent, but they do sink to the bottom.

#27 ·
Haha thanks, Nick! That slipped my mind, but dang those are nice fans.

I've always had central air, fortunately.

This will be added to the list.

I won't be adding anything on drip acclimation, as that isn't the goal of this list and its methods are very debated.

#29 ·
gh booster, preferably one formulated with shrimp in mind.
tds meter also a staple in my tool kit.
MOSS of any variety except terrestrial
air stone and pump
driftwood
If i were to have three staple foods, algae wafers, supersoft krill pellets, supersoft spirulina

some optional things like:
IAL
yeast/bacter
humic acid
cholla wood
feeding dish: i use soy sauce dishes from the asian supermarket. $.99 ea.

#31 ·
Thanks, Albert!

I originally was thinking this should just be a 'Tools' like tangible tools thread.

I could easily make a section for some of the things you suggested.

#36 ·
Yeah I understand this. I keep two heaters around, but I know the temp fluctuates a little and don't use them.

If enough people suggest heaters, I'll add a backup heater to the list. But I don't know of that many people trying to keep outdoor tanks.

#37 ·
I live on the second floor in an apartment building in Boston and I keep heaters in all of my tanks. I don't like the idea of large temperature fluctuations and have them set pretty low. But they will kick in when the temperature reaches something like 68 degrees. I think heaters, in the winter, are vital unless you can predict the temperature of the room consistently. Same reason you keep a thermometer in the tank. If you're not worried about temperature fluctuations, then why care record it? If there is a possibility then why not add a heater, set it on low, just to be safe? I have a thermometer in the room and the temperature there drops to 10 degrees (centigrade) every once in a while.

#38 ·
I'm not advocating for people not using heaters, or not even keeping them around. I'm just saying this is a list of things that are always going to help every shrimper.

I really appreciate all the input thus far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.