Originally Posted by ProjectCode619
So I am taking that water changes might increase the chances of an infection because one wouldn't know when the water would be contaminated or not? But what if 100 RO% is used everytime, shouldn't RO get rid of most, if not all, of those things?
My disastrous time with mine I was using a mix of tap water and RO. This time I use 100% RO water. I just feel it's safer than my tap.
The main thing I felt did wrong was I got OEBTs from 3 sources. The first ones I got had lived a couple of weeks so I felt confident. So I got another batch in. Those lived a week so I got another batch in. So, the first batch was ok. The second batch arrived, stressed from shipping (worst shrimp shipping I've seen, one had a broken tail and died in a few hours even, had lost 3-4 by the next morning), so they go into the tank with a weak immune system, become susceptible to bacteria. Then a week after that I got another batch in. So basically I start introducing new bacteria to the tank over and over again with each new bath of shrimp. What I started to realize was it took a few weeks before I actually SAW signs of bacterial infection....it wasn't cloudy bodies...it was missing antennae that were my first signs. Then the deaths started happening. So I started dosing stuff. I researched and researched and asked for help and did everything I could, 80% water changes, 3 weeks of Melafix, tried Paraguard one day with bad results so didn't use it anymore, and in a final desperate bid tried Maracyn 2 which was so strong it killed some neos, more OEBT, AND snails. In the end I crashed the tank doing too much. So, tore the whole thing down and started over.
Every time you introduce livestock, plants, rocks, anything, you introduce new bacteria into the environment. I just put some new shrimp in there this weekend and trust me, I'm biting my nails praying everybody makes it through unscathed.