PFR/Tiger nano - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PFR/Tiger nano

Well, post #1 of another build thread. Nothing on hand yet, still in the planning stage, but I thought I'd get the thread going to try and get some interest as well as input.

What I'm going to do is a Mr. Aqua 12" cube tank which is about 7.5 gallons I think. Plans are to try and get the water close to pH 6.8 - pH 7 which I think will do well for both shrimp.

It will be low tech, I'll be planting with some moss, crypts, anubias, maybe some java fern, just stuff I have on hand.

Filtration, most likely an AquaClear 20 but open to suggestions. I don't want to do a sponge in this tank.

Lighting will be either a Finnex FugeRay Ultra Slim LED Fixture or a Finnex FugeRay-R Ultra Slim LED Fixture +RED boost. Trying to find out if the red is of any benefit to the plants. These are not set in stone so other suggestions are welcome. The FugeRay at least gets good reviews and for $30...it's hard to beat the price for a small LED fixture that will work on such a small tank.

Substrate, still up in the air but leaning towards FSS since it seems to buffer a little higher.

Remineralizer...not sure on that either. Thinking Salty Shrimp Bee Shrimp Mineral GH+ since it seems to be the cleanest and best bang for the buck.

That's where I'm at right now. Chime in if you want. All input is welcome. Pics to come as stuff gets ordered and arrives.

EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 01:36 AM
Invert Warrior

PFR/Tiger nano

First post, yay.

I like FSS. A lot of people recommend UP aqua shrimp soil/sand.

I think this will be very neat.

Why not try a ZooMed 501 filter with the spray bar? I like it a lot

*Retired for now*
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

That's a possibility. I was also looking at the Finnex PX-360 HOB Canister Filter but I haven't checked for reviews on it yet. I'd like to do a canister if I can. I'll definitely look at the ZooMed.

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 01:44 AM
Invert Warrior

PFR/Tiger nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
That's a possibility. I was also looking at the Finnex PX-360 HOB Canister Filter but I haven't checked for reviews on it yet. I'd like to do a canister if I can. I'll definitely look at the ZooMed.
I've heard mixed reviews. Mostly good, though.

I'll be following. I like canisters on tanks!

*Retired for now*
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah, I really like my AquaTop on my 20L.

post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 01:54 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

Honestly, I'd grab an AC30. It's quieter than the AC20 and allows for more media flexibility. Easier to stuff a bag of Purigen in there if needed.

Salty Shrimp is my hands-down favorite for all shrimp. 1,000 grams lasts FOREVER. And it's super-clean, as you said. The $60 you spend on a huge container of GH+ would cost you hundreds upon hundreds of dollars when spent on Mosura or Shirakura (my second-favorite) remineralizers.
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 01:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Woah. I going to do the same thing!!! 12" Rimless cube, Amazonia, Finnex Fugeray, CRS/CBS or Tibees. I'm going to run a dual sponge filter on this.

- Brian
That one guy that is always online.
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 02:28 AM
The Security Dude

PFR/Tiger nano

Get your ph up, you don't need buffer substrate for either of these do something inert and go for a 7-7.6 ph

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

55 Planted Rummys,2 GBR,8 Corys,4 Discus PFR Culls
Many shrimp tanks
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...half-done.html
Finnex Pimp #8
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 02:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Problem with 'cleanest' remineralizer is tigers like TDS. Most folks according to what I've read on here and elsewhere keep them around or above 200. Salty Shrimp puts you at 110-120 with a GH of 5 (which is about right for tigers). I use Salty shrimp for my CRS/CBS/Goldens and use Fluval minerals for my tiger/tibee/CBS tank.
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 02:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
Lol at first glance, they seem the same to me lolol......

I would try to get some oxygenation in the tank. High O2 content in the water never hurts.

Just remember what you want when you setup the tank. I first started out wanting a nice scape and a bunch of shrimp. It's hard to do. I'm beginning to lean toward a bunch of shrimp, so I'm simplifying my tank setups. Though it's not impossible to do both, it just takes more effort to do.

I like to keep my pH right around 6.7-6.8 for my tigers....They seemed to do fine before I shut the tank down. I'm really itching to setup another tank for them again.

Going R/O? I remember there was just something not nice about your tap
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 03:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have an AC30 on my Mr. Aqua 7.5 gallon and I love it. Very quiet.

18g (Red Cherry Neo Shrimp | Malawa Shrimp)
7.5g (Yellow Neo Shrimp)
3.2g (Pumpkin Neo Shrimp)
2g (Snails)
11.4g (new home soon for the Pumpkin Neos)
post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Honestly, I'd grab an AC30. It's quieter than the AC20 and allows for more media flexibility.
I love AC's, I just thought maybe the 30 would be too much for such a small tank. I have a 50 and a 110 and the shell of a 20. I'll definitely keep them on the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarbee54 View Post
Get your ph up, you don't need buffer substrate for either of these do something inert and go for a 7-7.6 ph

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Well, I had tigers at pH 7.6 and they died. I had tigers at pH 6.4 and they died. I figured I'd try in the middle and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
Problem with 'cleanest' remineralizer is tigers like TDS. Most folks according to what I've read on here and elsewhere keep them around or above 200. Salty Shrimp puts you at 110-120 with a GH of 5 (which is about right for tigers). I use Salty shrimp for my CRS/CBS/Goldens and use Fluval minerals for my tiger/tibee/CBS tank.
I had tigers with remineralized RO water with TDS around 200 and they died. I had tiger with tap water that was around TDS 220 and they died. GH 5 in both situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananariot View Post
Lol at first glance, they seem the same to me lolol......

I would try to get some oxygenation in the tank. High O2 content in the water never hurts.

Just remember what you want when you setup the tank. I first started out wanting a nice scape and a bunch of shrimp. It's hard to do. I'm beginning to lean toward a bunch of shrimp, so I'm simplifying my tank setups. Though it's not impossible to do both, it just takes more effort to do.

I like to keep my pH right around 6.7-6.8 for my tigers....They seemed to do fine before I shut the tank down. I'm really itching to setup another tank for them again.

Going R/O? I remember there was just something not nice about your tap
I'll definitely make sure there's lots of surface agitation. And yeah, not planning on a Amano tank or anything. Probably just a nice center piece rock, maybe a piece or two of wood, and some plants tucked in here and there. As long as I can keep the plants alove and the tank relatively algae free, I'm a happy camper.

And yes on RO. Or at least maybe mix RO and tap and see what I get. My tap seems ok, it does fine for neos, even yellows, but for some reason, I've struck out twice with tigers. Once with RO, once with tap. Just not sure what's up. First time I had some OEBT and I was using Akadama and Kent's RO Right. Second time was one OEBT and some super tigers in tap and they kicked the bucket too. I mean these damn shrimp can't be that hard to keep can they?

Out of the tap I am getting:

pH 7.6
KH 5
GH 6 or 7
TDS 117

Out of the RO/DI:

pH 6.5
KH 0
GH 0
TDS 2

R/O with Kent's to GH 4 = TDS 187

Last edited by Nubster; 03-15-2013 at 04:59 AM. Reason: ....
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 05:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Doesn't matter what you had when the tigers died. YOu need to figure out the params of the breeder/where you're getting them from and match that.
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 06:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
yeah i think inert substrate is best for tigers. they like ph 7 or a bit higher. mine always did better with them above 7. only down side to that is they get bacterial infections easy and its more prevelent in a higher ph like 7. also watch your temps that is the other big factor in bacterial infections. i use pool filter sand and black sand mixed so i could still see the shrimp and with it mixed like that the colors still pop
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 01:01 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Nearly all of my Tigers have originated from sellers with tank parameters far different than my own. They've all been doing fine, breeding, etc for quite a while. All are in GH of 5-6 using Salty Shrimp.

They're at least as hardy - if not more so - than the Tigers I keep in half tap/half RO (KH 2, GH 7, higher TDS). Temperature for me has been the stickler. I keep my tanks at about 68-70 year round.

Nubster: I use AC30s on 5.5gals and they're perfect. Turning flow way down works out really well. With the added power, you can crank things up if you need to prolong time between cleanings (not advised but obviously possible). Have found them to be perfect for tanks under 10 gallons.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode