Just bought 100 bee shrimp, Help prepping tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just bought 100 bee shrimp, Help prepping tank

So I have 3 tanks

15 gallon, 30 and 55.

Which one would be preferable for this quantity of shrimp.

I'm planning on setting it up tomorrow, Tips as I never handled this many shrimp as for this species before.

Water parameters is self explanatory however equipment, Gravel I could use some guidance.

I have 1 sponge filter laying around, I don't know whether that would suffice.

Should I plop them in straight NYC tap water after it was treated with new gravel or should I use some water/gravel from tanks with already established bacterial colonies?

I have 4 days before they arrive

Thanks

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 03-01-2013 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Don't use images you don't own
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 05:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I thought I saw a thread yesterday about something and you not knowing your parameters... this sounds like a repeat of my failure. Not to burst your bubble, but... I can say this isn't going to turn out well.

- Brian
That one guy that is always online.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcarbrey View Post
At this point you're kinda facing a no win scenario. Putting these shrimp into a non cycled tank will likely result in a large number of fatalities that could have been avoided, you're going to want to cycle whichever tank you decide to use before you put anything in it, and whether or not your water straight from the tap is appropriate for them is determined by what water they were raised in.
As a side note: please tell me you didn't buy from maxbear
Also I could just use water/gravel from a cycled tank, no?
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 05:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by evgeney96 View Post
Also I could just use water/gravel from a cycled tank, no?
That will speed up a cycle (the gravel will, water does nothing), there is no instant cycle though. And with animals as sensitive as shrimp scenarios like this are exactly what you try to avoid
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 05:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This might be long... but, your going to probably need to read it. Why didn't you just start off with 1-10 first though...?
First of all, putting CRS into an uncycled tank is setup for failure... so many things can go wrong. The 100 shrimp won't have enough biofilm. CRS actually don't do well in inert substrates, they need a buffering substrate that takes the pH down to 6.0-6.8 . Even doing the things to help "speed up the cycle" won't help as much as it needs to. NYC tap is pretty had as I've heard, so your DEFINETLY going to need a buffering substrate, but your CRS "might be hardy".
Second thing, CRS can NO WAY be plopped into a tank like that. I don't want to scratch everything, but this isn't going to end well, and I don't want you to be disappointed when they start... well... kneeling down to the gravel. Best of luck. Your going to have to provide us more information though. In 4 four days, the most you can do is SETUP the tank right NOW! Get some ADA soil or something. Just research up some ways to get the cycle to quicken up.

- Brian
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 05:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I have proven many wrong, your doubt does not concern me.
stick to relevant posts
You have proven many wrong, but by all means... this isn't going to end well for the shrimp, for an inexperienced keeper...
But if you really want to try, go ahead. Just take what I said into mind.

- Brian
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinection View Post
This might be long... but, your going to probably need to read it. Why didn't you just start off with 1-10 first though...?
First of all, putting CRS into an uncycled tank is setup for failure... so many things can go wrong. The 100 shrimp won't have enough biofilm. CRS actually don't do well in inert substrates, they need a buffering substrate that takes the pH down to 6.0-6.8 . Even doing the things to help "speed up the cycle" won't help as much as it needs to. NYC tap is pretty had as I've heard, so your DEFINETLY going to need a buffering substrate, but your CRS "might be hardy".
Second thing, CRS can NO WAY be plopped into a tank like that. I don't want to scratch everything, but this isn't going to end well, and I don't want you to be disappointed when they start... well... kneeling down to the gravel. Best of luck. Your going to have to provide us more information though. In 4 four days, the most you can do is SETUP the tank right NOW! Get some ADA soil or something. Just research up some ways to get the cycle to quicken up.
I have two cycled tanks sitting so I'm not in a state of panic, I was only hoping for a clean set up with a nice set of new gravel.
Ill get on it tomorrow, Ill probable leave a bed of cycled gravel and drop a new layer on top.. I have a few specimens I can put in to help speed up the cycle.
Thank you for the informative post
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 05:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I didn't like the idea of international shipping, I paid substantially more but a local seller secured a bundle for me and will forward them to me as soon as they arrive
Ask him to hold them for a week if they're coming via international/long distance shipping that way any weak shrimp will die without you paying for it.

Go buy 2-3 bags of ADA Amazonia and start cycling your tank, you may also want to consider getting an RO unit depending on the size of your tank. RO water + ADA Amazonia = perfect shrimp conditions once cycled
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 05:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just bought 100 bee shrimp, Help prepping tank

Quote:
I have proven many wrong, your doubt does not concern me.
stick to relevant posts
That's a lot of attitude Towards someone trying to help you when you don't have any idea what you're doing.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 05:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddlesAqua View Post
That's a lot of attitude Towards someone trying to help you when you don't have any idea what you're doing.
It's fine, my sister gives me just as much attitude. :P
It's a daily thing when you have a sister.
And as the other member said, (forgot your Name/ on iPod)
you should invest in a RO unit, but getting some Amazonia/ leeching out all the ammonia most the best important thing right now. Unfortunately, that's going to take at least 2 weeks. (Facts like you said)

- Brian
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Ask him to hold them for a week if they're coming via international/long distance shipping that way any weak shrimp will die without you paying for it.

Go buy 2-3 bags of ADA Amazonia and start cycling your tank, you may also want to consider getting an RO unit depending on the size of your tank. RO water + ADA Amazonia = perfect shrimp conditions once cycled
Thanks Ill do just that, What size tank would be best suitable?
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 06:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Bigger is always better because of stable parameters. But, if you do go the active substrate route its going to cost you a painful amount of $$$ imo (but then again you did just buy 100 CRS lol).

So the choice is yours! 30 or 55 (30 is personally the minimum I would go for breeding purposes).
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 06:25 AM
Algae Grower

what are the parameters of your cycled tanks?

I too would recommended using ADA Amazonia but in this situation it won't work for you as leeches ammonia for the first while and will take at least 4-6 weeks or longer to properly cycle.

This is what i would do if someone was to drop 100 shrimps on me and i only have 4 days to set something up to house them from scratch - not saying it would work but ...

Substrate: Ideally Akadama if you can find some. if not get some ADA Africana
Add old sea mud power, bacteria (Mosura Bt-9, Bee Max) and fluvic acid powder (Ebi-ken Sosei) as per many of the set up guides out there to the substrate.

Water: use 100% R/O remineralize with Mosura mineral plus or Bee Shrimp GH+ to get the GH to around 4-5.

The substrate + RO water should get your pH to around 6.0 - 6.8. If you use Africana it should be lower.

Filter: use one of your filter from an existing tank - preferably a canister filter with large capacity of cycled biological media - the bigger the better, turn down the flow if needed. Be sure to put a sponge or some type of prefilter around the intake to prevent it from sucking up your shrimps

Air pump & large air stone(s) - you will need it when the shrimps arrive

Temperature - set your heater to keep it fairly low, ideally around 72 F, make sure it doesn't fluctuate much through the day and night.. and no higher than 76 F. adding cooling if need if it stay higher than that unheated

Dose the bacteria daily per the instructions on the package - believe it is double dosage for BT-9 for new tanks setups.

For plants get a bunch of moss (java, xmas, etc and a decent light preferably something like LED that doesn't heat up the tank too much. add some ramhorn snails or similar

Test your parameters a day b4 the shrimp arrived and adjust as needed.

Remember to drip acclimatize the shrimps when they arrive and feel them sparsely for the first while until your tank.

good luck!
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 06:37 AM
Algae Grower

Forgot to say add some mineral stones - won't help with the prep but you should have some anyways.

Adding something like purigen or those ammonia absorbing balls (benibachi or ebiken) won't hurt either.

I mention a lot of products, but if i was in your shoes I would be pulling out all the stops to get this thing up and running and ready for those shrimps.. alternatively i would see if i have a friend with a cycled shrimp tank to temporarily house them while my tank cycles :p
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 07:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

ADA takes 4-8 weeks to leech ammonia, asking them to hold a week isn't going to do anything except put the shrimp into a 4ppm ammonia tank.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode