Naming Shrimp: Bee or Bumble Bee? - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New York State
Posts: 33
Naming Shrimp: Bee or Bumble Bee?

I have heard the common Bee Shrimp referred to as the Bee Shrimp, Bumble Bee Shrimp, and the Crystal Black Shrimp. I know that many websites and hobbyists use the terms together, and I am wondering which is the correct name. Perhaps Bumble Bee Shrimp is the full name, and people shortened that to Bee Shrimp? Perhaps due to the popularity of CRS, people decided to just call them CBS because of their similarity? Or perhaps these terms all interchangeable and are at the preference of the speaker? Thanks.
shadowaquatics is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 01:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
GeToChKn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,116
You forgot red or black diamond too. lol. I believe the name "Crystal Red Shrimp" was copyrighted in Japan by the original breeder, so other names came out to avoid that, although I don't think he cares anymore.

I like CRS/CBS because you know exactly what shrimp. Bumble bee can refer to a different shrimp, bee shrimp could be princess bee, wild bee, or other shrimp.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New York State
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
You forgot red or black diamond too. lol. I believe the name "Crystal Red Shrimp" was copyrighted in Japan by the original breeder, so other names came out to avoid that, although I don't think he cares anymore.

I like CRS/CBS because you know exactly what shrimp. Bumble bee can refer to a different shrimp, bee shrimp could be princess bee, wild bee, or other shrimp.
I would think that Bumble Bee Shrimp would work the same as the Crystal idea. Red Bumble Bee Shrimp would refer to CRS, while regular Bumble Bee Shrimp would refer to CBS. You would just substitute a color/type before the term Bumble Bee, as long as the shrimp is indeed of the Bumble Bee family.
shadowaquatics is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
GeToChKn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowaquatics View Post
I would think that Bumble Bee Shrimp would work the same as the Crystal idea. Red Bumble Bee Shrimp would refer to CRS, while regular Bumble Bee Shrimp would refer to CBS. You would just substitute a color/type before the term Bumble Bee, as long as the shrimp is indeed of the Bumble Bee family.
Bumble Bee is already taken though, it's Caridina trifasciata, a whole different sub-branch than CRS/CBS even are, as CRS/CBS are Caridina cantonensis

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 03:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 732
I've never even heard of Caridina trifasciata before. Are they unpopular for a reason?
Puddles is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 03:52 AM
These pants? are fancy.
 
mordalphus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 7,997
I thought bumblebee was breviata
mordalphus is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 03:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
GeToChKn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,116
I dunno Liam, that was the most common search I found for bumble bee.

puddles, want to see a bunch you've never seen that all almost look like crystals.

http://www.caridea.org/groupe-serrata.html Scroll down and look at the left hand side.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 04:02 AM
These pants? are fancy.
 
mordalphus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 7,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
I dunno Liam, that was the most common search I found for bumble bee.

puddles, want to see a bunch you've never seen that all almost look like crystals.

http://www.caridea.org/groupe-serrata.html Scroll down and look at the left hand side.

Look at the link you posted under breviata, lol
mordalphus is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 04:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
I dunno Liam, that was the most common search I found for bumble bee.

puddles, want to see a bunch you've never seen that all almost look like crystals.

http://www.caridea.org/groupe-serrata.html Scroll down and look at the left hand side.

Crazy. I had no idea there were species like that. Still curious why some species become popular and some are left to waste away as pictures on some website.
Puddles is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 04:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
GeToChKn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
Look at the link you posted under breviata, lol
I know, there it lists them as that and other sites don't. So many names. lol.

Either way, OP, Bumble Bee is taken by another shrimp already and shouldn't be used for CRS/CBS.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 09:35 PM
These pants? are fancy.
 
mordalphus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 7,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddlesAqua View Post
Crazy. I had no idea there were species like that. Still curious why some species become popular and some are left to waste away as pictures on some website.
I have a tank for breviata, not sure how they're doing though since the tank is full of moss.
mordalphus is offline  
Reply

Tags
bee shrimp, bumble bee shrimp, cbs, crs, shrimp

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome