The Planted Tank Forum banner

Akadama?

1K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  flowerfishs 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi, been browsing the forums for a bit and had a question. What type of Akadama do you use in a shrimp tank? Double Red Line is the best, I've read, but that's not readily available. Would this kind work?

http://www.easternleaf.com/Akadama_p/113370-01.htm

Or would this package be better?

#3 ·
Is it difficult because it doesn't buffer for long, or for another reason(s)? The other soil I have been looking at is Fluval shrimp stratum. It has mixed reviews but I think it will buffer well since I'll be using remineralized RO water.

#4 ·
I don't recommend Fluval Shrimp stratum either. I had very low survival with baby CRS using that soil. I know others have had the same problem. The only soil that almost everyone consistently has success with is Amazonia.

The Akadama is difficult because it really pulls minerals out of the water, and does so for some time. You have to really know what you are doing to make sure that your shrimp have enough minerals. ADA New Amazonia is just MUCH easier to get right.

#9 ·
Nine litres is a lot of material. And it's $30 - in some cases cheaper than Fluval Shrimp Stratum. Being able to do an entire 20 long for $60 is well worth it.

It'd cost nearly as much to use Eco-Complete, depending upon your source, and way more to use something like Azoo, UP Aqua or Mr. Aqua active substrates.

#7 ·
ive had really good luck with fss, its been a year now and just starting to break down and still takes my tap (ph of 7.4) down to about 6-6.5 depending on the tank (one has deeper substrate) and my crs have done quite well for me on it. same ones you sent me what a year and half ago i think lex.

#12 ·
My GH, KH, and pH always looked good with Double Red Line, but the shrimp were missing something crucial because their babies did not survive very well. At the same time, my Amazonia tanks were exploding with babies...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.