Those using a Toms Rapid Mini Canister filter - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Those using a Toms Rapid Mini Canister filter

Some questions. I just got one of these and have already spent some time modifying it. Replaced the crappy black hoses with Eheim hoses, and am replacing the spray bar with the one that came with my Eheim 2213 (since I have a custom spray bar on that). I have not tested it yet because I'm waiting for sealant to dry on the new spray bar so I figure while I wait I'd ask about the filter media folks use in it. It comes with the ceramic rings which I plan on keeping but on the side with the carbon bag, could I use purigen on that side instead? Can't imagine why I couldn't just wanted to ask. For those that have modified theirs, what media are you using? And lastly, it doesn't have a flow control however, I've modified two things...the spray bar, which will be longer, and I have a custom stainless steel filter screen in place of the one that came with it. I have to wait to get sponges in that fit it...ordered the wrong thing. So any suggestions on how to further cut back flow if I need to? It's going on a 3 gallon tank. While I wait on the sponges I was thinking of using the screen and wrapping filter floss around that and tying with fishing line. Do you think this will help cut the flow back (along with the longer spray bar)? Or should I invest in some sort of part to attach to the outtake line to control the flow? Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Shouldn't this be in the equipment subforum?

Anyways, to decrease the flow, I removed the outtake tube inside the media chamber and cut a piece of Aquaclear sponge to fit into the media basket over some more bio media.

RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Since this is going in a shrimp only tank I wanted it in this section. Sorry should have mentioned that. And thanks for tip on slowing the flow down.
post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 01:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

Modification is called Eheim 2211.I have one Tom filter .Open it, saw all problems. Put it back in to the box and bought 2213. Now it is waiting for somebody ready to pay $10-20 for shipping, box and fuel.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by plamski View Post
Modification is called Eheim 2211.I have one Tom filter .Open it, saw all problems. Put it back in to the box and bought 2213. Now it is waiting for somebody ready to pay $10-20 for shipping, box and fuel.

Thanks for playing. It's for a 3 GALLON TANK, I'm not putting a dang Eheim 2213 on a 3 gallon using it at half or a third power. Ridiculous waste of money for a 3 gallon tank. I have one on a 12G already. I've already done the modifications on this mini, just needed to check on flow regulation and the purigen question. That's it. I have no doubt I can get it to work beautifully for my setup, just had those two questions and if folks had suggestions as far as media I was all ears. I would rather put some Seachem Matrix in it but that might come later down the road.
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 03:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

I would replace carbon with purigen-will keep water in track for months which is very good for small tank.Ring probably should be replaced with Seachem matrix or eheim pro bioballs.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

That's sort of what I was thinking on both as well. Thank you!!
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 04:48 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm thinking of adding one to my 20long shrimp tank, and plan on running one side with Matrix and the other with Purigen.

From what I have read, the pump isn't that strong on these filters, so if you want to decrease flow, you can increase your tubing length, or lower the canister to make it push "uphill" more than it would just hanging on the tank.

I have to ask, does the regular tubing fit nicely into the filter? I plan on putting the in and out at opposite ends of the tank, and I don't believe the stock tubing will reach that far.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 05:03 AM
Algae Grower

Drill bigger holes in the spraybar.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelldweller View Post
Drill bigger holes in the spraybar.

That's one of the things I'm going to do if I need to. The spraybar that came with it was like, 5 inches or so...the one I've replaced it with is 12" so I'm hoping the extra length alone will get it just about perfect.

I just keep reading reviews that it was too powerful for smaller tanks so just trying to prepare. Hope to have it hooked up today.
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgonedaddy View Post
I'm thinking of adding one to my 20long shrimp tank, and plan on running one side with Matrix and the other with Purigen.

From what I have read, the pump isn't that strong on these filters, so if you want to decrease flow, you can increase your tubing length, or lower the canister to make it push "uphill" more than it would just hanging on the tank.

I have to ask, does the regular tubing fit nicely into the filter? I plan on putting the in and out at opposite ends of the tank, and I don't believe the stock tubing will reach that far.

The regular tubing fits onto it pretty well, it's just thin and cheap looking. It's probably not going to be long enough for a 20G but it would be easy enough to replace the tubing. HOWEVER, I replaced my tubing with tubing I got with my Eheim that I had left over. The problem was that tubing walls were so thick that even though it fit down onto the filter, the little things that you turn to go up over the tubing to lock it onto the filter, well, they wouldn't fit over the thick walls of the tubing. So what I did was cut the non-corrugated ends off of the tubing that came with it and put my hose over that. That way I could still get it connected but use my better tubing. It's a super snug fit so hopefully it will work. Once I get it running, I'll get a photo of it. Going to run the media that came with it and get the right sponge filter ordered along with some purigen and change everything out once it gets here. Hope this durn thing works since I cut everything up before testing it (yes, jumped the gun).
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 01:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
The regular tubing fits onto it pretty well, it's just thin and cheap looking. It's probably not going to be long enough for a 20G but it would be easy enough to replace the tubing. HOWEVER, I replaced my tubing with tubing I got with my Eheim that I had left over. The problem was that tubing walls were so thick that even though it fit down onto the filter, the little things that you turn to go up over the tubing to lock it onto the filter, well, they wouldn't fit over the thick walls of the tubing. So what I did was cut the non-corrugated ends off of the tubing that came with it and put my hose over that. That way I could still get it connected but use my better tubing. It's a super snug fit so hopefully it will work. Once I get it running, I'll get a photo of it. Going to run the media that came with it and get the right sponge filter ordered along with some purigen and change everything out once it gets here. Hope this durn thing works since I cut everything up before testing it (yes, jumped the gun).
Thanks for the info Jaime.
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I sometimes suck at explaining things so I hope it made sense. I'll get a pic this afternoon though just so you can see how I run mine. The thing is super easy to modify though which I REALLY like
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 02:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'd be interested in seeing that, too.

RAOK Club and BBRR Club! My thinking has been invert-ed!
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 02:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
I sometimes suck at explaining things so I hope it made sense. I'll get a pic this afternoon though just so you can see how I run mine. The thing is super easy to modify though which I REALLY like

I'm pretty sure I know what you mean, but a pic is always good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode