am i ready to have CBS? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 10:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Mine (S&SS CRS & CBS) breed like guppies at a pH of 7. My KH stays between 1-2, GH 5-6. Temp 71-76. Heavily planted, in fluorite. I just sold my colony down from about 300 shrimp. I use RO and am about as unconventional in my method of adding back minerals as they get. Some sea salt, liquid calcium chloride and a touch of flourish. Acclimation, maintaining a consistent environment and minimizing bacterial pathogens while providing a nourishing food source is what I would say is key. I even have one I think might be a wine shrimp that was born in my tank.

As to the pH of 8, there is a subset of breeders that argue for alkaline water in breeding these shrimp. They feel that one of the reasons some breeders stock is so sensitive to pathogens is that the acidic water pits the shells and allows entry by bacteria. I don't see the point in constantly buffering my tank one way or another if they are thriving at the point that the tank naturally wants to sit, but this is by far not the first I have heard of high pH breeding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 12:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyShrimpDoc View Post
Mine (S&SS CRS & CBS) breed like guppies at a pH of 7. My KH stays between 1-2, GH 5-6. Temp 71-76. Heavily planted, in fluorite. I just sold my colony down from about 300 shrimp. I use RO and am about as unconventional in my method of adding back minerals as they get. Some sea salt, liquid calcium chloride and a touch of flourish. Acclimation, maintaining a consistent environment and minimizing bacterial pathogens while providing a nourishing food source is what I would say is key. I even have one I think might be a wine shrimp that was born in my tank.

As to the pH of 8, there is a subset of breeders that argue for alkaline water in breeding these shrimp. They feel that one of the reasons some breeders stock is so sensitive to pathogens is that the acidic water pits the shells and allows entry by bacteria. I don't see the point in constantly buffering my tank one way or another if they are thriving at the point that the tank naturally wants to sit, but this is by far not the first I have heard of high pH breeding.
I have good breeding too with 7pH/5gH/0kH/Hamburg Matten filter and that's about it. I think the mineral count/gH/kH/TDS is more important the pH, but usually a 8pH comes with a higher kH/gH, so it's harder to get a high pH, low mineral water, although it does happen.

For beginners keeping CRS, I think the buffering substrate is easy because it adjusts the water for you and using RO water with an all in one mineral solution is best.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 01:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

So I guess the answer to the real question has more to do with having an available tank that you can tweak the setup in so that it is good for them. exercise patience and learn as much as you can about the species before setting the tank up. Pick a substrate that will yeild the pH and TDS that you desire to try. Buffering a tank far from the substrate's normal trend leads to swings, which can be deadly (not to mention a lot of work and possibly expensive).

I do agree they are very different than breeding cherries. But I don't think there is a clear answer that anyone can give you on wether or not you are ready. I would start with a small batch of locally available or low grade shrimp and see how that goes. Don't be suprised to lose a few or even the entire first batch. The tank MUST be cycled. They don't tolerate ammonia well at all. You also need to consider the ambient room temperature in the summer. The tank should be kept at 76 or under. I try to keep mine between 72 and 76, though right now its at 70 (heater is being goofy). It's easier to heat a tank than cool it. I have given several batches if CRS to my mom in Florida, they live through the winter and die in the summer. I think she has finally come to the realization that its either run the AC at a lower temp or stick to cherry shrimp. Think about the way you personally set the AC. I am in a good climate for them.
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

wow... thank you for all the awesome advice!

and my tank is cycled. my PH is about 7.5 and nitrate is between 10ppm to 20ppm..
i was thinking of mixing them in with my RCS. so idk if can put in a buffering substrate in there at all since i do have a pool filter sand.
also i do not know my KH/GH...
my tank uses a good heater that automatically heats on and off when i need it to. so it stays on the same temp day and night .

my questions are what is an RO?....
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

as far as trying to buy CRS or CBS locally i dont think anyone sells them here so i will be buying a small batch online
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 06:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

am i ready to have CBS?

Paulcm10. I had 7.5 ph ish water in a 10g I added about 2kg of fluval stratum. And a price of driftwood and the ph was down to 6.5 a few hours later. The TDS however did rise. I'm going to try doing 50% RO next week when over the shrimp an are how they do Might be something to try
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 04:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

RO is reverse osmosis. Its a form of filtration. You can usually buy pre filtered RO water from some fish stores. Alternately a portable system goes for under $100 on eBay. In house systems are pretty expensive.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
also i do not know my KH/GH
I keep CBS and Yellow Neos together with no problem and my CBS colony is growing nicely with a PH of 7.4. The above quote is what you need to worry about. Get yourself a GH and KH test kit, then you'll know where you stand as far as raising CRS. I thought CBS would be far harder to raise than what they have turned out to be. This is of course just my opinion and its worth about as much as the white space its typed onto.
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 05:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You can buy RO water at Walmart or Grocery stores for under $1 a gallon
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 06:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
You can buy RO water at Walmart or Grocery stores for under $1 a gallon
Most dispensers are 2$ for 5 G
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 08:35 PM
Planted Member

Is this just a NJ thing but I have not seen a RO water dispenser in any store. As a matter of fact I have seen RO bottled water.
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I do have Driftwood in my tank, some cholla wood, and indian almond leaves. i think that should help a bit to make my PH go down.

also the KH/GH test kit... what brand is a good brand? I'm assuming the test strips won't be accurate. i have an api master test kit but that doesn't do kh/gh..

RO water at walmart? where do i find that at? cause i don't think i have seen any when i go to the grocery store.
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 09:42 PM
CPD
Planted Tank Obsessed

am i ready to have CBS?

The big blue jugs at the front of the grocery store are distilled water that are good for tanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 09:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Opae Ula Crazed.

Re: am i ready to have CBS?

Ken. I used to be able to purchase RO water by the gallon jug at the local grocery. They switched over to distilled, which works perfectly!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode