CRS and Golden shimplet question... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

CRS and Golden shimplet question...

If I recall from my last batch of CRS babies a few months ago, shrimplets are born looking just like the parents...as in, red and white striped little candy cane babies. Is this across the board for all CRS and CBS despite grade? That the babies will be born striped, I mean the second they hit the substrate? And then secondly are Golden babies born white despite the grade they will become? If not, what colors are they generally born?

I'm playing a game of who's the daddy right now on a batch of shrimplets being born and I'm trying not to get to excited....yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 08:12 PM
Wanabe BKK Herder

Mine tend to stay pretty much as they are born (red and white or black and white).
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Maniac View Post
Mine tend to stay pretty much as they are born (red and white or black and white).
Thanks but that's not what I'm asking. I'm asking are they striped the SECOND they are born despite the grade (A grade S, grade, SS grade, etc) or do they become striped, say, 24 hours later? With Goldens I know they can lose color with age so that leads me to believe the babies are always born white, but I don't have any experience with golden shrimplets currently but I have goldens in the tank.

I'm just looking for what colors they are born. Right now I have a super nice SS grade CRS that just had her first shrimplet (she's still holding all the other eggs) and this shrimp is not striped and is a pale red throughout his whole body from what I can see right now. He's turned in such a position that I can't get a straight on view from his side. Unless a CRS, CBS or Golden can be born red with no striping that leaves one other male in the tank that could be the daddy of these shrimplets...and that's what I'm trying to figure out and hoping for. This is just the first one born though, hopefully throughout the day she'll have more so I can get a better look.

ETA: shrimplet is turned to the side now, definitely a pale red uniform throughout, no striping noted.
post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

When first first first born, CRS and CBS, I find anyways, don't have a lot of white usually. The red pattern they will have is usually there, whether it's A grade or SS grade, the pattern is set. It's hard to see on a newborn, especially with no white contrast to see. The white comes quick though, even within the first few hours to first few weeks.

Golden/snow usually look white and clear stripped.

This is a few hour old baby that you can see a bit of the white.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

That's interesting Geto, that baby you posted looks like my tibee babies (which have no CRS or Goldens in the genetics that I'm aware of).

I'll keep an eye out for pattern. I have a suspected red bolt in that tank that others think is possibly a low grade golden....but he has quite the Taiwan Bee shaped head...and his whole body shape looks totally different from every CRS, CBS, and Golden in the tank (as well as the female he came with that is also an unknown at this time). Until I do some selective breeding it will be hard to determine his genetics...unless he is the daddy on one of the 3 berried females I have in there .
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 08:58 PM
Wanabe BKK Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
Thanks but that's not what I'm asking. I'm asking are they striped the SECOND they are born despite the grade (A grade S, grade, SS grade, etc) or do they become striped, say, 24 hours later?
Sorry. Didn't get that that was your question. Mine always appear to have at least the vague hint of stripes, but I've never seen them hatch, so I can't say they do from the SECOND they are born.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 09:07 PM
ShrimpRetirement

The only CRS that will never breed out snows/goldens are PRLs and PBLs. Otherwise, it's fair game that if you have a regular CRS/CBS, it'll spit out random snows/goldens.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
The only CRS that will never breed out snows/goldens are PRLs and PBLs. Otherwise, it's fair game that if you have a regular CRS/CBS, it'll spit out random snows/goldens.

I realize that This shrimplet doesn't look like a CRS, CBS or Golden. Unless a Golden can be born looking like the color of a few week old Painted Fire Red...translucent red throughout And no, there aren't any neos in this tank The debate is if the male 'unknown' in my tank is actually carrying the red bolt genes. Because if this baby isn't a CRS, CBS or Golden then in theory has has to be that this batch of babies might be out of the 'unknown' shrimp. She's still only had just the one so far. Hoping the mystery will be solved once the whole batch is born.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 09:52 PM
ShrimpRetirement

Give it 3-4 weeks, then check out the color again to be certain what it's going to become. By that time, you should be able to see the real color of the shrimp. Baby Caridina cantonensis shrimp don't normally stick to the color they were born with in most variants.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 10:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

In order to get a TB, both the male and female must carry the TB gene.
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 10:32 PM
These pants? are fancy.

And red bolt looks like a golden when born.

Golden when born is either white, yellow or yellowish red.

Some s grade appear all red but develop white pattern later.
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the help folks! Will keep an eye out for the rest of the batch and see what comes of it
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortFin View Post
In order to get a TB, both the male and female must carry the TB gene.

So say I have a BKK breed with a CRS....are mischlings not considered TB hybrids? Because I'm pretty sure they are. Or would the result be called something different entirely? I never said these babies were TBs, I said they may be out of a suspected TB. Which would make them mischlings, right? Or am I confused somewhere? Would all mischlings look completely like low grade CRS or CBS or could they look differently?That may be what you are getting at.
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 11:03 PM
These pants? are fancy.

Mischlings look entirely like a normal crs or cbs.

You cannot tell the difference between a normal crs and a mischling
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
Mischlings look entirely like a normal crs or cbs.

You cannot tell the difference between a normal crs and a mischling
I'd always read they look like low grade CRS and CBS...not questioning you Liam, questioning the information I've read. Even the pictures I've seen on auction the white looks like crap.

Which of course makes ya have to wonder do you have mischlings or CRS/CBS? That's just a general question, not directed at anyone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode