Planted Tank Guru

Picture of baby in question

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarbee54 View Post
I think the red bolt you are inrefernce is probably a low grade Snow white. From the first time you posted pictures. Not to question you but the chance of getting those out of the stock we have state side, is extremely slim to none
I have comparison photos if him side by side with others and even if he's not a bolt I'm almost positive he's not a golden. Unless a golden can have the big fat Taiwan bee heads. Same goes for the female I have. If my power decides to stay on tonight ill post them
post #33 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 02:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Looks like a golden baby. I've seen lots of mine look orange at birth and those ones usually turn out to be a lower grade golden. I have a few that are already bone white right now, so they may turn out to be a higher grade snow white.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
post #34 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Picture of male in question. Now I'm not well versed in TBs but the head shape on these two is apples vs oranges on the CRS/CBS/Goldens in the tank. These aren't color corrected these were taken specifically to show the body and head difference.

Female that came from the same breeder is to the left behind the CRS and in front of the CBS. Male is to the right and blurry. Her head shape stands out like a sore thumb to me. Again, maybe Goldens can get the TB shaped head, I'm only used to seeing it with TBs. But what do I know? Not much when it comes to TBs

post #35 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
Looks like a golden baby. I've seen lots of mine look orange at birth and those ones usually turn out to be a lower grade golden. I have a few that are already bone white right now, so they may turn out to be a higher grade snow white.

He's not orange, that's Iphone pic with crappy lightbulb above the tank, didn't have time to color correct before my power went out. He's red...does have an orange tint to the red, but definitely red, not orange.
post #36 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 02:34 AM
These pants? are fancy.

Looks cool, reminds me of dks cheetos
post #37 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 02:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
Looks cool, reminds me of dks cheetos
I was just gonna post that. lol.

They look like a golden to me. I've had some bone white and some very orangy-red looking.

Red bolts are rather rare. The odd's that a seller gave you a bunch of them instead of just golden's, is pretty rare and slim chance.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
post #38 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
I was just gonna post that. lol.

They look like a golden to me. I've had some bone white and some very orangy-red looking.

Red bolts are rather rare. The odd's that a seller gave you a bunch of them instead of just golden's, is pretty rare and slim chance.

Gosh at the assumptions These weren't sold to me, I am 'boarding' them for a friend so to speak. And they were not sold as Goldens, they were sold as pretty much 'unknowns' from a reputable breeder. And only the two were sold because they were so different from everything in the tank. It wasn't like these came in a batch of goldens and I'm pulling ideas out of my rear here And since I posted the photos weren't color corrected the colors you are seeing are not accurate, they were posted based on shape ONLY.

At any rate, thanks for the help everyone. I guess time will tell what these babies wind up looking like. And selective breeding will tell what these unknown shrimp truly are that are in question
post #39 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 03:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
Gosh at the assumptions These weren't sold to me, I am 'boarding' them for a friend so to speak. And they were not sold as Goldens, they were sold as pretty much 'unknowns' from a reputable breeder. And only the two were sold because they were so different from everything in the tank. It wasn't like these came in a batch of goldens and I'm pulling ideas out of my rear here And since I posted the photos weren't color corrected the colors you are seeing are not accurate, they were posted based on shape ONLY.

At any rate, thanks for the help everyone. I guess time will tell what these babies wind up looking like. And selective breeding will tell what these unknown shrimp truly are that are in question

Sorry, wasn't trying to assum-y. lol. That baby does look like golden babies I've had in my tanks. It could be from anything from the more red-orangy looking goldens, the snow white goldens, or 2 SS CRS, a CBS and CRS, they'll all throw out goldens.

This was one of my more red-orangy looking goldens.

Not as much red on the head

Slightly orangish berried momma

Bone white

All came from other goldens or crystal red/black in my tanks.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
post #40 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

GeTo, in post #4 you said Goldens are born white or clear striped. So just to clarify, now you're saying they can be born white, clear striped, red, or orange? I'm really not trying to be a smart alec just getting conflicting info.

Your berried momma picture is about the only thing that looks similar to these two. Still not seeing the huge head difference shape like the ones in my tank right now, but I'm sure every shrimp is different.

I'm not trying convince myself these are something they are not, I'm just seeing differences apparently nobody else is. Nothing will be able to tell the genetics until I do the selective breeding so no point in going round and round about what they are or what they aren't, I've got a couple of shrimp to breed them to that should tell me without a doubt what they are. I hope.
post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 03:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

This is what Liam was referring too when he said DK's cheeto shrimp, or papaya as she calls them.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...69#post1838569

She selectively breed them and got that using this one as the main grandaddy.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ya#post1848552

You can see the red bleed into the white and through breeding that CBS to other shrimp, she was able to bring it out.

And I just meant golden babies can look a variety of different ways, but won't have any red or black patterning on them. The pattern is set in genetics and it's there as soon as they are born, even if it's hard to see.

Here's one of DK's babies. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ya#post1855165

I find with baby colors though, until they are a few months old, they can change in just about every shrimp out there beside TB's. All my clear-wild tigers gave birth to orange babies and I thought they were orange tigers (noob) but all grew up into clear with brown or black stripped tigers, no sign of orange. I've had snow whites with blue on the head that grew up into normal snows with no sign of blue and crushed my hopes of spontaneous blue bolts with no TB's in my tank (noob). I've had crystal babies that look like a 1 bar wine red and then grew up into a C grade, and crushed my hopes of of TB in a tank with no TB's (noob). I've culled clear fire red males that 3 molts later turned so bright red they become my best fire red males and had to go back in breeding tank. I don't get excited over babies anymore, they can morph and change their color a lot. lol.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the post! Yes, these look closer to the papayas. Doesn't matter to me really what they are since they aren't my shrimp just trying to make some smart choices when it comes to breeding them. And hard to make smart choices when you aren't 100% sure what they are. LOL!
post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 06:29 AM
The Security Dude

Yeah look like some of my golden babies and more like some of my mischling Snow White babies

55 Planted Rummys,2 GBR,8 Corys,4 Discus PFR Culls
Many shrimp tanks
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...half-done.html
Finnex Pimp #8
post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Ok, all the babies from this batch are born. So far I've been able to count 16...of the 16 all of them showed white striping when they were born except for at least 3...maybe more. And all of them, solid or striped have red eyes though I'm sure that will change with time. Couple more photos, Iphone pics, no flash

post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's hard to tell from aquabid, but what is the going rate for TBs, such as BKK, red wine, bolts, etc?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode