The Planted Tank Forum banner

My 12 gallon tibee tank! A journal of sorts...new pics 11/6/13!

13K views 73 replies 21 participants last post by  hellfish01 
#1 · (Edited)
Wish I could take credit for these but I can't. Picked these up from msjinkzd and got them in a week ago today. A couple of my favs aren't pictured because they were hiding on the sponge filter and I couldn't get a decent shot. They have vibrant white stripes...hopefully I can get pics this weekend to add to the thread. But here are a couple of males and couple of females. One of these females is a bright teal...and there is a matching male in there as well though he didn't get photographed. The other berried female is a dark royal blue...I had hoped they'd get side by side for a shot but it didn't happen. Anywho, I'm so excited about these I can't stand it. They are as blue as my OEBTs. These are crosses between Super Tigers and Wild Bees. They are housed with CRS, CBS, and OEBTs for now. Will be adding Goldens, TT and mischlings in the next couple of months, possibly more:) I hope to have a fun breeding project going! Thanks for letting me share:)

Attachments

See less See more
#12 ·
You're correct about the blue bees. I have some,, they're beautiful shrimp, and tiny compared to crystals and tigers.

Are there blue crystals out there?

Blue bees are paracaridina and I was under the impression that could not crossbreed. These are wild bees x super tigers, no blue bees AFAIK.

If I am misinformed about the blue bees, by all means, somebody let me know:)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

#13 ·
Thank you! I generally suck at getting pics of these guys so I was tickled something actually came out somewhat in focus. The pH in that tank sits at 6.7-6.8, GH 5, KH 0-1. The CRS that are in there came from my other tank that ranged anywhere from 7.4-8.2. I had put them in a 6.5pH tank with a bunch of other CRS I had gotten in and they started losing white FAST and became very sluggish. The new ones (higher grades) loved the pH, just not these. I gave them 2-3 weeks to perk up but they never did. They just didn't seem to like that low pH. I put them in this tank with a slightly higher pH and their white came back and they just seemed happier in general. I'd like to have that pH sit right on 6.8 as that would make everyone happy I think. When I had the larger colony of OEBTs that's what they were doing best in and what they bred in., One of the ones I have left over is one that had berried, and I have one of her babies in there as well.

I'm just blown away how much blue are in a couple of these. And one of them has orange eyes...not glowy orange like an OEBT, but orange nonetheless. I haven't done the research on where exactly the OEBTs came from/developed from but a few of these I have to do a double take when I look at them and when I'm looking for my OEBTs. I don't know what generation tibees these are, but all of them look a little different from each other. A few are plainer, a few have the white stripes on the back, and then a few are these gorgeous blues. Anxiously awaiting the babies so I can see what those look like:) Since I only have 3 OEBTs right now, and two are females (only hope for male is the baby who is a few months away from being adult), I feel like these blue tibees still give me a chance to get some cool blue babies. And if I can do that and avoid the sensitive OEBTs I may go that route. But man, I DO love my OEBTs. Ahhh, it's a pickle I tell ya! LOL!

#14 ·
Just saw my first little tibee baby wandering the tank! YAY! The momma still has most of her eggs so it looks like this little fella is the first to fly the coop. And he's already out and about and eating. He be strong like bull. LOL! The plainer momma of the 3 is the first to have hers. The teal and dark blue are still holding on to theirs and have a week or more to go if I had to guess. I'm thinking of starting a tank journal on both tanks since they will have just a hodge podge of different shrimp in them. Be a nice way to track things I reckon:)

#16 ·
They ARE mutts:hihi: I used to not like them either, didn't think I'd like them still when I got them in, but I love them now. Some are just a vibrant and blue as my OEBTs without the drama:) The little baby I saw looked brown and white so can't wait to see what the others look like. It'll be like Christmas! All a surprise! WOOT:biggrin:

#18 ·
Thought I would update this thread a bit:) Bebeh pictures! Sorry for the quality...still gotta get my equipment out and actually practice...just so much easier to grab the phone.

Ok, first little baby born in the tank...this is him at a day old (and yes he was the only one out and about, took momma two days to have the rest)

Same shrimp at 6 days old, my light is blowing out the contrast on his striping, but trust me, same shrimp

He changes colors every week....here he is now (he's the biggest baby in the tank..strong like bull...haha)

Then I had two more batches born, some are still dark red and white or brown and white, again, they change colors frequently.

Here is a pic of two together, one on the left is from the first batch born, one on the right is from the second batch born...what I wouldn't give for him to stay that color.

A pic of another baby from the second batch as well

And last photo I took yesterday with my camera instead of phone. Couple of tibee females and my OEBT and if you look closely, a baby tibee on the bottom of the pumpkin chip:)

I'm going to make this thread my tibee journal of sorts so I hope I have more updates (and better pics) soon. Thanks for letting me share!

#21 ·
I have so much fun staring at this tank. Babies are just everywhere....no new berried ladies yet so a little bummed about that but as long as the babies are growing big and strong I'm happy. I think they are absolutely beautiful and awesome so a huge thank you for selling them to me!!!:bounce:

#22 ·
My pleasure! I bred them by accident, those are 3rd generation, as an FYI. I have only shared them with people that were really enthusiastic about tibees as I did not create the line at all on purpose. There were some real stunners though, and I am glad you are getting such joy!

#23 ·
Re: My tibee tank! A journal of sorts...

Very cool, Jaime, I'm liking the green that's coming through. :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

#25 ·
Busted out the DSLR to snap some pics today. Little better than the Iphone but still need to work with it.

My dual sponge is covered with babies. Counted 41 babies out in the open the other day so very pleased with those numbers since I can't see the backside of my sponge filters or in all my cholla logs. The blue dude is one from the first batch born 3 weeks ago I believe. The little browner guy is from the last two batches born a couple of weeks ago so a bit younger.

Attachments

#35 ·
I have a sneaking suspicion that I may be begging hubby for more tanks in a few months. I have ideas in my head but have to wait for these babies to get to breeding age. But yes..yes....I may require more tanks:bounce:

I'm so glad some folks like these. Some people find them boring but gosh, not me, the colors of the adults vary from plain to turquoise to dark blue and the babies, well, who knows what they'll look like when they grow up! I've got some that are brown and white, teal and white, blue and white with bluish flesh (they really look different) and then 1 or 2 that are actually clear but just have the white stripes on their backs. Those interest me quite a bit...but pointless to speculate on what they'll look like when they grow up. This is my first rodeo with tibees, I'm just enjoying the ride:hihi:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.