Another experiment to expand the hobby: mixing shrimp - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Another experiment to expand the hobby: mixing shrimp

Hello.

We all want to keep different kinds of shrimp but most of us are limited with space....I really cannot have 10 different tanks set up all over my apartment. With that said, I am taking an opposite approach and mixing everything in one tank to see what comes out eventually. Just yesterday I received Tiger shrimp from GordonRichards which had been kept in 6.5 PH. As per my request, he sent me the smallest shrimp he could find since they would be getting dropped into a tank which houses random bees at 5.3-5.5 PH. I am expecting many of them to die but if only a few survive it will be a success, especially since they'll start breeding with all my other shrimp.

My mix tank currently consists of the following:
1. CRS
2. CBS
3. Goldens
4. Taiwan Bees (Red Ruby)
5. Tigers
6. Crystal White Bee (will be receiving next week).
7. More Taiwan Bees (will get next month)

To some this might look crazy but the hobby has become a bit stagnant for my taste. All my CRS/CBS are breeding out of control so the challenge is no longer there. I cannot even remember the last time I had a shrimp die so the water parameters must be good as well.

Here are some pics of the baby tigers I received yesterday. That's a good ol Solo cup for size comparison. I ordered 10 but Gordon sent extras.

Anybody else mix shrimp?

Shrimp playground:

Last edited by hedge_fund; 01-01-2013 at 04:26 PM. Reason: asdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 04:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

This is exactly what I've started doing too Hedge! I actually find it WAY more exciting to toss a ton of variety in the tank and when they berry it's like Christmas cause sometimes you never know what's going to pop out baby wise.

I've got one tank with CRS, CBS, Goldens, and those weird pink shrimp that we are unsure of. The other tank right now has OEBTs and CRS but I will be getting tibees and CBS this week as well as tossing a couple of goldens in that tank. If everyone settles in I may add even more coolness to the mix in a few months in the way of BTOE and others. Very excited about it though!
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 04:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

I mix CRS and OEBTs. It makes it much easier to take care of the two. Several months ago my OEBTs were in a separate tank and were dying, so I moved them to my CRS tank and poof! They stopped dying. I say go for it
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 05:50 PM
Ebi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

keep us posted! this should be exciting!
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Nice. Glad there are others working on mixing things up.

It's actually way more fun than just trying to breed one specific type. I also plan on buying a chiller to get ready for summer and I will only need one instead of multiples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Need some BB in there for the mix.

My mixed tank at the moment is only crystals but it's everything from C grade to SSS, golden, snow, CRS, CBS. I do have one lonely tiger male in another tank from my Tiger die off I was thinking of sticking in there with them. lol.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have crs, CBS, mischling, bkk, golden and yellow neos in my tank.

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yeh I'll be getting some more Taiwan Bees...might throw some blue bolts into the mix.

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 08:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
Hello.

All my CRS/CBS are breeding out of control so the challenge is no longer there. I cannot even remember the last time I had a shrimp die so the water parameters must be good as well.
If you're thinking of just tossing em away send some over to me! hahaha
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznrice247 View Post
If you're thinking of just tossing em away send some over to me! hahaha
Why would I toss these away? I'm probably going to sell some CRS/CBS culls in the next few weeks but it will be pickup only.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 08:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Nice. Glad there are others working on mixing things up.

It's actually way more fun than just trying to breed one specific type. I also plan on buying a chiller to get ready for summer and I will only need one instead of multiples.

most chillers, even the cheap(er) ones are rated for 60-90 gallons so you have plenty of extra cooling capacity for more tanks lol
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
most chillers, even the cheap(er) ones are rated for 60-90 gallons so you have plenty of extra cooling capacity for more tanks lol
This is true, but, I don't want to explain to every single girl that I bring home about why I have 20 tanks with pipes/connections running all over the place. I am down to 3 tanks and will be down to 2 in the next month or so. I feel that this is an ideal number for an apartment before people start thinking you are a strange person. haha. I'm big into having a nice clean and modern apartment. Once I purchase a house in the next 2 years I'll probably turn the entire basement or garage into a giant shrimp rack.

I will probably be setting up a giant ada discus tank too so I'll need room by getting rid of some of the smaller tanks.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 09:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
This is true, but, I don't want to explain to every single girl that I bring home about why I have 20 tanks with pipes/connections running all over the place. I am down to 3 tanks and will be down to 2 in the next month or so. I feel that this is an ideal number for an apartment before people start thinking you are a strange person. haha. I'm big into having a nice clean and modern apartment. Once I purchase a house in the next 2 years I'll probably turn the entire basement or garage into a giant shrimp rack.

I will probably be setting up a giant ada discus tank too so I'll need room by getting rid of some of the smaller tanks.
Me too, I downsized after having too many tanks in my room that I didn't like the look of all over the place, but I should hopefully be in a position in the next year to buy a new house that I'll be specifically looking for something with a basement or garage or some room to use as a tank room.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 09:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You can get a lot of diversity out of those Taiwan bees. I started with only black king Kong and panda. Now I have the following variety of TBs:

Bkk (and extreme variant)
Panda
Shadow panda
Shadow bkk
Ruby red (and extreme variant)
Wine red
Shadow panda hino
Red wine hino
Blue bolt

There is so much variety in the way TBs look. They are wonderful for providing a lot of different looking shrimp in a single tank. Even the ruby reds have quite a bit of variation in the shade of red.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 10:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Why would I toss these away? I'm probably going to sell some CRS/CBS culls in the next few weeks but it will be pickup only.
usually guys who cull flush em or feed em to their fishes, and you're too far away for LP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode