Experiences with different shrimp in same tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Invert Warrior

Experiences with different shrimp in same tank?

This is more or less at the comparison of my tangerine tigers versus my neocardinia shrimp.

In my tank: 6.5 PH, 5 nitrates, no KH, 5 GH, 225 TDS.

My Tangerine Tigers are like kids in a candy store. They are zooming across the tank like its nobody's business. I love it.

But my neos are just calmly walking where they want to go, swimming only occasionally, but still always grazing.

Is the difference observed in all water parameters?

Is this due to inbreeding of neos?

Perhaps my neos aren't as happy because they're at a lower PH than they'd ideally like?

What are your experiences?

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

*Retired for now*
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 11:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

pH is a bit low but in the pH-neo thread, lots of people had them in that pH or even lower and breeding.

I think it's maybe more the TT's. I've never kept them, but from everyone else's accounts, they are an aggressive shrimp, food wise, breeding wise. Make great cross breeding with other caridina's because they will do it with anything. lol. That could be making the neo's a bit more calm and staying out the way.

Ever been at a party and that loud, annoying guy, who eats more than his share of food, drinks more than his share of booze, hits on every woman there, even ones he's knows are taken, talks too loud, and sometimes you just want to get away from him and chill on the couch. From what I've read, TT's are "that guy" sometimes. lol.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 11:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

Only my cherry boys go running around. The girls seem to enjoy thinking they're hidden from view. I've got a few orange bees left, and when they were young.. they'd go nuts for squash.. but now I only ever see two gigantic girls in my 29.. always behind or under something.. last time I checked, the water was near 17 degrees hard and a ph of 7.8 ish.. very alkaline
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 11:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

GeToChKn is correct. Tigers are totally different from neos.....much more aggressive.

It's like dogs, some are couch potatoes and some breeds need to run miles each day.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Invert Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
pH is a bit low but in the pH-neo thread, lots of people had them in that pH or even lower and breeding.

I think it's maybe more the TT's. I've never kept them, but from everyone else's accounts, they are an aggressive shrimp, food wise, breeding wise. Make great cross breeding with other caridina's because they will do it with anything. lol. That could be making the neo's a bit more calm and staying out the way.

Ever been at a party and that loud, annoying guy, who eats more than his share of food, drinks more than his share of booze, hits on every woman there, even ones he's knows are taken, talks too loud, and sometimes you just want to get away from him and chill on the couch. From what I've read, TT's are "that guy" sometimes. lol.
Could not help but laugh my arse off at that one. LOL.

The TTs are just too cute. I am worried I don't have a female out of my four tigers.

I completely understand what you mean. I hope they all get along.

*Retired for now*
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Invert Warrior

Thanks Hedge. They're both really cute.

*Retired for now*
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 11:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post

The TTs are just too cute. I am worried I don't have a female out of my four tigers.
Did you only buy 4 tigers or were there more? If you only purchased 4 and got all males then that's pretty strange. I believe you have around 6% chance of that happening.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Invert Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
Did you only buy 4 tigers or were there more? If you only purchased 4 and got all males then that's pretty strange. I believe you have around 6% chance of that happening.
Lol why only six percent? But these were a gift, I would consider buying more and just ditching the neos :P

*Retired for now*
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 12:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
Lol why only six percent? But these were a gift, I would consider buying more and just ditching the neos :P

haha. It's been some years since I took statistics but I think the calculation is .5 to the 4th power. Each time you pull a shrimp it's a 50/50 chance that you'll get a male....it's pretty difficult to do 4 times in a row. Try flipping a coin 4 times and see how frequently you get heads or tails one after another.

This is all contingent on whether the shrimp sample was in fact 50% males and 50% females.

I think I'm getting way off topic here...I guess this is a good time to sign off and go get some takeout food for dinner.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Invert Warrior

Hahah. Well I appreciate the math.

Not really off topic we quickly covered - funnily too, I might add - my question and things surrounding it.

*Retired for now*
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 12:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

My TTs bred with my CRS and Red Tigers, and I have a large selection of orange/tiger striped shrimps in this tank. I moved out all the CRS and Reds to another seperate tank and am leaving these hybrids with the TTs to see what happens in the next generation. They breed like rabbits and will attack anything that remotely looks like the opposite sex whether its a TT or not.

Laughed at that guy at the party...we've all had one at one time or another, and YES these TT are always buzzing around while the neos just hang out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode