Shrimp feeding schedule? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Shrimp feeding schedule?

Hi all, I have started my first shrimp tank and I am trying to get a good breeding colony of fire red RCS going I have had them for about a month now. I have already had one batch of shrimplets born and I have one shrimp berried at the moment! How often should I feed them? I definitely don't want to deprive them of food, but, I also have an issue with several types of snails in my tank and I don't want to help them out. The tank is 10 gallons, with ~10 adults and about 20 (hopefully more soon) shrimplets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 10:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

My schedule for my shrimp in my 15G is Mon, Wed, Fri. For my 3G nano, it's Tue, Thurs, Sat.

I would recommend putting their food in a dish of some sorts so you can pull it out later that day. Also, only put a little bit of food and leave it in the tank for 2-4 hours, then pull it out.

The Fraternity of Dirt #42
Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I see. What kind of "dish" would you recommend? Something like a jar lid?
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 10:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'm not sure about a jar lid... it should be stainless steel if you are going to be putting into an aquarium for a few hours, otherwise it could rust and not be good. Even something like a shot glass would probably work out as well

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 10:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If you like aesthetics than buy a petri dish. Many people on this forum have some for sale.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 11:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyWithTheFish View Post
If you like aesthetics than buy a petri dish. Many people on this forum have some for sale.
That too... I got mine from h4n... hit him up!

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 11:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

man..mine shrimp are always full...they pretty much have food 24/7.

I add almond leave in there and with the amount of moss...they are always full...

Eheim Pimp Club #506
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 11:54 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

If you google around, you can find small Pyrex dishes for a couple bucks.

My favorite feeding dish lately is a small, unglazed terracotta tray (for a small flower pot). Perfect for smearing on Repashy products, as well.

In my tanks with hundreds of shrimp, I feed every other day and always have almond leaves and other litter in the tanks. In tanks with just 20-30 shrimp, I feed a few times per week.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 12:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
If you google around, you can find small Pyrex dishes for a couple bucks.

My favorite feeding dish lately is a small, unglazed terracotta tray (for a small flower pot). Perfect for smearing on Repashy products, as well.

In my tanks with hundreds of shrimp, I feed every other day and always have almond leaves and other litter in the tanks. In tanks with just 20-30 shrimp, I feed a few times per week.
+1 to all that. I use the clay dishes and feed my PFR's with a few hundred in there every other day and my CRS, usually the same feeding pattern but very little. 1/8th of an algae wafer or 2 bloodworms or something small.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 05:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

jw but what do the almond leaves do?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 08:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepacific View Post
jw but what do the almond leaves do?
pretty a good source of food for my shrimp and does many benefits

Eheim Pimp Club #506
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 09:15 AM
SCAPEr

Question, most specialized shrimp food are hard solid. How is it possible for shrimps to chow down all the food in 2-4 hours frame? I left my food overnight (8hrs) and some shrimps still munch on it in the morning when I wake up.

Maybe it's better to soak the hard solid pellet in a cup of water before adding to the tank? So shrimps can easily eat it. Anyone ever done this?

I asked this because my parents thought me never throw food away, I guess I'm passing it down to my shrimps. (I do use the glass dish so won't be problem for littering)
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The food tends to get soft really fast. While overall it may look like a solid piece to you, they are pulling tiny particles of food off of it. I never take food out, and I constantly rotate which foods I am feeding them. Generally they are fed every other day, and typically within 5 hours, (with the help of a pygmy cory) all of their food is gone. No one ever seems to get left out though.

Fluval Flora Pimp #34, 40b Congo Puffer Tank,
75 Gallon High Tech
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 01:43 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Really depends on the food. Some are designed to hold up for an extended period without fouling water and some aren't.

For instance, Repashy will hold up for a long time. One of the foods I sell is designed to hold up for a long time without breaking down. But some things like generic algae wafers and even another food that I sell begin to break down immediately.

With those that break down quickly, I tend to feed them in tiny amounts. If they're devoured quickly, I add more.

After a couple feedings, you'll generally have a sense of how much your critters will eat of a particular food and you'll know what to feed from there on out without having to leave things in for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
Question, most specialized shrimp food are hard solid. How is it possible for shrimps to chow down all the food in 2-4 hours frame? I left my food overnight (8hrs) and some shrimps still munch on it in the morning when I wake up.

Maybe it's better to soak the hard solid pellet in a cup of water before adding to the tank? So shrimps can easily eat it. Anyone ever done this?

I asked this because my parents thought me never throw food away, I guess I'm passing it down to my shrimps. (I do use the glass dish so won't be problem for littering)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode