Akadama, no thanks - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 03:16 PM
Wannabe Guru
that is so weird, mine are close to 6. i have to add crushed coral to one of them for my neos.

i did some water changes with tap and it raised the ph tho, i wonder what is in tap that does that.

when i wasnt doing any water changes and only di water top offs the ph was 5.6 for 6 months.

Liam! i set up my shrimp tanks following the instructions on your website! that is why i bought akadama! lol!!

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!
Sponsored Links
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 03:20 PM
Planted Member
I have to agree with Liam. I experienced the same problem. Random shrimp loss with bad molt. My 2 years old Amazonia tank are much more stable. Now I will have to tear down 6 Akadama tanks that I just set up about 6 months ago . I'll redo them with New Amazonia. No more Akadama ;/
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 04:21 PM
Wanabe BKK Herder
I’m suddenly so glad I get a hold of this stuff when I tried earlier in the year …
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
Do you guys use UGF with the New Amazoina??
No More Akadama for me!!
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 06:41 PM
Planted Member
I recommend using undergravel filter with New Amazonia especially when you have trouble with lowering Ph. You can either connect it to the intake of your canister or just use an air pump.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 06:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru
I have half a UGF plate under about 4" of netlea soil hooked up to a HOB Aqueon filter. Buffers in no time and keeps my pH around 5 and clears the water in no time.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
These pants? are fancy.
Originally Posted by plamski View Post
Liam check your PH meter.I almost kill all my shrimps because of failure PH meter.
My Akadama is 6-8 months old and it is buffering to 7ph. Iím adding tennis bal size peat moss per tank and it keep PH 5.6-5.8 for 50-60 days.
When I started the tank substrate discharge GH just a little bit. I have 2 tanks with it one CRS and one CBS
There are 20-50 babies in each. Will see how they will do in future.
I tested with liquid because I didn't believe my pH meter. It was really that high. Like I said before it was empty of shrimp, just had plants in it. I took all shrimp out a few months ago because they were steadily dying. Good thing too, pH went through the roof!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode