Ramshorns in a vase/bowl - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
Ramshorns in a vase/bowl

If I took a small bowl\vase and put nothing in it but a few ramshorns, maybe an anubias or java fern on a piece of driftwood or cholla, how often would I have to do a water change (assuming feeding was kept under control)? How hardy are these guys?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 07:30 PM
Wannabe Guru
I breed blue ramshorns in a 1g glass bowl with nothing but Java moss and occasional lettuce feedings.

I do 80% water changes once every 2-3 weeks, if I can remember to. They appear to be growing fine, no pits or flaking of their shells, and I see egg clutches all over the bowl. Have not had a single death since I put them in there. I don't think they require anything besides water and food. *shrug*
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 07:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru
how large is the bowl?

you dont want to use anubias in case it affects the ramshorns negatively. i'd rather go for java fern.
they're hardy. if its a tiny vessel then i'd do daily water changes by replacing the water with water from your main fish tank. if its a larger vase around 1/2 gal - 1gal+ then just do a water change once a month or something. in the beginning you'll want to do one more frequently than that though. once it establishes, you can get away with less.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
snails are pretty unkillable. i have a few in my tank i just set up that is cycling with aquasoil with ammonia and nitrite of 2-3 ppm and i think a few baby snails that hitch hiked from some plants. so i wouldnt worry about the snails. just change the water out when it gets mucky i guess or if the snails start crawling to the surface of the water.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 07:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
why not just make a walstad bowl like newman's. put a bit of substrate and easy plants and snails. it'll look nice and you'll have less work in the long run.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 07:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru
^ that can work too. since its just snails, and not even show snails, you don't have to do that many water changes at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode