Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 01:59 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

That's definitely too low.

Are you using a liquid kit or a probe?
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ended up buying cheap pH probe because API goes only to 6.0. Do you know of any liquid test that will measure in the 4.0 - 6.0? Probe is measuring a tank that is 6.4. Know general causes of low pH? I know I can put some corals to raise the pH, but since the CRS are breeding, etc, did not know if I should mess with raising pH too quickly.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 03:15 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

What's in the tank? Substrate, wood, rock, etc?

Sounds like something isn't calibrated.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 03:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyfish88 View Post
ended up buying cheap pH probe because API goes only to 6.0. Do you know of any liquid test that will measure in the 4.0 - 6.0? Probe is measuring a tank that is 6.4. Know general causes of low pH? I know I can put some corals to raise the pH, but since the CRS are breeding, etc, did not know if I should mess with raising pH too quickly.
this just confused me. so do you have 2 tanks one with the ph of 4.2 and one of 6.4? i say if they are breeding they are happy and ok. can you give more detales about the set up like are you using a buffering substrate. is there drift wood? i know in my 1 gal tanks i put some drift wood in and in a matter of 2 days it took my ph from about 7.5 down to 5. might have been lower as my kit measures 5, 6,6.5 and in .5 increments after that up to like 8.5 or something. so tank size might play a part. what are the other parameters too that might play a roll in it. have you tested your water right out of the tap and then 24 hours later after it has been setting out to degas? i know my tap can go from PH in the high 8's down to about 7 after sitting a while
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

just tested my 55g low tech tank - cardinals, clown loaches, rasboras, lots of plants has large driftwood (which I had removed another several weeks ago). reading at 3.3 using the probe. will do a 20% WC and see new readings.
think my husband has industrial pH meter at work, will have him test all my tanks. this is so shocking.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 03:21 PM

I don't think there are any commonly available commercial kits that will measure pH that low.

However, if you can get methyl red, it will bed red at pH lower than 4.4 and yellow at 6.2 (and all the shades of orange in between).

Anthony

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 03:44 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

You don't have pH of 3.3. Your meter needs to be calibrated. A nice liquid test kit will be fine, as it's doubtful you have pH below what it can read.

What's your KH? GH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyfish88 View Post
just tested my 55g low tech tank - cardinals, clown loaches, rasboras, lots of plants has large driftwood (which I had removed another several weeks ago). reading at 3.3 using the probe. will do a 20% WC and see new readings.
think my husband has industrial pH meter at work, will have him test all my tanks. this is so shocking.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 04:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Your probe should have come with calibration liquid. Even my cheapo ebay one did. Something isn't right. I use one of strongest buffering substrate out there, Netlea and I get down to 5pH. I don't know what could drop it down to 3.3pH. I couldn't even get that low in pure black peat extract when I was playing with peat.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
You don't have pH of 3.3. Your meter needs to be calibrated. A nice liquid test kit will be fine, as it's doubtful you have pH below what it can read.

What's your KH? GH?
KH: 1 - 2
GH: 5 - 6

I just received this meter 2 days ago and calibrated using 7.0 buffer today. The only reason I purchased the meter was due to uncertainty of the pH in the tanks below 6.0 per API test.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
Your probe should have come with calibration liquid. Even my cheapo ebay one did. Something isn't right. I use one of strongest buffering substrate out there, Netlea and I get down to 5pH. I don't know what could drop it down to 3.3pH. I couldn't even get that low in pure black peat extract when I was playing with peat.
since I can't read the Chinese writing and feels more like dry powder that I need to mix - only thing on there is "make up 250ml" any idea if I am to add 250ml distilled water to the powder to get buffer solution. That's why I had some industrial 7.0 soln to use.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 04:34 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Your fish would be dying in pH that low, as that acidity would damage their gills quickly.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Yes, mix with 250ml RO/DI water.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
What's in the tank? Substrate, wood, rock, etc?

Sounds like something isn't calibrated.
Tank reading 4.2 (lava rocks, aquasoil - this has been the same setup for over 1 yr and only last months did it veer away from a stable 6.2.

Tank reading 4.4 (reg Petco gravel)

Tank reading 3.3 (river rock natural gravel, large piece of driftwood (removed 1 already).
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Algae Grower

A ph of 3-4 is vinegar. You need another test kit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode