CPO's information and compatablity? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

CPO's information and compatablity?

I saw these guys in my lfs show tank... i like them but not finding to much specific information on them. I did some reading and hearing mixed results... First of all what is their general care? high or low ph? i read some people said they keep them with fish and shrimp no problem and others say they are terrors... Is this just one of those cases where is is personality of your cpo or is it about giving them the right environment?
how big do they get? what is a fair price and are they hardy (can i buy from a lfs or should i worry about quality)
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Ok, fair price is about $8-10 a piece IMO. pH ranges I've read are from 6.8-8.0 I haven't even tested the pH in my tank. I have 5 in a 10 gallon. You have to have LOTS of hiding spaces or they will fight and can maim or kill each other, especially after molting when they are soft. They aren't as aggressive as other species I've read about. I've only seen about 3 real good fights in my tank but no injuries yet (they are still growing). I think max size is about 2 inches. As far as fish I've hear varying reports. I put a female betta in with them but she tried to hunt them and they started hiding all the time. Though they did get some licks in on her fins while she was sleeping apparently. I took her out after about 3 days so they could come out again. Some folks keep them with shrimp, I haven't personally tried this yet. I've got 2 caves for each CPO plus a couple extra hiding spaces. They are way cute and super fun to watch. Their fights never make me think 'Oh no I have to break this up!' Most of it is silly pillow fight with claws type stuff. I've only had mine a little over a month and I'm still learning about them myself.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

is it easy to breed or even sex these guys?
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 11:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You can sex them a couple of ways, something about a V shape on the belly (males) and their little swimmerretts being more flexible (females). As far as breeding mine aren't breeding yet so can't tell ya personally there. The mothers eat their young so without enough hiding places or LOTS of moss, survivability will be slim.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

are they all orange? as some seem redder or not as bright orange...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode