The Planted Tank Forum banner

Red tiger shrimps mutation or.....?

3K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  plamski 
#1 ·
Here is the picture of the shrimp I've got from red tigers. I have 30-40 tigers there are 4 juvenile like this one.
Toss them away or breed them-that is the question.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I have many of those in my tanks. according to other people here they are just plain tigers.

"The Red Tiger Shrimp is the red-striped sibling of the common Tiger Shrimp. Instead of black stripes it has red stripes which make it a very cool looking shrimp. Its coloration is not selectively bred nor a mutation of the common Tiger Shrimp. It is red-striped in the wild."

-planetinverts.com

#8 ·
Umm... any species can have a variation, there's no shrimp species that has a 100% genetic consistency, that would require generations of inbreeding to eliminate all the recessive traits.

I've had RCS give birth to a Yellow Neo, when they grew up it was still yellow, and that is where the Yellow Neo species began to be bred from, variations like that. In this case, the normal tiger is a Red Tiger with different genes, ones that make it brown/gold instead of clear and red. It's the layer of pigments in their shell.

#14 ·
Now I'm looking at my shrimp and I'm disappointed they didn't grow up and get accepted into Harvard like Speedie's...

.... .......... ......... .......... .......... .......... ...............
.............. .................
.... ...... .......... .......... ........ ........
... Daddy needs another drink

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.