Feeding Stinging Nettle - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Feeding Stinging Nettle

When I was living in Poland as a little kid this stuff grew all over. For some reason I cannot find any in the northeast unless I'm looking in the wrong places.

I went on ebay and purchased some seeds yesterday for a few bucks and will attempt to grow these in my apartment. They can't be that hard to keep alive since I remember them growing as if it was a pest on the side of the road.

Reason why I want to start feeding this to my shrimp is calcium. Check out the nutrition facts below....doesn't even compare to spinach in terms of calcium. Lots of shrimp breeders in Europe supplement stinging nettles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 01:50 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

They can take ages to sprout but once they do, they'll thrive under a daylight CFL.

I find their cell walls break down better when frozen than spinach. Much more convenient to feed.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
They can take ages to sprout but once they do, they'll thrive under a daylight CFL.

I find their cell walls break down better when frozen than spinach. Much more convenient to feed.
Yikes, had no idea it would take that long. I noticed that they sell roots on ebay as well. Do you think there would be an advantage over just the seeds?
post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 02:11 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Growing from seed always gives me the best results indoors. They're awfully finicky for being a weed, though.

Some say you have to cold stratify in the fridge but I've never done that. Just keep the soil moist and the lighting strong and they'll sprout in the same amount of time it would take to stratify (a month or a month and a half).

I've got a pot of them in my office that are on their third year. The first year, they were rather small. Second year? They exploded. Looking like they're going to be much bigger with their coming growth spurt in year three.

Since you keep shrimp, I think you'll really enjoy growing them. Can also take them outside in the summer if you want. I never do, as I don't want to risk pests or having something chow down on them.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Growing from seed always gives me the best results indoors. They're awfully finicky for being a weed, though.

Some say you have to cold stratify in the fridge but I've never done that. Just keep the soil moist and the lighting strong and they'll sprout in the same amount of time it would take to stratify (a month or a month and a half).

I've got a pot of them in my office that are on their third year. The first year, they were rather small. Second year? They exploded. Looking like they're going to be much bigger with their coming growth spurt in year three.

Since you keep shrimp, I think you'll really enjoy growing them. Can also take them outside in the summer if you want. I never do, as I don't want to risk pests or having something chow down on them.
Awesome, thanks for the tips. I should be getting them this week so I'll get right to it.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 02:15 PM
Invert Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to dougolasjr
Quote:

Do you used them to feed your shrimp?

BAMA AGAIN!!!
ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
-Doug
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 02:18 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougolasjr View Post
Do you used them to feed your shrimp?
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Yep.
Do you blanch them or just raw?
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 02:28 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

They're easy to blanch. But since they're thinner than spinach, their cell ways break down really well when frozen. So I usually stick them in the freezer and then feed them.

Freezing works really well when you have a ton of leaves and need to save them.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 02:51 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Here's a look at a first-year crop that's about 100 days old:

The small growth is about 20 days old.

Grows about 10x faster in the second year.
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 02:58 PM
Children Boogie

Here's a plant database of weeds. You can search for edibles. There are tons.
http://www.pfaf.org/user/plantsearch.aspx

post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 03:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

Urgh, those pics give me the shudders ! When i lived in England they were all over the place, and as kids we were always getting stung by them ...... I can feel the burning itching sensation now ha ha.
Is it the actual leaf or stem that stings you ?

“We didn’t underestimate them. They were just a lot better than we thought.” -Bobby Robson

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 03:16 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Leaf. Tiny little silica "hairs" that jab you.
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 04:51 PM
Invert Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to dougolasjr
Wow that is slow growing.

BAMA AGAIN!!!
ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
-Doug
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 05:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have a friend with a small farm with some chickens I always see it there and stay away from it, as a kid growing up in Poland I fell in to this stuff many times and it stings if you touch it. Next year I will go picking the stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode