Anybody interested in writing a book? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Invert Warrior

Anybody interested in writing a book?

Just throwing this out there..

I'd kill for a great book on the tricks and trials of raising shrimp for fun and gains.

Topics would definitely be setting up an aquarium, different types of water, suitable plants, wood and rocks, a small bit on growing plants and lights, different species, a section on each shrimp group, a section on rumors, a section on compatible tankmates and a section on tips and tricks.

If anybody who has been keeping shrimp for a long time would be willing to contribute to a book, I'd love to organize information, contribute what I can and edit.

Just throwing it out there, as I've been thinking about the first book I want to write/edit.

If there is anybody who has a wealth of knowledge (you shipper, breeder, seller and long time hobbyists) then respond or PM me.

*Retired for now*
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 04:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

If such a book were to be made, I'd buy it.
post #3 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Invert Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
If such a book were to be made, I'd buy it.
Glad to hear it. I hope someone steps forward to lead it lol.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

*Retired for now*
post #4 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 05:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
Glad to hear it. I hope someone steps forward to lead it lol.

I think there should be like a collab of experts from TPT writing it.

I think this might be something....

http://www.gtaaquaria.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24249
post #5 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Invert Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznrice247 View Post
I think there should be like a collab of experts from TPT writing it.

I think this might be something....

http://www.gtaaquaria.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24249
I agree, I'd love to get some of these 10,000 post people submitting me information that I could compile and organize.

That is quite interesting.

I see other people, like Francis Xavier, who are making really good guides, but there are thousands of customers who already would purchase these books, not to mention if someone like Nick (Speedy) was a photo contributor.

*Retired for now*
post #6 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Invert Warrior

-- Double post

*Retired for now*

Last edited by MABJ; 10-25-2012 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Double post
post #7 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 05:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
would love to help but dont think i would be a good person to have advise cause i do things backwards to what most on here to them lol
post #8 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Invert Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
would love to help but dont think i would be a good person to have advise cause i do things backwards to what most on here to them lol
Not necessarily true.

Heres how I will do it.. I'd love to get a team of contributing 'writers' so to speak.. Even if we get a main 'writer' or information supplier, we still could have a team for support.

Anybody interested in supplying advice surely can if it is deemed good advice by the rest of the team.

Once we get the team together (I suppose if we do..) then we can use Google Docs to keep track of everything..

*Retired for now*
post #9 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 11:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

Lol I love the maneater google docs commercial.
post #10 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Hate to rain on the parade... but... the hobby changes so frequently and information about shrimp is fluctuating at such a rapid pace that I'm not sure it's possible to compile a book that's anything more than really good opinion.

Maybe in five or ten years there will be enough tried and true information that's accepted worldwide to compile something worthy of widespread publication.

I really, really wish it were possible now, though. Especially on a scientific front.

There are more and more journal publications about freshwater inverts lately. So that's a positive sign.
post #11 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 02:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Hate to rain on the parade... but... the hobby changes so frequently and information about shrimp is fluctuating at such a rapid pace that I'm not sure it's possible to compile a book that's anything more than really good opinion.

Maybe in five or ten years there will be enough tried and true information that's accepted worldwide to compile something worthy of widespread publication.

I really, really wish it were possible now, though. Especially on a scientific front.

There are more and more journal publications about freshwater inverts lately. So that's a positive sign.
Ninja'd. lol. Was about to post the same thing, everything changes, everyone has a different opinion on what type of water is needed, everyone has an opinion on where this mutated or this came from.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
post #12 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 02:41 PM
Algae Grower

The invert market is fresh and upcoming so I think there is a lot of potential here. The book/guide could be a collection different opinions. There's a lot of value in showcasing different schools of thought and stacking them against each other.

Word of advice, make an ebook version first and test the market before you invest in publishing something that may/may not sell. Ebooks require no initial investment, can be updated immediately and don't require lengthy publisher approval cycles.

I'm an online marketer and have helped dozens of people launch products like ebooks. If you're looking for help I would be interested in a joint venture where I would take care of marketing for you (at no cost to you), you could just focus on the content and together we both benefit if it sells. Shoot me a PM asap if you're interested, would love to take on the challenge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Current Tank: ADA 120P Iwagumi
[Buildup Questions 120P Lighting? | 120P Filter?] | 120P Hardscape?
Previous Tank: 7.9g Fluval Flora
post #13 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Invert Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post

Truth be told, I'm disappointed you said this, as you were one person I hoped would contribute.

I've been thinking about this since I helped start the invert forum at AA.

My thoughts were despite there being much changing information, there is also a lot of false information, much of which we can all dispel. There are a plethora of experts to hobbyists here who keep shrimp successfully, and who can keep parameters at what shrimp love.

A question.. Where do you find these freshwater journals? I found one from an English scientist who published papers on new shrimp species being discovered.

I just feel like with an exploding population of shrimp keepers, a book on the basics is necessary for them.

I agree it should be an Ebook on Amazon first, but the nice thing about that is if we have some revelation, we can always update it or put out a new a new edition.

*Retired for now*
post #14 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Invert Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkatraz View Post
The invert market is fresh and upcoming so I think there is a lot of potential here. The book/guide could be a collection different opinions. There's a lot of value in showcasing different schools of thought and stacking them against each other.

Word of advice, make an ebook version first and test the market before you invest in publishing something that may/may not sell. Ebooks require no initial investment, can be updated immediately and don't require lengthy publisher approval cycles.

I'm an online marketer and have helped dozens of people launch products like ebooks. If you're looking for help I would be interested in a joint venture where I would take care of marketing for you (at no cost to you), you could just focus on the content and together we both benefit if it sells. Shoot me a PM asap if you're interested, would love to take on the challenge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Well I certainly love the enthusiasm. I know - even if just by reading his posts - somewhatshocked is an amazing writer too.

There's so much talent here, and I know a TPT collaboration would be fun.

So yes when we figure everything out, your help would be amazing.

I do appreciate a reality check, however shocked and GeTo

*Retired for now*
post #15 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 03:34 PM
Planted Member

A few hobbyist at loaches.com did this, http://www.loaches.com/loach-book-pu...online-editors . You may want to contact some of them to see how the experience went for them.

I think a magazine would be a better idea, especially with all the fluctuation of information.

If success or failure of this planet and of human beings depended on how I am and what I do. How would I be? What would I do?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode